• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CWV

Reaction score
I did a similar thing before. Overdid it trying to put on a burnish, and stripped off an area of finish to the bald leather. No amount of Saphir cream or polish restored it, it always looked wrong because the stripped patch absorbed the cream and polish differently. I bought Saphir shoe dye (use the color chart guide to choose the mix for the correct shade required), and did a spot redye blended in followed by re-creaming and re-wax polishing, and now it looks good as new.

Here they are now. I just need to put on a few more layers of polish to get them more even. View attachment 1623035 Can you tell which shoe was the stripped and refinished? ?
What is the last?

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is worth noting the Loake Chester's come in two shades: tan and medium brown.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience of caring for Waxed Kudu leather? In particular, I want to know if it is OK to brush them with a horsehair brush. I am familiar with regular Kudu but waxed Kudu is quite different. I am finding it difficult to find advice on this.

milktoast

Reaction score
Went to a wedding a couple of days ago and had a great time, so much so that some beverages seem to have spilled on my AE Walnut Strands. Suggestions on how I can clean these? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I3767.jpg

calostro5

Reaction score
I find the pommadier too thick and liable to leave streaks or splotches. Black and navy is fine, but I get a weird, mottled look from burgundy and cognac to the point I had to remove the polish afterwards.

I don't get that from Bdc.

I use the mdo cordovan cream, though, with no problem.

Do you use mdo cordovan cream in calfskin?

manasdirge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, during my routine maintenance (wet cloth, brush then buff) I have found some dull spots (not as smooth as rest of the shoe)on these shell cordovan loafers, are they just dry?

Before using any product on them, can anyone chime in and suggest what to do?
IMG_20210625_084603_edit_713868800585863.jpg
IMG_20210625_084505.jpg

Last edited:

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
seems the text was not saved at first post, edited.

Shell gets a bit scratchy on spots where the rolls are sometimes. At that point, it is advisable to rub in some conditioner. It can also come from over waxing those areas and the dry spots is just broken wax that hasn't flaked off.

manasdirge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shell gets a bit scratchy on spots where the rolls are sometimes. At that point, it is advisable to rub in some conditioner. It can also come from over waxing those areas and the dry spots is just broken wax that hasn't flaked off.
Thanks, I haven't used wax on them before, only some saphir cream (which contains some wax I believe) once.

If I go with the conditioner route, what product do you suggest? I have Bick4, Saphir renovateur and Saphir cordovan cream (burgundy) and saphir cream for calf (brown) at hand.

Do I need to clean previous products? have boot black two-face lotion for that purpose if needed.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I haven't used wax on them before, only some saphir cream (which contains some wax I believe) once.

If I go with the conditioner route, what product do you suggest? I have Bick4, Saphir renovateur and Saphir cordovan cream (burgundy) and saphir cream for calf (brown) at hand.

Do I need to clean previous products? have boot black two-face lotion for that purpose if needed.

No need to clean. Bick4 or renovateur will do the job fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads