• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on using dubbin instead of sole oil for sole care? Of course, sole oil is made for the purpose, but it's so much more expensive. Or some other product recommendation?

If your goal to waterproof your soles, putting dubbin on some well worn soles would probably work just dandy. Just make sure you walk on the street or someone else's carpet, lest you spread animal fat all over your floors.

nevaeh

Reaction score
If your goal to waterproof your soles, putting dubbin on some well worn soles would probably work just dandy. Just make sure you walk on the street or someone else's carpet, lest you spread animal fat all over your floors.

Haha! Grease 'em right before going over to dinner at a rival's home! Thanks, @JFWR.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never tried but the risk is to mellow the sole and make it more prone to abbrasion

That's the general risk with treating the soles at all, but given Saphir markets an oil for it, I assume the waterproofing would be more effectual.

I mean, I haven't put dubbin on my own soles, but it doesn't seem like it'd be problematic inherently.

I've used Saphir's oil and I have never had a problem with excessive abrasion from it.

florent

Reaction score
That's the general risk with treating the soles at all, but given Saphir markets an oil for it, I assume the waterproofing would be more effectual.

I mean, I haven't put dubbin on my own soles, but it doesn't seem like it'd be problematic inherently.

I've used Saphir's oil and I have never had a problem with excessive abrasion from it.
I use Saphir's oil and never had a problem either. Dubbin is a different product that I haven't tried and that, AFAIK, isn't generally used for this purpose so I'm warning about a potential issue.

Betta

Reaction score
Any tips on how to shine/mirror finish toes with medallion, how do you prevent the wax from going in ?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use Saphir's oil and never had a problem either. Dubbin is a different product that I haven't tried and that, AFAIK, isn't generally used for this purpose so I'm warning about a potential issue.

True. I mean, I do know some people who use bear grease all over their boots and swear by it, including on the soles.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had some time to kill. Only got to one pair but after wearing my oxfords sparingly for the last year and not having to do much in the way of maintenance after polishing everything early on during lockdown it was nice to get to a pair tonight.
32002B6A-9BA5-4E4A-A37A-57C3B1615CCC.jpeg
CEF204EC-CF65-4DD1-BBA9-84BEC3D419DE.jpeg
CAB133CF-7467-4823-8CC1-A6C7AFAD746C.jpeg
D9C69324-C408-4189-B77D-CB094DAD11BC.jpeg
EF9F0A1D-DD3B-410C-A782-93CD71E3E3D6.jpeg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had some time to kill. Only got to one pair but after wearing my oxfords sparingly for the last year and not having to do much in the way of maintenance after polishing everything early on during lockdown it was nice to get to a pair tonight.
View attachment 1604852 View attachment 1604853 View attachment 1604854 View attachment 1604855 View attachment 1604856

Nicely done, but such a lovely pair of shoes deserves a bit more shine to really bring out the sparkle.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A nice production piece but please, amateurs watching this, do not take this as a go-ahead to use sandpaper (no matter what the grit) on leather shoes!

You state that the "gauges" (I think you mean gouges) are not that deep. If that is the case then there are a couple of better options. From what I can see in the video, the best and least detrimental course of action would be to use a leather moisturiser, followed by a high pigment cream (which you use), and then apply the wax layers. This will cover and smooth over the rest. There is no need to sand down the leather and the results will be indiscernible.

You state that filling the gouges is an option. I cannot comprehend why you chose to sand the leather down.

I recommend that you press a more concentrated wax, such as Saphir's mirror gloss wax into the gouges. This will allow you to smooth over and provide a consistent finish without thinning the leather or reducing the quality of the leather that is the one of the very reasons we buy such high-end shoes.

Apart from the sanding, all other processes are well executed.

Best of luck in the future.
I Use Sandpaper On Suede, Very Fine Sandpaper! This was A Pretty Good Video!

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on using dubbin instead of sole oil for sole care? Of course, sole oil is made for the purpose, but it's so much more expensive. Or some other product recommendation?

I Use Kwik Condtionor On The Soles, I've Never Replaced A Shoe Sole!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads