• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Munky, I have noticed that whenever I use neutral cream or wax, the applicator cloth takes on colour from the shoe. I imagine it is either dissolving the wax already on the shoe, or some of the factory dye finish. Either way, I find it does start to bring out a nice patina over time.

Yes, thank you for that, English. It raises various possibilities for marginally changing the colour of shoes. I think I will try using the neutral polish on other shoes and see what happens.

However...I have a pair of bright red Boughton's, too and they tended to bleed the colour onto the cloth I was using on them. The only way I could deal with it was to use red polish. Having used bright red polish for a bit, they have now settled down. I think I may see what an application of neutral cream does to them. I can only wear them when I am feeling particularly extrovert as they are such a bright colour.

One thing I had forgotten about: Saphir make a 'yellow' wax and this is really good on tan shoes. It doesn't lighten them but it gives them a bit of a sparkle. I contacted A Fine Pair of Shoes and they confirmed that this wax was aimed at tan shoes. Having said that, I haven't used it for ages. Many thanks, Munky.

Last edited:

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excuse me Munky, if I remember well you have experienced both Saphir and GlenKaren shoe creams.
Would you mind to compare them for us?
Since I started again with shoe care I've used only the latter and my only other experience - centuries ago - has been with Meltonian. A vast range of hues they had!
Yours, Luigi

Last edited:

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excuse me Munky, if I remember well you have experienced both Saphir and GlenKaren shoe creams.
Would you mind to compare them for us?
Since I started again with shoe care I've used only the latter and my only other experience - centuries ago - has been with Meltonian. A vast range of hues they had!
Yours, Luigi

I have used both, too. I have a bit of a sensitive nasal response to Saphir (a slight allergy to turpentine) so, for awhile, I used Glenkaren creams. Both are good but I have gone back to Saphir and to polishing with it, outside of the house. Switching back to Saphir was a pragmatic decision. Saphir only needs to be on the shoes for 5 minutes, before brushing off. Glenkaren needs to be brushed off twice. In the morning, I want things to be as simple as possible. So if the shoes I am going to wear need to be polished, it only takes me about 10 minutes to do them, with Saphir - from applying the cream to having brushed them to a shine.

If you want a 'natural' cream, then GlenKaren is the one. But whether one or the other is 'better', I don't know. I am not sure that I could tell the difference in a blind test. Saphir has the larger range of colours and their cheaper cream has a huge range.

One other thing I do in the final polishing process is to rub the shoes with a microfiber cloth. This adds to the depth of the shine. Yours, Munky

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you Munky. I appreciate your pragmatic approach.
I realize that asking "which product is better" would be a nonsense on my part.
As a matter of fact and as you point out, the only thing that matters is which product suits better one's specific needs and aims.
I don't care too much about the time required because I usually dedicate a couple of hours every week to the care of several pairs of shoes, so I can optimize the time a pair needs to "sit" by working on another.
After this, all I have to do before wearing a pair is to brush it.
I have to admit that I tend to be somehow ansious/perfectionist/anal (feel free to tick the term you think suits best) about the luster I see coming out, so I tend to brush my shoes several times, in the subsequent days, any time I see them.
Here I should keep in mind a wise advice of yours: "to show some restraint".
Sometimes, instead, I picture myself as a fool, drooling from his semi-opened mouth and unaware of the world around, continuously and insanely brushing his shoes.
... Shoes are just shoes, Luigi, shoes are just shoes, just shoes, just shoes ...

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then I am sure you Will gradually change your behave. It's a matter of time. I enjoy wearing my shoes but to polish them is no more relaxIng. Due maintenance is necessary but it is not and end in itself.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ + 10.000 for the wise words and advice and for the pragmatic attitude I have to learn!

ecworks

Reaction score
What would be a good wax (other than neutral) for these Florsheim 93602 Kenmoors:

pic2.jpg

ducducgoose

Reaction score
Here are some pics of what I was trying to describe.

See how it's rough and scratchy looking? I've only used renovator and deer bone and tons of brushing.

The brushing seems to dry it out even more.

Thanks

View attachment 826102 View attachment 826103

View attachment 826104 View attachment 826105 View attachment 826106

I find this on my shells too. I've tried brushing, Reno, and VSC all to no avail. Really hoping to discover a solution...

BenHour, you recommend wax here as well?

IMG_5038.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads