• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CWV

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find the Saphir Medaille D'Or Reptile conditioner? I'm from Chile and almost no website ships to my country. I already have Saphir Reptan, but I want to compare.
Hi there. I’m from
Chile to. I buy my sapphire products through ebay, Amazon and skolyx

silentownage001

Reaction score
I bought a couple of Kirby's pig bristle brushes and am pretty happy. They're both the same size by width and length, but have different length bristles. I'm using the longer one on brown grain leather, and the shorter will be dedicated solely to waxed/roughout suede. Not too pricey but Kirby standards and solid quality. Some initial shedding has largely abated.

One thing that I'd probably change is that I'd get both brushes with the shorter bristles as there is a noticeable difference in stiffness, and the whole idea of these brushes is to be much stiffer than horsehair.

How have they been? I've been using a crepe brush on my suede and while it's quite effective at bringing the nap up I think a different kind of brush would be quicker when I want to dust them off real quick.

I was looking at the boar bristle brush and pig bristle brush. I'm leaning towards the pig bristle since I like the rectangular handle over the other style. I also don't think I need anything too stiff as the suede I have isn't roughout and is on the luxurious side.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How have they been? I've been using a crepe brush on my suede and while it's quite effective at bringing the nap up I think a different kind of brush would be quicker when I want to dust them off real quick.

I was looking at the boar bristle brush and pig bristle brush. I'm leaning towards the pig bristle since I like the rectangular handle over the other style. I also don't think I need anything too stiff as the suede I have isn't roughout and is on the luxurious side.

For regular suede, I wouldn't use a pig bristle brush. I use mine only on roughout and waxed suede. I think it would be too harsh for regular suede. I use a combination of a standard suede brush and a crepe brush for regular suede shoes and jackets.

silentownage001

Reaction score
For regular suede, I wouldn't use a pig bristle brush. I use mine only on roughout and waxed suede. I think it would be too harsh for regular suede. I use a combination of a standard suede brush and a crepe brush for regular suede shoes and jackets.

By regular suede brush do you mean a brass bristle brush or something else?

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

silentownage001

Reaction score
This exact one. The crepe brush is from Kirby.

Thank you for the link. I'll pick that up. The combo of the regular brush for dusting and the crepe to pick the nap up will work well.

The brass, pig, boar, etc. definitely concerned me as being too stiff/rough for regular suede. I've heard some people use horsehair, but I did a small test and while it did pick the nap up somewhat it doesn't work the suede that well.

chrfi

Reaction score
I brush my suede shoes with the same horse hair brush I use for other shoes. For daily use that is fine, the purpose of brushing is to remove dust and dirt and for that it works fine. It would be too hard for the suede to brush it always with a very stiff suede brush. I use the specific suede brush only when conditioning the shoes a few times a year.

Goofy

Reaction score
I use this crepe brush which is cheap, effective and won’t damage delicate suede or nubuck.

Attachments

• 3F81CB52-9A74-4326-9A1A-7B7E53CF0DE3.jpeg
    3F81CB52-9A74-4326-9A1A-7B7E53CF0DE3.jpeg
    34.3 KB · Views: 115

silentownage001

Reaction score
I brush my suede shoes with the same horse hair brush I use for other shoes. For daily use that is fine, the purpose of brushing is to remove dust and dirt and for that it works fine. It would be too hard for the suede to brush it always with a very stiff suede brush. I use the specific suede brush only when conditioning the shoes a few times a year.

Thank you for the info.

I dug up the post I read over on SW&D. That user was using horse hair for general brushing and boar for deeper water stains.

For now I'll just add in horse hair. I've already got a crepe brush and suede eraser. I imagine those three items will have me covered. If something happens where those items won't get out dirt/stains then I may try a stiffer brush or it may be time for the Nettoyant.

I use this crepe brush which is cheap, effective and won’t damage delicate suede or nubuck.

Funnily enough, that same brush got posted in the thread and one user said they were told it can tear up the suede. They didn't specify which bristles though. My only guess is if one uses too much pressure that it would damage it. Otherwise I don't see how.

Goofy

Reaction score
Thank you for the info.

I dug up the post I read over on SW&D. That user was using horse hair for general brushing and boar for deeper water stains.

For now I'll just add in horse hair. I've already got a crepe brush and suede eraser. I imagine those three items will have me covered. If something happens where those items won't get out dirt/stains then I may try a stiffer brush or it may be time for the Nettoyant.

Funnily enough, that same brush got posted in the thread and one user said they were told it can tear up the suede. They didn't specify which bristles though. My only guess is if one uses too much pressure that it would damage it. Otherwise I don't see how.
I’ve been using that crepe brush for years with no quarries. I’ll believe it when I see it and will continue using it unless proven otherwise.

silentownage001

Reaction score
I’ve been using that crepe brush for years with no quarries. I’ll believe it when I see it and will continue using it unless proven otherwise.

I'm 100% with you on that. I've been using a crepe brush close to a year and have never had any issues.

Atemporal

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Just a quick question.
I always use Saphir Renovateur as the instructions explain. I buff the shoe 3 minutes after applying the conditioner.
The thing is that I have read some articles on the internet which say that I should leave it overnight.
Kirby recommends leaving Saphir Mink Oil overnight... But that is a different product.
Does anyone have a formed opinion on it?
I wouldn't mind trying it -if that doesn't harm the shoes- to see if that helps to soften a little bit the leather and break in the shoes quicker.
Thanks in advance.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Just a quick question.
I always use Saphir Renovateur as the instructions explain. I buff the shoe 3 minutes after applying the conditioner.
The thing is that I have read some articles on the internet which say that I should leave it overnight.
Kirby recommends leaving Saphir Mink Oil overnight... But that is a different product.
Does anyone have a formed opinion on it?
I wouldn't mind trying it -if that doesn't harm the shoes- to see if that helps to soften a little bit the leather and break in the shoes quicker.
Thanks in advance.
You don't really need to leave it that long. 10-30 min is fine, if you're short on time 5 min is also fine.

Don't over-use the Renovateur, you don't need to apply it every time you polish your shoes. If you're using it on a new pair where you don't know how the leather will react, test it on a small hidden spot first. There have been plenty of mishaps with this product, don't buy into the 'liquid gold' rubbish.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics