• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

crow1503

Reaction score
When it comes to calfskin dress shoes. Nothing beats Saphir renovateur. I like it quite a lot. Other options that u can consider are:

1. Venetian Shoe Cream
2. Chamberlain's Leather Milk Boot & Shoe Cream Formula No. 6
3. Brick 4

Regards. AJ
so other then calfskin VSC is not a bad option right?
if I have a kudu leather is it okay to use VSC?
We (Pure Polish) make a Conditioner/Cleaner Cream that is coconut oil & beeswax based (lowest rancidity rate of any oil, and anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties). You can get it if you’re in the US easily direct, but foreign we’re still working on. Also: smells like oranges.

It’s “Bick 4” short for Bickmore. There are no waxes in it, as it’s a Conditioner only. So follow-up routine is usually necessary for proper shoe care/protection. This combination is what some people have tailored to their routines.*

*Just wanted to clarify, for posterity purposes.
Is there any chance you do international shipping? Oh wow, the shipping charge is almost twice the price of the product. I hope I can try your product :D
This topic has been discussed many times on this thread, so I'll just summarise what I myself do.
I have experience of just two conditioners: Bick4 and GlenKaren (now Pure Polish) cleaner/conditioner and use them for different purposes.
In general
First and foremost, the shoes must be clean from any schmutz, so you might want to brush them well. If needed, pass over them a slightly damp cloth, let the leather dry and then brush again.
I try not to apply any product on wrinkled leather, so I put shoe trees in my shoes, or better (since even lasted shoe trees often don't fill completely the shoe) I stuff my hand in them and try to distend as much as possible, from the inside, the area I'm working on.
You want to work on a limited area at a time, e.g. the vamp (part of the shoe between laces and toecap), and each quarter.
I usually do not apply but the tiniest amount of conditioner over the toecap, because the stiffener under it makes the leather almost unlikely to move and because I like to shine the toecaps and I found the process is simpler if I only put wax on.

Bick 4
Is a water based, very thin fluid, that I use mostly on new - or unpolished - shoes.
I usually pour some (not a lot, but not a smidgen either) Bick4 directly on the leather and then spread it over the leather, first with two fingers, then with the whole palm of my hand. I don't use any rag beacuse Bick4 is quite fluid and I don't want a piece of cloth to absorb my "precious fluids".
I rub the leather in a quick motion, since I like to think that the friction-induced warmth helps the conditioner to be absorbed by the leather rather than just sit on it.
When the fluid seems absorbed, I let it sit for about an hour, then brush a lot, rub the shoe with a rag and then brush again.
Done, and ready for any further application of shoe cream and/or polish, at your liking

Pure Polish cleaner/conditioner
It's a thicker product (think about butter), with a pleasant smell of orange. It has some wax in it, so it gives the shoe a moderate shine too.
I find it useful when shoes need to be purged from any excess of products or just to give them a deeper cleaning.
Better to use it with a cloth, to collect and remove the dirt softened by the cleaner.
Wrap your finger in the cloth, touch the cleaner (a little goes a very long way), then rub it in circles on your shoes.
I work on a limited surface at a time and don't put too much pressure: the weight of my hand is more than enough.
This because I'm afraid that excessive pressure might lead to uneven cleaning and create darker or lighter patches on my shoes.
When I am happy with the cleaning (i.e.: when I like how my shoes look) I let the product sit on the leather for about five minutes, then brush a lot. I repeat the sit/brush process for several times, until I'm happy with the outcome.
Being a totally natural product it don't gives instant results, but I find that the time I spend using it is well rewarded by the outcome: even if using it as a single product, my shoes are clean, with a nice discreet glow and a fine orange smell.

Those are just my experiences - as you see quite limited, but I hope you'll find them useful.
Of course there are more experienced members on this thread, whose advice you might want to hear.

Have fun with the care of your shoes!
Luigi

Thank you guys for the response, maybe, for now, I will stick with the Venetian shoe cream and if I have a chance I will buy some pure polish cleaner/conditioner.

from what I learned VSC is only for conditioning right? if I want to clean my boots (kudu, pull up, etc) is it okay to use a saddle soap?

It's so confusing about cleaning and taking care of the shoes but it's also fun!

Regards.

Last edited:

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have only used the yellow wax polish and not the cream. I would imagine that the cream is 'more yellow' but then Saphir must know there isn't a big market for bright yellow cream! I would think that it would be fine but can't say for sure. I did check with A Fine Pair of Shoes that the wax was good for tan shoes, so it might be worth your dropping them an email to see about the cream. If you do, please share your findings! Yours, Munky.

Will do .. thanks Munky

Nader393

Reaction score
Saddle soap vs. Renomat:

I have these old Alan McAfee boots which I like a lot. Unfortunately there's a black stain on the right boot's toe.
IMG_5130.jpg

I first tried Stubben's saddle soap, since my wife had it left over from her equestrian days. It helped some. I followed it up with some water based automotive leather upholstery cleaner, which didn't do anything.
IMG_5190.jpg

Then I finally got some Saphir Renomat, gave it two treatments, and it helped the most. But still, not a magic bullet.
IMG_5194.jpg

IMG_5196.jpg

IMG_5198.jpg

ShoeWho

Reaction score
I use such a lot of Renomat that I've invested in a half litre bottle. But my hobby is collecting all sorts of old boots, so I need it. The Renomat problem we keep seeing on the forum is people using it on new shoes as if it's just some general cleaner. People also use Renovateur well before the shoes really need it - there's a tendency to buy the whole set of Saphir products and love your shoes to death. A bit like overfeeding a pet.

kevenmee

Reaction score
I use such a lot of Renomat that I've invested in a half litre bottle. But my hobby is collecting all sorts of old boots, so I need it. The Renomat problem we keep seeing on the forum is people using it on new shoes as if it's just some general cleaner. People also use Renovateur well before the shoes really need it - there's a tendency to buy the whole set of Saphir products and love your shoes to death. A bit like overfeeding a pet.

Heard a lot about renoat being harsh, but not renovateur. Any guidelines on when/how to use it?

ShoeWho

Reaction score
Renovateur's the opposite of harsh, but IMO it's not needed until the leather's starting to get dry. Which might take years if the shoes have normal wear a couple of days per week, with cream and polish as required. Then you give the shoes a tiny bit of Renovateur. A liittle goes a very long way.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Renovateur's the opposite of harsh, but IMO it's not needed until the leather's starting to get dry. Which might take years if the shoes have normal wear a couple of days per week, with cream and polish as required. Then you give the shoes a tiny bit of Renovateur. A liittle goes a very long way.
Normal wear is a couple days a week? For the average SFer, the week would have to be 50+ days long to have normal wear!

ShoeWho

Reaction score
I know! I was thinking more of the people who pop in here to ask basic questions about shoes, perhaps their first really high quality pair, but do not become out of control shoe addicts!

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this question really stick with the topic, but guess I will ask it any way.

I have a couple pair of shoes that hurts the top of my big toes. I believe it's caused by the creasing of the upper vamp area. Maybe due to the toe box to be too big? Is there any way I can address this?

Some pairs are pretty snug elsewhere, and the vamp area doesn't feel so big as well, but still hurts my toe.

Last edited:

Nader393

Reaction score
I have a lot of leather in the form of luggage (I have a Mulholland Brothers problem), motorcycle jackets (I have a Vanson problem), automotive upholstery (I have a sporty car problem), and have tried quite a few products on all of them. I only just got into shoes, and followed the recommendations for Saphir products. It's funny how every hobby has its must-have products, and nothing else would do. Like dogma.

Renomat is turpentine with added moisturizers. Probably white from the lanolin. The Renovating Cream seems like a thin-set, quick-drying, pigmented silicone. It worked well on my black John Lobb boots, but took a fair bit of finesse. I also tried the Pommadier cream polish in light brown on those McAfee Jodhpurs after the Renomat cleaning, and it didn't do much.

Since all these moisturizers and leather lotions have the many of the same ingredients in common (beeswax, carnauba, lanolin, neatsfoot oil, etc), I don't think I'll be getting the Renovateur cream until I'm out of my other leather balms. I currently like Leather Honey for black leather (because it darkens), and Skidmore's leather cream for everything else.

DapperAndy

Reaction score
I have a lot of leather in the form of luggage (I have a Mulholland Brothers problem), motorcycle jackets (I have a Vanson problem), automotive upholstery (I have a sporty car problem), and have tried quite a few products on all of them. I only just got into shoes, and followed the recommendations for Saphir products. It's funny how every hobby has its must-have products, and nothing else would do. Like dogma.

Renomat is turpentine with added moisturizers. Probably white from the lanolin. The Renovating Cream seems like a thin-set, quick-drying, pigmented silicone. It worked well on my black John Lobb boots, but took a fair bit of finesse. I also tried the Pommadier cream polish in light brown on those McAfee Jodhpurs after the Renomat cleaning, and it didn't do much.

Since all these moisturizers and leather lotions have the many of the same ingredients in common (beeswax, carnauba, lanolin, neatsfoot oil, etc), I don't think I'll be getting the Renovateur cream until I'm out of my other leather balms. I currently like Leather Honey for black leather (because it darkens), and Skidmore's leather cream for everything else.
We posted and updated an old article of Glenjay’s recently, on “what goes into polish and why” which may answer some of those questions about the different conditioning oils: (we try to remain brand agnostic in the material breakdown) https://www.purepolishproducts.com/...ather-care-blog/what-goes-into-leather-polish

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree will everything u said there

ShoeWho

Reaction score
Not sure if this question really stick with the topic, but guess I will ask it any way.

I have a couple pair of shoes that hurts the top of my big toes. I believe it's caused by the creasing of the upper vamp area. Maybe due to the toe box to be too big? Is there any way I can address this?

Some pairs are pretty snug elsewhere, and the vamp area doesn't feel so big as well, but still hurts my toe.
If I had a too-big toe box I would try adding an insole and/or a so-called Size Adjuster. It's just a bit of foam, you can buy one or make one. Amazon has a selection.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads