• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leather shoes could curl and shrink as the leather dries and contracts, and can even be susceptible to dry rotting. If you want to avoid buying shoe trees, you can stuff them with tissue or newspaper.

I am used to buying shoe trees for each pair of new shoes or boots I get, so all of them have their own. I have read what @dieworkwear posted, but in my own experience with more than 70 pairs, I haven't had any issues with any of them.

Pandaros

Reaction score
I'm going on holiday next week and I'll take my seldom used suede chukkas with me. I'm thinking of using the suede protector I have on them.

I've never really done anything with suede before. I got this tool from the cobbler sometime ago, and he said the metal bristles on the right are for using on suede with a cleaner or protector.

Is that right? I'm afraid they'll take the nap off entirely, and I'd feel more comfortable with the silicone bristles on the left.

Attachments

• 224670378_263071045333544_6460897946177702576_n.jpeg
    224670378_263071045333544_6460897946177702576_n.jpeg
    12.8 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

monkey66

Reaction score
S
I'm going on holiday next week and I'll take my seldom used suede chukkas with me. I'm thinking of using the suede protector I have on them.

I've never really done anything with suede before. I got this tool from the cobbler sometime ago, and he said the metal bristles on the right are for using on suede with a cleaner or protector.

Is that right? I'm afraid they'll take the nap off entirely, and I'd feel more comfortable with the silicone bristles on the left.

Suede is tougher than you might think.

Give them a brushing and then spray them with a high quality product like Saphir.

Shetterd

Reaction score

Don't brush too hard and you'll be fine! As recommended by @monkey66, I'd brush them and spray with protector/Saphir invulner. I love my suede shoes and they are my go to for rainy days.

Last edited:

zurich64

Reaction score
I agree. It's awful. What's worse: they charge the same prices for garbage leather as people don't know it's crap at some of the English shoe companies.

At least Allen Edmonds got rid of their polished cobbler.
There are good-quality bookbinder finish shoes and boots sold by English shoemakers. And quality depends on the leather below the finish. In good quality bookbinder leather, the coat is very thin, and with a solvent-based cream like Saphir renovateur etc, it gets thinner and does not crack.
In rain, these shoes work really well and therefore, are still in use by English shoemakers.

Pandaros

Reaction score
I'm fortunate to both live in a city with some excellent cobblers, and also to have one of those on my local high road. I was just looking through the local's facebook page, and I saw he's re-soling cemented shoes.

I had thought that this wasn't possible, but what he has looks really good. The Gucci example looks like the old soles have been completely taken off. As for the other example, is he sawing off part of the old sole and gluing on a new base to the sole.

165061064_3825761390871251_4170365740051169249_n.jpeg
121600208_3368780803235981_268136860828029410_n.jpeg

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm fortunate to both live in a city with some excellent cobblers, and also to have one of those on my local high road. I was just looking through the local's facebook page, and I saw he's re-soling cemented shoes.

I had thought that this wasn't possible, but what he has looks really good. The Gucci example looks like the old soles have been completely taken off. As for the other example, is he sawing off part of the old sole and gluing on a new base to the sole.

View attachment 1653422 View attachment 1653423

Damn, that opens up a world of possibilities. Those both look great!

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the first time in 5 years I was checking all the shoe care **** I had around the house. Those bottles and tins will outlast me like my shoes. For the next 25 years I will need just 1/4 of all I have. Its crazy so don't do it, please. Take care.

20210909_160154.jpg

Boggis

Reaction score

View attachment 1653422 View attachment 1653423
My guess is he's using a belt sander to remove & flatten the outer layer of the original outsole in order to glue to the new vibram sole on top. Looks good!

Atemporal

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I have just bought my first Saphir Pommadier Cream and I was wondering how much does it last. I mean how many "pairs" -like a metric- approximately I can treat with a 75ml jar.
Thanks.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I have just bought my first Saphir Pommadier Cream and I was wondering how much does it last. I mean how many "pairs" -like a metric- approximately I can treat with a 75ml jar.
Thanks.

If you use it sparingly, I would approximate about 40 uses? I would recommend the pommadier be used sparingly, as that stuff is thick and goopy and will leave a weird residue if you use too much.

I actually prefer the BDC cream as I just don't get as good results from the pommadier as I do with the BDC.

Atemporal

Reaction score
If you use it sparingly, I would approximate about 40 uses? I would recommend the pommadier be used sparingly, as that stuff is thick and goopy and will leave a weird residue if you use too much.

I actually prefer the BDC cream as I just don't get as good results from the pommadier as I do with the BDC.
Thanks @JFWR
I understand it depends on each case but my idea was using it once or twice per month.

Another question comes to mind now. Is Saphir Nappa cream an alternative to Saphir Renovateur for calfskin? Is any of them better for calfskin?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks @JFWR
I understand it depends on each case but my idea was using it once or twice per month.

Another question comes to mind now. Is Saphir Nappa cream an alternative to Saphir Renovateur for calfskin? Is any of them better for calfskin?

No. Nappa is for nappa leather.

Twice a month would mean your one jar should last about a year and a half, two years.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads