• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Axxl

Reaction score
Thanks, I gave it a shot and it does look better. After a few minutes, the color is less grey but it seems as if some of the suede there has gotten "shorter" (the "nap"?). I don't believe this happened now but was already there. Perhaps somehow in my walking, that spot got extra friction with something? Still weird, as it hasn't happened with any of my other loafers.
Before going about it with sand paper you might rather try a brass brush and then some Saphir Suede Renovateur to bring back the original colour.

nevaeh

Reaction score
I haven’t had any resoles since the pandemic. Are J.R. soles still considered the best quality? What’s the going rate for a good resole (trying to make sure my local cobbler is in the right ballpark)?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven’t had any resoles since the pandemic. Are J.R. soles still considered the best quality? What’s the going rate for a good resole (trying to make sure my local cobbler is in the right ballpark)?

In NYC, it's about 125, and yes, JR soles are still considered top of the line.

Gonzogonzo

Reaction score
Does anybody have any advice on how to clean Natural Vegetable Tanned Nubuck? I have a pair of Hender Scheme MIP-17 (Van's Slip-on) need a refresh. Thanks!

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a hole like this in double leather soles, is it possible to just repair with a toppy?

IMG_20230525_132145310.jpg

I'm mad because this is, as noted, double leather, and these haven't even seen that much wear.

Webbo

Reaction score
My Church’s Ryder chukkas had horrible dirty white crepe soles. Andy at Ingmans of Chesterfield in the UK replaced the welt and then installed a light weight Vibram sole . A stunning job that has transformed them. Cannot recommend this passionate family team of craftsmen enough. Thanks guys.

IMG_7785.jpeg

bdc189a2-d8b4-4628-8fad-a71cb710ec5b.jpeg
67527c47-dcc0-42b2-ba64-57adb14f4a10.jpeg
IMG_2078.jpeg
IMG_2077.jpeg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How difficult would you say gluing rubber half soles would be?

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there any way to spot clean suede without shampooing the entire shoe. I got a couple of spots of grease on these last night. They were sprayed with Saphir protectant, but it was no match for the braising liquid of my lamb shank. I tried a light spray of distilled water, wiping amd then brushing but nothing.

20230608_114007.jpg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there any way to spot clean suede without shampooing the entire shoe. I got a couple of spots of grease on these last night. They were sprayed with Saphir protectant, but it was no match for the braising liquid of my lamb shank. I tried a light spray of distilled water, wiping amd then brushing but nothing.

View attachment 1971477

Try a suede eraser, but if not, you might need to shampoo it. Suede can be so finnicky.

MrPogi

Reaction score
Just scored these Ferragamos on one of those apps where people sell second hand stuff. Pretty beat up, but it’s amazing what some bick 4, a shoe brush, and some brown cream polish can do.

Attachments

• IMG_7016.jpeg
    IMG_7016.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7015.jpeg
    IMG_7015.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_7014.jpeg
    IMG_7014.jpeg
    216.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_7018.jpeg
    IMG_7018.jpeg
    300 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_7021.jpeg
    IMG_7021.jpeg
    250.5 KB · Views: 244

FredAstaire1899

Reaction score
Hi All, I'm seeking advice on possible repairs to a torn leather upper. As per the image, the leather has torn or is about to tear on a roughly 2 inch section adjacent to the upper seam. It's not the stitches, it's the leather. It's along the ball of the foot, where my wide foot presses out. The leather lining remains intact underneath and the damage is minor for now.

My instincts suggest a patch would be quite an ordeal and any glue would be temporary and messy. But happy to be corrected.

The shoes are otherwise good, but have seen plenty of wear, so I didn't mind using them for rainy days until they fail.
upper_tear_upload.jpg

MrPogi

Reaction score
Hi All, I'm seeking advice on possible repairs to a torn leather upper. As per the image, the leather has torn or is about to tear on a roughly 2 inch section adjacent to the upper seam. It's not the stitches, it's the leather. It's along the ball of the foot, where my wide foot presses out. The leather lining remains intact underneath and the damage is minor for now.

My instincts suggest a patch would be quite an ordeal and any glue would be temporary and messy. But happy to be corrected.

The shoes are otherwise good, but have seen plenty of wear, so I didn't mind using them for rainy days until they fail. View attachment 1998555
I believe a good cobbler can patch them from the underside and then stitch the seam so that it wouldn’t be visible, but I’m not sure if adding a patch to the inside, especially in that high wear area, would affect the comfort or cause rubbing on your foot. I’d ask the cobbler what your options are, but I think those are salvageable.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The shoes are otherwise good, but have seen plenty of wear, so I didn't mind using them for rainy days until they fail. View attachment 1998555

The reason you got this tear is that this shoe looks visibly dry as hell and otherwise untaken care of.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads