• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello gentleman,

I will appreciate your help, yesterday I found a greasy french fry sitting on the vamp of my Cobbler Union beloved Utah Calf chukkas. I notice it 5 minutes after the fry's landing.

I have poured cornstrach for two nights buy the stain remains there. Any recomendation? Should I use a soft solvent like water and alcohol o water and white vinegar? Saddle soap?

Your comments will be highly appreciated.

View attachment 1645775 View attachment 1645776
Ouch!
Sorry about that.

Some tips that can help you to remove that greasy stain:

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ouch!
Sorry about that.

Some tips that can help you to remove that greasy stain:

Gracias Mercurio.

I will try white vinegar + water (50/50) and work it gently with q-tips. I will revert with news.

Best regards

CWV

Reaction score
Hello gentleman,

I will appreciate your help, yesterday I found a greasy french fry sitting on the vamp of my Cobbler Union beloved Utah Calf chukkas. I notice it 5 minutes after the fry's landing.

I have poured cornstrach for two nights buy the stain remains there. Any recomendation? Should I use a soft solvent like water and alcohol o water and white vinegar? Saddle soap?

Your comments will be highly appreciated.

View attachment 1645775 View attachment 1645776

Hola! This should help.
Suerte, con esto y Castillo.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The flying french fry that landed on my chukkas saga arrived to a happy ending.

I spent a night thinking that Cobbler Union Chukkas worn 4 times where lost since cornstarch didn't work for 2 days. But the I decided to develop a plan.

1.- Cornstarch for 2 more days, but the stain did not disappear completely.
2.- With q-tips I made 2 little stains of fat in parts of the shoe that are hidden (the tongue) so I could try options and choose.
3.- I tried to clean one stain with vinegar / water and the other one with alcohol / water (in both cases 50/50) to see what happends.

The where no results so I tried a 3rd way, liquid soap mix with water and voila! It worked.

There is stil an stain but is almost invisible, tomorrow I will aplly some colored cream to even the small blem. I think that 4 days of cornstarch where the clue eventhough the first two days where frustrating.

Here some pics:

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I spent a night thinking that Cobbler Union Chukkas worn 4 times where lost since cornstarch didn't work for 2 days. But the I decided to develop a plan.

2.- With q-tips I made 2 little stains of fat in parts of the shoe that are hidden (the tongue) so I could try options and choose.
3.- I tried to clean one stain with vinegar / water and the other one with alcohol / water (in both cases 50/50) to see what happends.

The where no results so I tried a 3rd way, liquid soap mix with water and voila! It worked.

There is stil an stain but is almost invisible, tomorrow I will aplly some colored cream to even the small blem. I think that 4 days of cornstarch where the clue eventhough the first two days where frustrating.

Here some pics:

View attachment 1647830 View attachment 1647831 View attachment 1647832 View attachment 1647833 View attachment 1647834 View attachment 1647835 View attachment 1647836

Great job. I'm surprised oil can stain leather that much.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great job. I'm surprised oil can stain leather that much.

My guess is that Utah Calf is specially sensible, maybe that's why is so soft. I should have applied some Creme Universelle o Venetian Balm or similar to built a layer to protect the leather before using them.

Or maybe I should stop eating as a troglodyte and avoid flying french fries.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here some pics:

View attachment 1647830 View attachment 1647831 View attachment 1647832 View attachment 1647833 View attachment 1647834 View attachment 1647835 View attachment 1647836
Well done, congratulations!
Those chukka boots deserved the effort.

Saludos y de nuevo, ¡felicitaciones!

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When caring for waxed/roughout suede, the consensus seems to be to apply a bit of dubbin grease if the leather starts to get too dry. Any thoughts on whether Barbour thorn proofing wax would do the trick or should I stick with the Saphir product?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My guess is that Utah Calf is specially sensible, maybe that's why is so soft. I should have applied some Creme Universelle o Venetian Balm or similar to built a layer to protect the leather before using them.

Or maybe I should stop eating as a troglodyte and avoid flying french fries.

I'd imagine you'd need a wax layer to protect it more than just some moisturizer.

Reaction score
For a new pair of shoes and for a recently purchased NOS pair of vintage shoes -

If I'm going to store them in a more or less climate controlled location for, say, six months, would you recommend putting shoe trees in them or leaving them without?

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a new pair of shoes and for a recently purchased NOS pair of vintage shoes -

If I'm going to store them in a more or less climate controlled location for, say, six months, would you recommend putting shoe trees in them or leaving them without?
I would go always with shoe trees, they “belong” to each pair and should accompany them all time except when in your feet for controlled moisture and shape.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Unless they’re lasted trees I see no reason to add them if they’re NOS and you haven’t worn them and they are just going into storage assuming they’re sitting flat. If I recall I think @dieworkwear has posted about some damage to some of his pairs from using non-lasted trees in shoes in long term storage that hadn’t been worn as well.

It’s not like the leather is going to collapse or deform under the pressure of air and gravity or something while they sit in a closet.

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses, styleforum friends.

@Jmr928: It was actually the post from dieworkwear that you referenced is what gave me pause and prompted me to ask this question.

I think I'll go without the shoe trees until I start wearing them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads