• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it alcohol based dye?
I cannot find that information from Fiebings.
However, it does not say “flammable” like their regular dye. I was going to say that it doesn’t smell like it has alcohol, and then I remembered that I really can’t smell much of anything since I had Covid-19 two months ago.

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How would one change the color of eyelets/speedhooks? Will nail polish do the job?

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How would one change the color of eyelets/speedhooks? Will nail polish do the job?
I don't know, but your suggestion seems to be a jeweler's task. I would certainly be afraid to stain the boots and depending on the eyelets/speed hooks material if it would be a long-lasting job because friction from the laces would easily remove the nail polish. Likewise, I think it would be easier to completely change them to your preferred color, a good cobbler could easily do the job.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I cannot find that information from Fiebings.
However, it does not say “flammable” like their regular dye. I was going to say that it doesn’t smell like it has alcohol, and then I remembered that I really can’t smell much of anything since I had Covid-19 two months ago.

Don't know for sure, but I'd imagine it wouldn't work if no alcohol on smooth leather.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have prepared a pair of shoes to dye in a new color.
However, I’m having doubts about my plans. I have some leftover Fiebings suede dye in the color I wanted to use. I’m not sure if I can use that on smooth leather though. Would it be OK?

Don’t do it. Fieblings is about $7 shipped from Amazon. Get what you know will work. If you’re on this site we are likely talking about shoes that retail for $300+. Is it really worth taking the chance?

Last edited:

Goofy

Reaction score
Don’t do it. Fieblings is about $7 shipped from Amazon. Get what you know will work. If you’re on this site we are likely talking about shoes that retail for $300+. Is it really worth taking the chance?
Agree. Personally I’d go with a Saphir dye.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of dye, for reasons too numerous to mention, I decided to recolor my unworn hatch grain EG dovers from brown to black. At around $1,500 with shipping and duties, these are easily my most expensive pair of footwear and as such, this was not a decision I came by easily. But news from Thursday pushed me over the edge and as a result, these.......

20211217_EGDye1.jpg

Have now become these.....

20211218_EGDye9 (2).jpg
20211218_EGDye8.jpg

As they say, the greater the risk the greater the reward. This was tough but I could not be more pleased with the results. Now a pair of shoes that we're struggling to crack the 'browns' rotation has the 'blacks' space all to themselves. They will get plenty of wear.

vim147

Reaction score
Speaking of dye, for reasons too numerous to mention, I decided to recolor my unworn hatch grain EG dovers from brown to black. At around $1,500 with shipping and duties, these are easily my most expensive pair of footwear and as such, this was not a decision I came by easily. But news from Thursday pushed me over the edge and as a result, these.......

View attachment 1722438

Have now become these.....

View attachment 1722439 View attachment 1722441

As they say, the greater the risk the greater the reward. This was tough but I could not be more pleased with the results. Now a pair of shoes that we're struggling to crack the 'browns' rotation has the 'blacks' space all to themselves. They will get plenty of wear.

Cant even tell you dyed them. Looks like you bought them in black.

What was your process ?

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cant even tell you dyed them. Looks like you bought them in black.

What was your process ?

Thanks. As for process, like painting, for me the key is taping. You don’t want any dye bleeding onto the soles and most importantly, on the lining. Won’t effect the external view but EG’s lining is just beautiful and I didn’t want to mess it up when doing the tongue.Once taped up, strip as much of the original dye as possible, I used Saphir Reno Mat. Here’s a couple of shots after taping and stripping one shoe. The difference jumps out at you…..

CE19BA01-A7C4-4884-BAD2-BF48C28E40F7.jpeg
C16EEE50-1273-4C77-A1EA-580821FB4499.jpeg

Then apply a couple coats of dye. I used Fieblings Pro Dye because I had some in the house but honestly, I’ve used a few different ones in the past and not noticed much difference. Here’s a shot with the dye still wet after the second coat……

288D9B4A-761E-4522-9C6F-E7C33C877371.jpeg

I let it dry for a day. The dye stiffens the leather so I typically hit it with a couple heavy coats of VSC and from that point it’s just elbow power as you can never brush too much. Then it’s product of choice. I used a little mink oil and finished them off with some Collonil 1909 and more brushing and wiping. Sounds like a lot more effort than it actually is. The key is patience and again, taping. Especially going black as it is definitely the easiest to work with.

Good luck.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AS Pytchley from Tredders. The Pytchely's patern is amazing. I am usually afraid of wholecut bluchers since they can be too bulky and buying online increases the risk, but in this case AS made them perfect.

I spilled some anti Covid liquid on them and had some unpleasent spots. So I stripped lightly some of the colour with Collonil (similar but milder than Saphir Renomat).

Then I applied some shoe polish very lightly (for this cases I use Kiwi because is highly pigmented) and started to brush and brush. There are some colour vatiations but I can call them patina.

The clue is brushing and brushing and brushing. Let's see how they behave the next days.

IMG_6291.jpg

IMG_6292.jpg

IMG_6296.jpg

IMG_62952.jpg

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AS Pytchley from Tredders. The Pytchely's patern is amazing. I am usually afraid of wholecut bluchers since they can be too bulky and buying online increases the risk, but in this case AS made them perfect.

I spilled some anti Covid liquid on them and had some unpleasent spots. So I stripped lightly some of the colour with Collonil (similar but milder than Saphir Renomat).

Then I applied some shoe polish very lightly (for this cases I use Kiwi because is highly pigmented) and started to brush and brush. There are some colour vatiations but I can call them patina.

The clue is brushing and brushing and brushing. Let's see how they behave the next days.

IMG_6291.jpg

IMG_6292.jpg

IMG_6296.jpg

IMG_62952.jpg
Beautiful shoes, the last picture shows a wonderful color.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Humor me on a silly question but does anyone use old cotton t-shirts for shoe maintenance? Doesn’t feel right taking used undergarments to the goodwill and would rather pitch them if they aren’t good for footwear.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Humor me on a silly question but does anyone use old cotton t-shirts for shoe maintenance? Doesn’t feel right taking used undergarments to the goodwill and would rather pitch them if they aren’t good for footwear.
Yes, I got a draw full of old white undershirts that are now smearred in shoe care products.

Atemporal

Reaction score
Hi,
A simple question. Is it ok to keep brand new shoes without a shoe tree?
My understanding is that most of the benefits of shoe trees happen in the next coming hours/days after using the shoes. Therefore never worn shoes may not need them -also worn shoes that had the shoe trees on few days after last time used.
I prefer to have the shoe trees on even for brand new shoes but I want to know if I am right.
Thanks in advance.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,
A simple question. Is it ok to keep brand new shoes without a shoe tree?
My understanding is that most of the benefits of shoe trees happen in the next coming hours/days after using the shoes. Therefore never worn shoes may not need them -also worn shoes that had the shoe trees on few days after last time used.
I prefer to have the shoe trees on even for brand new shoes but I want to know if I am right.
Thanks in advance.
I always buy a pair of shoe trees with every new pair of shoes or boots, so they have them all the time. On the other hand, a never worn pair may not require them, as I haven't seen any store that keeps their footwear with trees, except bespoke lasted ones.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads