• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have also used Renovateur on my shell shoes. However, I notice that the description of the proper care of Shell Cordovan here:
http://www.hangerproject.com/closet/saphir-cordovan-shoe-polish.html
Indicates that the use of products with Turpentine in them is not recommended for shell cordovan care.
Now it is clear that Renovateur contains turpentine simply by the aroma.
Might this mean that we would not be well advised to use Reno on our Shell shoes?
I'm not saying I actually know. Just raising a topic for discussion.
In any case - the minimal use of polishes and products is widely supported.

Like I posted before, Nick Horween recommends Venetian Creme for shell cordovan and Venetian Creme is Turpentine based, so....

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It happens with top grain leathers. Water gets in between the finish and the pores. It is kind of like putting a wet glass on a table and getting rings. It is normal and when reno is applied it removes some finish and pulls some of the caught moisture out. Also there is dirt mixed in and such. The only real way to avoid it is by piling on a heavy hard wax finish, but that will have other negative affects like getting on your clothes and looking gunked up when creasing and such.
Let me ask you, which obaneaufs product are you using? Try leather oil, which really absorbs into the leather, but also leaves it very matte and oily looking. It will be super impervious to water though.

I'm using the LP. Thing is, I've treated boat shoes, mocs, and boots with this stuff and the water beads up. Why not on my bag?

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm using the LP. Thing is, I've treated boat shoes, mocs, and boots with this stuff and the water beads up. Why not on my bag?

Because your bag is a different sort of leather tannage?

guessing.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

you're probably not using as much on your bag as you do your shoes. I would think since it is a bag your spreading it thinner and subconciously in haste trying to get the surface area finished quicker. Also, your bag might just be more porus and it is soaking more of it up. Unfortunately it is something that we must accept. This is why "they" say not to get leather weat. It is a pain.

Just an experience, I have some shoes with mirror shines on the toes, and if it rains the mirrored tow the water beads up and everywhere else I get the swollen spots. Thicker finish keeps water at bay.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

guessing.

this is a good point, the tannary has a lot to do with it. It depends on how it was tanned and more so the finish the tannary applies to the hide before selling.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

guessing.

this is a good point, the tannary has a lot to do with it. It depends on how it was tanned and more so the finish the tannary applies to the hide before selling.

Ahhh...Good point. That's probably it. Well, that sucks
smile.gif

Just have to actually use my umbrella, not just depend on my Barbour to keep me dry

Stirling

Reaction score
Ahhh...Good point. That's probably it. Well, that sucks
smile.gif

Just have to actually use my umbrella, not just depend on my Barbour to keep me dry

I'd spray your bag with a suede protector, that'll prevent the waterspots etc

Stirling

Reaction score
Sounds like his bag isn't suede as he is putting Obaneauf's LP on it.

Aware of that. Most 'suede protector sprays' (if not all) can safely & effectively be used on most leathers, smooth, grained, nubuck & even some textile materials.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Aware of that. Most 'suede protector sprays' (if not all) can safely & effectively be used on most leathers, smooth, grained, nubuck & even some textile materials.

Don't do it. Overkill, even on suede. imo. I am a big supporter of the least most invasive action works best.

Stirling

Reaction score
Don't do it. Overkill, even on suede. imo. I am a big supporter of the least most invasive action works best.

Depends on the desired result & what you are comfortable with:

If you don't mind your leather goods looking a little weathered, you rely on less products. If you are looking to preserve a looks like new aesthetic you'll need to use products or wear them in a protective environment.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Depends on the desired result & what you are comfortable with:

If you don't mind your leather goods looking a little weathered, you rely on less products. If you are looking to preserve a looks like new aesthetic you'll need to use products or wear them in a protective environment.

Not really. I never apply any of those coatings to my shoes, just do general maintenance and they all look as good as new as they can. I mean don't get me wrong I don't shovel snow, or play football in any good shoes, but all of that stuff is marketing really.

Stirling

Reaction score
Not really. I never apply any of those coatings to my shoes, just do general maintenance and they all look as good as new as they can. I mean don't get me wrong I don't shovel snow, or play football in any good shoes, but all of that stuff is marketing really.

General maintenance is all leather needs to last years & look good, this encompasses weatherproofing.

A lot of it is marketing and no brand seems to have more marketing than Saphir imo.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

General maintenance is all leather needs to last years & look good, this encompasses weatherproofing.

A lot of it is marketing and no brand seems to have more marketing than Saphir imo.

This is all wrong. Just sayin.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads