• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vim147

Reaction score
Also do i go for flat or round wax laces ? any good stockists to buy them from in UK.

Satmoche

Reaction score

Also do i go for flat or round wax laces ? any good stockists to buy them from in UK. 

I know that Justin Fitzpatrick - the Shoe Snob - sells flat ones, I have not tested myself so I could not comment on the quality.

EnglishShoes

Reaction score

Look at what you already have on the shoes. Church's tend to have flat waxed laces. Crockett & Jones tend to use round laces.

I just bought a batch of flat and round laces from A Fine Pair of Shoes in the UK and they are a very good match for the originals. Very pleased with my purchase.

Take a lace of your current shoe and measure the length before ordering the right one.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_0229.JPG
I've got an older pair of cordovan shoes (Allen Edmonds MacNeil) that are in great shape. I thought that I should clean them up a little, using a damp cloth (water) at first. There were still some darker blotches of polish, so I went over them again using a little rubbing alcohol on the water-dampened cloth. That helped get rid of most dark blotches of polish. One shoe is darker than the other now. These are burgundy (color #8).

I had planned to use a little VSC, but I'm wondering if I should apply some of the Allen Edmonds cordovan cream (in burgundy) first, to help even out the color. Any suggestions?

The Heat

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I need some help. I have some Loake Buckinghams in dark brown. For the first few months I committed the cardinal sin, I used a shoe cream that was too dark. After a few applications, I noticed that on the left shoe I was getting some irregular darkening. So I cleaned them, then put on better matching cream, and they were still there. I tried a few more times, until I used Lexol to basically take the leather down to a raw, no color state. I then used the new cream. The right shoe looks amazing, but the left shoe now has ugly color irregularities, but they're different than before. The shoe is darker where I cleaned them most vigorously leaving no color behind. It's also a lot duller in those areas. Did I take of some base protective coating or something? Not sure how to proceed, obviously kicking myself...

I've attached a photo that makes it look worse than usual, since I got some rain on them a few days ago, but am waiting on cleaning them until I can figure out what to do with the main problem. Is there any hope?
IMG_3758.JPG

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

vim147

Reaction score
Need to buy new products.

So far i have been using kiwi wax on my unbranded shoes. I have since upped my shoe game and bought black Churchs oxfords and tan Loake Chester brogues.

I want to buy new polishes/wax's from Saphir brand. I already have horse hair brushes and cotton clothes.

What Sahir products would i need for the following,

1. Saddle soap
2. Cleaners
3. Conditioner
4. Colour polish
5. Wax
6. Edge Dressing
7. Sole Conditioner

Am looking to build up my collection of these products so not looking to buy everything at once, also i think some products might be able to use on both shoes i.e polish/wax ?

benhour

Reaction score
View attachment 132372 I've got an older pair of cordovan shoes (Allen Edmonds MacNeil) that are in great shape. I thought that I should clean them up a little, using a damp cloth (water) at first. There were still some darker blotches of polish, so I went over them again using a little rubbing alcohol on the water-dampened cloth. That helped get rid of most dark blotches of polish. One shoe is darker than the other now. These are burgundy (color #8).

I had planned to use a little VSC, but I'm wondering if I should apply some of the Allen Edmonds cordovan cream (in burgundy) first, to help even out the color. Any suggestions?

Gennerally dont use alcohol to clean shoes (especially cordovan) it desolves most of the dyes and leading to removal of a big percentage of the finish/dyes! it is common the collor difernceses (its the beauty of the cordovan ) as most of the times every shoe is from a diferent "hide"!

it is a good idea to use the cream especially on the lighter shoe to even out the color diference! i would prefer renovateur or other cordovan cream than VSC!

benhour

Reaction score
Need to buy new products.

1. Saddle soap
2. Cleaners
3. Conditioner
4. Colour polish
5. Wax
6. Edge Dressing
7. Sole Conditioner
1,7 i think you dont need them at all ! For the soles you can use every other conditioner or wax/ cream polish you have (neutral or you are going to stain everything and you wife ll kill you hahaha) !

Edge dressing is a little tricky to use and you can stain your shoes easily!! Cream/paste polish ll do the trick for you most of the time( 99%)!

Ps. its only me or this update is a pain in the....?

vim147

Reaction score
So i should get ,
Pommadier Cream Polish and Pate-de-Luxe Wax Polish, all in the colour of the shoes or should i get neutral colour so i can use with every shoe ?

What about Renomat and leather balm lotion for the uppers ?

Last edited:

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
But...

Balmoral = Oxford.

vmss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody familiar with bonafe betis calf leather and how do you care for them?

I recently purchase EB derby betis castagna leather. I went to put leather lotion on it and then shoe cream polish on the toe area and it seems the original color was immediately removed became lighter. They react almost same like crust leather I have on my other shoes, it seems that it doesn't absorb the shoe cream.

Any advice would be truly appreciated.

IMG_1689.JPG

IMG_1687.JPG

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Good chance the darker colour is just a build-up of dark cream or polish. The leather lotion you used had a component that acted like a solvent for the wax.

TokenMao

Reaction score
Hey all. Need some help with a pair of JL I purchased off eBay. They came with 3 black lines on the toebox, and when I put a bit of light brown polish on it, it created a black spot / stain as shown below in the pictures. I applied a bit of renomat which lightened it slightly but the black spot is still fairly noticeable. Any advice on how to get rid of it? Thanks!
IMG_4135.PNG IMG_4132.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads