• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vim147

Reaction score
Hello hivemind!

I brought out these boots for the first time since March. They looked absolutely flawless when i put them on and during the whole day. This morning I woke up to find them in this condition.

I thought that I hade removed all the salt and **** from last year when I put them into hibernation but I was clearly wrong. My question to you is

• How do I get rid of the salt completely
• How much damage has this potentially caused my shoes.

Thanks in advance

View attachment 1689565

Water and white vinegar 50/50 mix.
hard rubbing with a cloth.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello hivemind!

I brought out these boots for the first time since March. They looked absolutely flawless when i put them on and during the whole day. This morning I woke up to find them in this condition.

I thought that I hade removed all the salt and **** from last year when I put them into hibernation but I was clearly wrong. My question to you is

• How do I get rid of the salt completely
• How much damage has this potentially caused my shoes.

Thanks in advance

View attachment 1689565

I don't think those are salt stains, I think that's dried and caked wax/polish

ghostmonk

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm in the process of rebuilding my closet and I'm to the point where I'm trying to figure out a good visually appealing way to store my shoes. I've been luck to be able to accumulate ~30 pair of shoes from a lot of the "Big Names" and I want to build a storage solution that does right by them. Right now they're stored on some crummy wire racks I've got angled at 45 degrees. It does the job but isn't very attractive. I've done some searching around but haven't found anything that clicks.

I'm an amateur woodworker and can recreate just about anything (to varying degrees of success). If you've got pictures of shoes well stored I'd love to see them. I could make boxes for them all but that's not really the aesthetic that I'm going for. Ideally some kind of interesting rack but I'm really open to anything. I have a walk-in closet but it's not massive.

Lighting is theoretically possible but difficult due to the difficulty of pulling wires in my house. I spent several hours in my stupidly hot attic to pull wire for my under-shelf lights and I'd be happy to never go up there again.

Frozenhaze

Reaction score
Any advice for taking care of shoes with natural "white" edged soles / storm welts? If one would like to use dark coloured creams and waxes, there's always a change that the natural edge gets ruined. Do you guys protect the edges somehow before applying care products?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any advice for taking care of shoes with natural "white" edged soles / storm welts? If one would like to use dark coloured creams and waxes, there's always a change that the natural edge gets ruined. Do you guys protect the edges somehow before applying care products?

You can wipe away any spot of cream you got on there pretty quick and the natural sole edge (which I assume you mean isn't white, but leather coloured) will not be pigmented.

Cream polish doesn't really stain right off the bat. It takes a bit too sink in.

Frozenhaze

Reaction score
You can wipe away any spot of cream you got on there pretty quick and the natural sole edge (which I assume you mean isn't white, but leather coloured) will not be pigmented.

Cream polish doesn't really stain right off the bat. It takes a bit too sink in.
Sounds reasonable and I assume that brushing after cream / wax polish in its own won't stain the edges either?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds reasonable and I assume that brushing after cream / wax polish in its own won't stain the edges either?

The only time I've gotten the brush to show substantial staining was when I did it over the white on a pair of spectators. That was a ***** to clean.

My suggestion is: Be careful when you brush to avoid the edge getting a ton of the brush there. It isn't that hard if you use a smaller horse hair brush.

And again: be sure to wipe the edge afterwards to avoid the pigment.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm in the process of rebuilding my closet and I'm to the point where I'm trying to figure out a good visually appealing way to store my shoes. I've been luck to be able to accumulate ~30 pair of shoes from a lot of the "Big Names" and I want to build a storage solution that does right by them. Right now they're stored on some crummy wire racks I've got angled at 45 degrees. It does the job but isn't very attractive. I've done some searching around but haven't found anything that clicks.

I'm an amateur woodworker and can recreate just about anything (to varying degrees of success). If you've got pictures of shoes well stored I'd love to see them. I could make boxes for them all but that's not really the aesthetic that I'm going for. Ideally some kind of interesting rack but I'm really open to anything. I have a walk-in closet but it's not massive.

Lighting is theoretically possible but difficult due to the difficulty of pulling wires in my house. I spent several hours in my stupidly hot attic to pull wire for my under-shelf lights and I'd be happy to never go up there again.

I don't have a pretty closet collection for my shoes, but I have basically stacked these ikea shoe racks which are much nicer than the wire mesh ones.

I have the one with the wooden tops.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Hanging rack for the back of the door for sneakers and slip ons.
0B3F5B5C-9371-4987-AB4D-01866A0B3456.jpeg

I had semi-limited space so I built up instead of wide - the right side I opted for shorter bins and keep boots on that side with short jackets and vests over those. On the left side of the closet I have my overcoats so some boots on the floor beneath those but no bins. A few pairs that aren’t worn as often up above in their boxes and bags, pairs that are worn even less often than those are in a separate closet in their boxes and bags. For lighting I opted for battery powered LED lights with a smart switch. Given you’re a wood worker this is one of the better solutions I’ve seen. @j ingevaldsson closet goals.
A95EA1C6-BF65-46C9-997B-28D51F2F50A7.jpeg

ghostmonk

Reaction score
I had semi-limited space so I built up instead of wide - the right side I opted for shorter bins and keep boots on that side with short jackets and vests over those. On the left side of the closet I have my overcoats so some boots on the floor beneath those but no bins. A few pairs that aren’t worn as often up above in their boxes and bags, pairs that are worn even less often than those are in a separate closet in their boxes and bags. For lighting I opted for battery powered LED lights with a smart switch. Given you’re a wood worker this is one of the better solutions I’ve seen. @j ingevaldsson closet goals. View attachment 1690956

Thanks, this is interesting! I'm more inclined to the latter design. I've got space and I'm in a situation where cost or time doesn't really have a huge bearing on my decision. This is a project I'm doing for fun and am in no hurry.

When I was in Barcelona at the Carmina store they had an interesting arrangement:
barcelona 083.png

The picture is crummy but you get the gist. Of all the shoe stores I've been in, this is the only one I have a picture of. Now that I live in a very casual city I can't go to any of the fancy stores I used to frequent to steal ideas. I kind of like the idea of having the shoes isolated to ensure that air can get all around to aid the drying of the soles. I've been thinking about two parallel rods for the heel ridge and toe but packaging it all in a visually pleasing manner hasn't come to me just yet.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, this is interesting! I'm more inclined to the latter design. I've got space and I'm in a situation where cost or time doesn't really have a huge bearing on my decision. This is a project I'm doing for fun and am in no hurry.

When I was in Barcelona at the Carmina store they had an interesting arrangement:
View attachment 1691017
The picture is crummy but you get the gist. Of all the shoe stores I've been in, this is the only one I have a picture of. Now that I live in a very casual city I can't go to any of the fancy stores I used to frequent to steal ideas. I kind of like the idea of having the shoes isolated to ensure that air can get all around to aid the drying of the soles. I've been thinking about two parallel rods for the heel ridge and toe but packaging it all in a visually pleasing manner hasn't come to me just yet.
If space isn’t an issue - This built in set up is the one I’ve got saved for a closet whenever I’ve got the space.
0603BEC8-2D85-4FDA-A2E8-631FB4D898FD.jpeg

ghostmonk

Reaction score
If space isn’t an issue - This built in set up is the one I’ve got saved for a closet whenever I’ve got the space. View attachment 1691019

Yes, that looks very nice. Space is somewhat of an issue but I'm definitely not overly limited. Ultimately I'm looking to get some inspiration and adjust it to make something that works in my closet. I can definitely see some interesting pieces to take from that picture. I wonder if those pulls at the bottom are drawers or if they pull out trays on which those boots sit? Lots of fun things to think about and engineering challenges to address!

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a pair of dainite soled boots quite muddy and caked on the soles. Any suggestions on how to easily clean the dainite of the mud? I don't like walking around with mud caked soles.

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a pair of dainite soled boots quite muddy and caked on the soles. Any suggestions on how to easily clean the dainite of the mud? I don't like walking around with mud caked soles.
Pressure hose, if you don’t have one then the car wash pressurize should do it. Given that these boots aren’t suede or anything. Personally, I’d probably still do it if it were my suede shoes or boots. I spray them with tarrago

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads