• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bik2101

Reaction score
recently got a pair of oxfords that fit fine on my left foot but are a bit too tight on my right foot. if i brought this to a cobbler, should this be a fairly easy thing to fix?

bik2101

Reaction score
thanks.. do you think that would be an expensive thing? or should it be fairly cheap?

SHS

Reaction score
I have just had this done at a cobbler. It cost about the equivalent of 13$, and I even had to have it done twice.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You could always find a guy with a really big donkey dick to put it in there for a few days for free. That's what I do. PM me for his deets.

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please don't spread my personal information without asking.

Reaction score
Okay, I don't know if I'm doing it wrong, but I've noticed that my shoes seem to be much more susceptible to water damage after applying Saphir Renovateur. Is it at all possible that even a very light application of renovateur would strip off enough existing polish to make a difference, and that I haven't applied enough cream / wax afterward to compensate?

For reference: here are some pictures of my Loake 1880s. I applied a very thin coat of renovateur after about two months of wear, then put on two thin coats of collonil waterstop cream and a thin layer of Saphir wax. I made sure to let each layer dry competely before buffing with a horsehair brush. The dirt and discolouration you see is exclusively from wearing them in light rain for about a half-hour this morning. I think the toe's only unscathed due to my attempts toward a mirror shine...

Is it Renovateur? Is it me not adding enough polish? Or is this just something I have to get used to when I'm wearing leather shoes in the rain?

(The shoes look better in real life, but only just...)

PAScheel

Reaction score
.....you can see the tiny 'scratches' (in a circular shape) around the brightest reflection.
Does anyone know how to get a glaze without these 'scratches'? Use a softer cloth or a different wax? Press less hard whilst polishing?
Maybe I'm just being too fussy about all of this though.

When I was in the The Royal Life guards I spit polished my boots to be ready for use every third day guarding the Queen. If we had a boot that looked like this we would get a note ( 5 notes equals a fine of approx 100$). To avoid this we used small cotton pads and lots of water. Lots of water should only be used in the end. And use veeeeery little polish. This should do it. I'll spit shine some shoes and post :)

Regards, Philip

PAScheel

Reaction score
.....you can see the tiny 'scratches' (in a circular shape) around the brightest reflection.
Does anyone know how to get a glaze without these 'scratches'? Use a softer cloth or a different wax? Press less hard whilst polishing?
Maybe I'm just being too fussy about all of this though.
In my time in the Royal Life Guards (Denmark) we would get a note for these scratches (5 notes equals a fine of apox 100$). To get rid of these small scratches we used small cotton pads, lots of water and veeeeery lille polish! And change the cotton pads often. To finish we used to breathe on it and use that with the water. I'll spit shine a piar of shoes soon and post :)
regards

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads