• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure, it's 18% carnuba and beeswax or so it says. It's made by the same company as saphir so I assumed their formulation would be similar.

Avel is a big company. They own lots of stuff.

That being said, I have some tarrago I use on my knock around shoes.

dulynoted92

Reaction score
Avel is a big company. They own lots of stuff.

That being said, I have some tarrago I use on my knock around shoes.

Sure they own a lot of stuff, but these are essentially the same type of product. From Saphirs website I see that they listen almond oil carnauba beeswax and turpentine as their ingredients. The tarrago also says all natural, but the only two listed ingredients are the carnauba and beeswax. I have some saphir, some renavateur, mirror gloss, renomat, and their mink oil, but I don't have any of their colored creams to compare and see how they perform. I'm curious how they react to moisture.

Would you be able to do a quick test on a pair of shoes and see if moisture lifts away any of the pigment?

ducatiti

Reaction score
Question, I have some calf and shell shoes dead stock/unused, purchased more than a year ago. I conditioned them with Renovateur and polished them with Saphir products out of the box. They still look the same as the day I polished them. Do you guys recommend me for to condition the leather once again?

ducatiti

Reaction score
Also, any suggestion how to fix this discoloration on my EG’s? Not sure what happened it just appeared when applied Renovateur out of the box.

E9CCDBBB-A886-4653-AF3E-422D210C54C8.jpeg
6FBD1FB1-C1FD-443B-9F2E-06F1875F8660.jpeg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question, I have some calf and shell shoes dead stock/unused, purchased more than a year ago. I conditioned them with Renovateur and polished them with Saphir products out of the box. They still look the same as the day I polished them. Do you guys recommend me for to condition the leather once again?

Do you live in an arid area? If not, then you're fine. If yes, then condition again.

ducatiti

Reaction score
Do you live in an arid area? If not, then you're fine. If yes, then condition again.

Haven't been raining here in the SF Bay Area till the last month or so. Are you talking about humidity?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't been raining here in the SF Bay Area till the last month or so. Are you talking about humidity?

The bay area has good relative humidity, right? If so, the shoes will not have dried out substantially.

If you lived in Vegas I'd say condition them.

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
So I accidentally bought saphir beaute du cuir cordovan cream and not medaille d'or cordovan cream. Does it actually matter?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leather "drying" is not about humidity but is related to oil degradation due to oxidation, microbial action or exposure to water.

I think you're right to some extent, but relative humidity factors in to how quickly things need conditioning. We see this with every other material around: dry conditions dry things out quicker than relative humidity.

Example: arid conditions can mummify flesh.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You're correct. There will always be water content in leather depending on humidity. It happens to hair, which has similar protein structure. There will always be an equilibrium. In dry winter conditions it makes more sense to condition leather more than in the summer, or tropical areas that are humid. Too much conditioning, especially with oil-in-water emulsified conditioners in wet humid conditions can encourage mold growth.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're correct. There will always be water content in leather depending on humidity. It happens to hair, which has similar protein structure. There will always be an equilibrium. In dry winter conditions it makes more sense to condition leather more than in the summer, or tropical areas that are humid. Too much conditioning, especially with oil-in-water emulsified conditioners in wet humid conditions can encourage mold growth.

Yes. That's why veg tanned boots used to rot in the trenches of the great war. They'd basically become untanned from too much moisture.

Last edited:

Franco Ocarez

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find the Saphir Medaille D'Or Reptile conditioner? I'm from Chile and almost no website ships to my country. I already have Saphir Reptan, but I want to compare.

Reaction score
Good day, Does anyone have or know how to obtain a safety data sheet "SDS" for Venetian shoe cream? a week ago, I emailed both C.A. Zoes Mfg Co. "the manufacturer", and the retailer I bought from, but didn't get a reply. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads