• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CWL317

Reaction score
I think Alden does that with B. Nelson.

Honestly, the problem with going back to the factory is they remove the welt, which means it basically destroys the purpose of having a GYW shoe to some extent, bercause they just nail more holes into the upper by putting on a new welt.
Is that why they say they can only resole a maximum 3-4 times?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
new question…

does anyone know if Crockett & Jones offer a flush toe plate installation service?

I have a pair of unworn Audley that I bought a year ago and would like to fit them with toe plates before I wear them.

As far as I know, they don't.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that why they say they can only resole a maximum 3-4 times?

Yes. Because by removing the welt, you have to sew more holes into the upper, and eventually that makes it swiss-cheesey.

Which again is kind of absurd in respect to having the GYW there -precisely to avoid this-.

CWL317

Reaction score
As far as I know, they don't.
Linking to the other question…I wonder if an independent install of toe plates would void acceptance for factory repair ? I might phone up tomorrow and ask them.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Linking to the other question…I wonder if an independent install of toe plates would void acceptance for factory repair ? I might phone up tomorrow and ask them.

Probably it would, yes. Toe plates actually cut the welt stitching. I only get them on shoes I know I will resole strictly with my cobbler, which admittedly, is pretty much every pair of shoes I own.

The only shoes I might not send to my cobbler are my CNES shoes for resole, as the cobbler said he finds the fiddle waist on those to be a pain up his ass to do himself. Though I would still ask him to take a look regardless.

CWL317

Reaction score
Probably it would, yes. Toe plates actually cut the welt stitching. I only get them on shoes I know I will resole strictly with my cobbler, which admittedly, is pretty much every pair of shoes I own.

The only shoes I might not send to my cobbler are my CNES shoes for resole, as the cobbler said he finds the fiddle waist on those to be a pain up his ass to do himself. Though I would still ask him to take a look regardless.
Would it be better to NOT install toe plates? The shoe snob strongly advocates them on his blog. I’d value your opinion.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would it be better to NOT install toe plates? The shoe snob strongly advocates them on his blog. I’d value your opinion.

Toe plates are worth it if you:

1. Wear down the toes quickly.

2. Don't intend to put a rubber outsole on the leather.

3. Like the look.

4. Stub your toe frequently.

I have toe plates on:

Edward Green Chelsea
CNES MTO spectators
Allen Edmonds Strand in green shell cordovan
Allen Edmonds Dundee in blue shell cordovan
Alden half brogues

I think that's it.

I do notice wear on my toes and I walk on city streets where it is very possible to stub your toe into the concrete a lot, so I like the added protection, as sometimes that can bust the welt clean open if there isn't some metal to take the blow.

CWL317

Reaction score
Thanks JFWR

I’ve had this pair in rotation for 18 months now and as you can see there is wear on the toes. How far can it go before I need to resole?
It’s supposed to be more durable oak bark tanned 😟
48DEE17D-DCEB-4EA7-AF42-EFBCC15C8C5C.jpeg
66D728C5-4F3F-46D1-9B39-4DA00DA8FE5C.jpeg

CWL317

Reaction score
You ca see the stitching at the toe beginning to show due to the wear 😟
4E2B36AC-0F4D-4C3F-BE73-36FABD938A7F.jpeg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You ca see the stitching at the toe beginning to show due to the wear 😟 View attachment 1795277

Yeah, I'd put toe taps on. That would prevent that.

You might even want to talk to your cobbler about putting on toe taps now just to protect the welt, as it looks like the rest of your soles are in nice shape.

CWL317

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd put toe taps on. That would prevent that.

You might even want to talk to your cobbler about putting on toe taps now just to protect the welt, as it looks like the rest of your soles are in nice shape.
Can you install them now even after wearing? I thought it should be done when unworn.
But I don’t want to void factory service though 😖

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you install them now even after wearing? I thought it should be done when unworn.

You can put on toe taps, though it's best before anything is done. But given that they cut the sole off with flush metal toe plates anyway, I don't see why you can't do it even with wear. If anything, it might be easier for the cobbler to do it, as there is less leather to remove.

I mean, the best bet would be to call C&J. Ask them what their policy is and see if they offer it. If you want to just wait till you need a full resole, you can do that, or you can you know make a decision.

The question you have to ask is: Is there any reason to fear that you will need to go to the factory with these shoes?

florent

Reaction score
Alternatively to metal taps, a cobbler can glue rubber taps (not necessarily full Topys, the same size as metal taps) or level up the worn out area with sole leather. Both options are less durable than metal but can be remade as many times as needed and won't mess with the welt stitching.

CWL317

Reaction score
You can put on toe taps, though it's best before anything is done. But given that they cut the sole off with flush metal toe plates anyway, I don't see why you can't do it even with wear. If anything, it might be easier for the cobbler to do it, as there is less leather to remove.

I mean, the best bet would be to call C&J. Ask them what their policy is and see if they offer it. If you want to just wait till you need a full resole, you can do that, or you can you know make a decision.

The question you have to ask is: Is there any reason to fear that you will need to go to the factory with these shoes?
Those are actually EG brogues and I think I would prefer factory repair for peace of mind. I had a pair of Cheaney with Dainite resoled by an independent and it was ok but I’m not sure they used the same quality as the rubber left black marks on hard floor which the original didn’t. Now I can’t get Cheaney to resole in future as they don’t accept shoes previously done by 3rd parties.

Here is the pair of unworn C&J Audley that I bought a year ago. I think I’ll phone them tomorrow to ask if they will do toe plates, and post back about what they say.

D8494F3A-5709-4926-9881-DDF08E33E4B5.jpeg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are actually EG brogues and I think I would prefer factory repair for peace of mind. I had a pair of Cheaney with Dainite resoled by an independent and it was ok but I’m not sure they used the same quality as the rubber left black marks on hard floor which the original didn’t. Now I can’t get Cheaney to resole in future as they don’t accept shoes previously done by 3rd parties.

Here is the pair of unworn C&J Audley that I bought a year ago. I think I’ll phone them tomorrow to ask if they will do toe plates, and post back about what they say.

View attachment 1795289

If you prefer to pay the shipping + insane rates of EG repairs, then I'd just go with them. If money is no option to you, it's best to have peace of mind.

EG might be able to do toe plates. I don't know. I've seen EG with toe plates, so...could be?

I just think it's personally a waste of time/money.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads