• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a pair of Alden LWBs in burnished tan that have caked on polish that I wish to remove -

Is Saphir Renomat a good option?

Or is Renomat too aggressive?

Just be a bit careful. The contraction 'Reno' is, confusingly, sometimes used to mean 'Renomat' and sometimes 'Renovateur'. As you will know, they are two different sorts of products. Renomat is pretty aggressive and will remove a lot of polish and colour from your shoes. Renovateur is a mildish cleaner, which is water based and fairly benign. In my experience, the only time to avoid Renovateur is on hand burnished, crust leather. I found it removed a lot of the colour.

It is a personal view but I would generally avoid Renomat, unless you are renovating an old pair of shoes. I would stick with Renovateur.

apd90700

Reaction score
Anyone ever had a drop of water sit on a calf leather shoe for five minutes cause a water stain that required polish to remove? Is that normal?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever had a drop of water sit on a calf leather shoe for five minutes cause a water stain that required polish to remove? Is that normal?

Yes. Especially on leather that's not been polished at all.

CWL317

Reaction score
I have a well worn 10 year old pair of shoes. It’s been factory resoled twice already and apparently they usually will only do it maximum 3 times. Would it be possible to transplant a new insole, welt and outsole from a new pair of the same shoes, to the existing old upper? ie transplant the old leather upper to a new pair?

It’s just that the old upper has a naturally aged patina that would be impossible to recreate artificially, and would take another 10 years with a new replacement pair. it really is true that calf leather shoes get better with age & made to be worn ?

apd90700

Reaction score
I have a well worn 10 year old pair of shoes. It’s been factory resoled twice already and apparently they usually will only do it maximum 3 times. Would it be possible to transplant a new insole, welt and outsole from a new pair of the same shoes, to the existing old upper? ie transplant the old leather upper to a new pair?

It’s just that the old upper has a naturally aged patina that would be impossible to recreate artificially, and would take another 10 years with a new replacement pair. it really is true that calf leather shoes get better with age & made to be worn ?
Yes, Bedo’s Leather Works does this. Check his Youtube channel.

nevaeh

Reaction score

I believe that this is possible. But why do you need install new insoles and welts, though? Are yours worn out? Why not simply have an outside cobbler replace the outsole alone?

If you are in the U.S., I would call and then send some photos to Jim McFarland and get his take (https://mcfarlandsshoerepair.com/ or through https://www.kirbyallison.com/shoe-repair.html). He may be able to replace the outsole with the existing welt and insole. Jim is the best cobbler I know.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would it be possible to transplant a new insole, welt and outsole from a new pair of the same shoes, to the existing old upper? ie transplant the old leather upper to a new pair?
You don’t need the new pair to serve as a donor for the swap. A good cobbler will have those components. If you’ve got a pair that gets regular use and needs to be resoled that often and you really like though is there a reason you haven’t considered getting a topy though?

If you have that much attachment to the shoes I’d think about adding a topy when you do the resole (and swap in new components if they’re needed) - You’d be able to just change that out and the heels instead of needing to do a bunch of resoles which eventually you won’t be able to do anymore.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd recommend sending them to Minas shoe repair in New York. They could definitely assist you, but you would not likely need the donor pair. These parts are readily accessible.

Smooth Operator

Reaction score
How do you look after your shoelaces? I tried waxing the laces to make it look crisp but after couple of wear they starting to look like this. I haven't owned a flat lace before. Is this issue a round lace issue?

20210521_142523.jpg

marlinspike

Reaction score
A good way to crisp them up is to run a lighter over them. Senkels laces also seem to always be crisp, though their flats are just a little too delicate.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you use wax on all of your shoes, or only on the ones where you want to get a mirror shine?

I wax all my shoes, but not every shoe I wax do I mirror shine. Wax protects shoes from scuffs and water. As such, I recommend one or two layers on any shoe before wearing. You build up more layers on the toes and heels for mirror shines.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you use wax on all of your shoes, or only on the ones where you want to get a mirror shine?

Not for Chromexcel, but yes on all of my other shoes. I'm not a mirror shine guy. I generally like a bit of a extra shine on the toes though, just enough to reflect the light a bit. Also a layer of wax on the toes and heels give you some scuff protection that cream won't.

My general routine for a new pair of shoes is one full coat of cream, one full coat of wax and additional coats of wax on the toes until they're where I want them. I don't think either of these pairs would be considered a mirror shine, yet the difference between the caps and the rest of the shoe is still noticeable.

B354qv.md.jpg

KvQ10g.md.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads