• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so this is an old pair of shells I have. original color = "black cherry". they are mostly awesome, but there are some spots on the sides with some black/dark splotches. I don't know if this is original dye wearing off, or old polish, or dirt, or what.

any ideas for how to get rid of it?

DrStrangelove

Reaction score

Well, it depends on whether the darkening is desired or not, of course, but does this happen with even neutral or significantly lighter polish? It might indicate that the leather itself needs conditioning. Use leather conditioner [Saphir Renovateur is great], then let it dry. What it dries to is [at least from my experience] what the leather's color is when it's properly moisturized.

60lnD.jpg

This is what I'm talking about...

Last edited:

mcbrown

Reaction score

Sorry, my mistake. I thought you were asking about renovateur.
This must be renomat:
http://www.valmour.com/cleaning-products/leather-cleaner-renomat-saphir,20
But it is not in the US.

I'm glad we could establish that I do indeed know how to use google. :hide:

Now, for those who have used Renomat, are you (a) physically located in Europe or the UK, (b) paying EUR 23.50 to ship to the US, or (c) sourcing from a US distributor I haven't been able to identify? The shipping cost wouldn't be prohibitive if I could comfortably buy in bulk, but it's a bit steep to get a bottle "to try".

Last edited:

nbernie

Reaction score
I have a pair of Clarks Wallabees that I've been wearing as my go to casual shoe for 3 or 4 years and the toe has parts where the suede nap is gone and its just the raw leather. As these are beaters/look good worn, I dont care, but the leather looks a little dry and I don't want a rip. Suggestions?

nbernie

Reaction score
Reno recommended for suede?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Yes sure,
1st : Universal Shoe Polish Cream this one is from Saphir but you can find from other brand (like Grison). Just a very few, the saphir is good because it doesn't leave white traces.
2nd :Shoe Polish creme Surfine this one is from Grison - saphir is good also, just depend on the colour you want to use - I have at least 4 different brown for this pair of shoes and I alternate them on every polishing session that will give the natural patina. I use an old (soft) toothbrush to apply (the best way to go in every corner specially with brogue) and again I use just very few product.
3rd : Shoe Polish Pate De Luxe from Saphir. For this step I only use Saphir it's the best for me it's an extra shine formula based on beeswax, carnauba wax and turpentine without silicone. I put this only on the toe to make the extra shine with just few drips of water.
As tools you need:
2 brush - the fist one is quiet hard boar-bristle brush to take all the dust off.- the second one is soft natural horsehair brush to make the shine.
One old toothbrush is even better than the dedicated spreading brushes you can find.
Some soft cotton polishing cloth. The best you can have is an old Egyptian cotton sheet.

Thanks for the breakdown.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a pair of Clarks Wallabees that I've been wearing as my go to casual shoe for 3 or 4 years and the toe has parts where the suede nap is gone and its just the raw leather. As these are beaters/look good worn, I dont care, but the leather looks a little dry and I don't want a rip. Suggestions?

Do a web image search for 'waxed suede' and see if you think you might be able to create this effect. I'd start by apply the reno or the wax only to the raw parts and blending backwards with a brush after it sets up.

You might come up with something presentable. Or you might end up throwing them in the trash. I really haven't any idea.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think the real answer is to get rid of the wallabees and get some proper shoes.

resize

:confused:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Patrick!

Those are teh sechs!

Where to KOP!

:crazy:

Last edited:

nbernie

Reaction score
^Yes those look terrible and I'm not going to get into this because I think they're not SF approved but I maintain Wallabees are excellent. Worn in an in chestnut they look good IMO.(College kid, agree it would be weird at older age)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads