• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve scuffed my boot and I’m not sure which saphir cream polish pigment to choose? It’s right at the border of the burnishing....I was thinking mahogany or dark brown

the speck at the middle of the toe is grass, I didn’t notice the speck until now.

The chukka boots are these, https://www.skoaktiebolaget.com/collections/lof-tung/products/lof-tung-cole-mahogany-country-calf

View attachment 1590519 View attachment 1590520

Okay, I have another question regarding my initial inquiry, I really don't care for the burnishing on my chukka boot since I view it as a country-inspired boot, and I don't like to have too many products and for the sake of keeping it simple whenever this would occur again. I'm thinking of going with Saphir's medium brown, can I just use the cream polish to go over the burnishing toe and heel? or do I need to do some extra step to get rid of the burnishing finish?

Of course, I would also apply the cream polish all over the boot and wouldn't mind if it's uneven in color, I like contrast in my leathers....or 'patina'.

Goofy

Reaction score
Okay, I have another question regarding my initial inquiry, I really don't care for the burnishing on my chukka boot since I view it as a country-inspired boot, and I don't like to have too many products and for the sake of keeping it simple whenever this would occur again. I'm thinking of going with Saphir's medium brown, can I just use the cream polish to go over the burnishing toe and heel? or do I need to do some extra step to get rid of the burnishing finish?

Of course, I would also apply the cream polish all over the boot and wouldn't mind if it's uneven in color, I like contrast in my leathers....or 'patina'.
You can use whatever color you want. Lighter colors will lighten the overall appearance whereas darker colors will darken the shoe. However the scuffed area will still show if the polish isn’t sufficiently dark. You may consider applying a darker polish to that area. Stripping the burnish would require you to buy even more products like aceton. The benefit of just using shoe polish is that the burnishing remains preserved underneath the polish. Stripping the polish in future will once again reveal the burnishing underneath. If you‘re looking to permanently recolor the scuffed area consider applying a product like Saphir teinture Française to it and subsequently applying polish.

Last edited:

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can use whatever color you want. Lighter colors will lighten the overall appearance whereas darker colors will darken the shoe. Stripping the burnish would require you to buy even more products like aceton. The benefit of just using shoe polish is that the burnishing remains preserved underneath the polish. Stripping the polish in future will once again reveal the burnishing underneath.
Gotcha. That was my surmise, but I’m not one to quickly act when comes to messing around with my footwear.

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Read my edited post for additional information.
Ahhh good thing you mentioned the significance of the shade, I was beginning to tinker with the other colors. Medium brown should suffice in this case.
I’ll post before and after pics of the horror show :crackup:

Reaction score
mirrorshine-infographic.png

Do you guys agree with this process? Would really appreciate the feedback!

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1593845

Do you guys agree with this process? Would really appreciate the feedback!

I mean, I don't think the first two steps are needed in general.

I'd also say you don't need to add three layers of polish to the whole shoe. That can often lead to too much wax over the whole shoe.

Maintenance shines are different than establishing shines. I'd say this is a good establishing technique, but I'd also say don't bother with the saddle soap unless the shoe is dirty. If you want to remove old polish, an easier way is using neutral as a rubbing agent. It takes polish off super well, including highly pigmented cream polish.

I also say a nylon stocking works better for the final buff.

CWV

Reaction score
I didn’t know about applying wax without a cloth. I’ve never used fingers or brush for wax

gorti5i

Reaction score
Got a pair of loafers from the Allen Edmonds anniversary sale. The toe on the right shoe seems to have some streaking that shows up in certain light. Is this something that can be treated or is it a permanent feature of the leather?
IMG_0651.png

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a pair of loafers from the Allen Edmonds anniversary sale. The toe on the right shoe seems to have some streaking that shows up in certain light. Is this something that can be treated or is it a permanent feature of the leather? View attachment 1593985

Brush it then cream polish it. See if it still comes up streaky. If it is, then it is probably just the grain of the leather. Doesn't look bad at all.

GasparddeColigny

Reaction score
Besides my full blown restorations I also do Quick Fix videos. These are touch ups on shoes that are still in decent condition but definately can do with some care and attention. This time it's a pair of penny loafers by Crockett & Jones.

Attachments

• Crockett-thumb.jpg
    Crockett-thumb.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 59

CWL317

Reaction score
I’m sure this has been asked before, but... what’s the recommended method of cleaning leather soles after a day’s wear on the streets? I’m thinking brush & plain damp cloth, or is it bad for the leather to get it wet?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m sure this has been asked before, but... what’s the recommended method of cleaning leather soles after a day’s wear on the streets? I’m thinking brush & plain damp cloth, or is it bad for the leather to get it wet?

You shouldn't clean your soles unless they get muddy. The sole is meant to be dirty. If it's muddy, let Dry and then brush off to remove the dried dirt.

CWL317

Reaction score
You shouldn't clean your soles unless they get muddy. The sole is meant to be dirty. If it's muddy, let Dry and then brush off to remove the dried dirt.
Ah I see... Thanks JFWR. I finally wore my EG outside for the first time after 4 months, on paved roads, now winter is past. The soles are nice and scuffed and dusty now.

well, I realized that although the shoes look nice in factory condition, I could never bond with them, and nor would they patina, unless I wear them without a care... but still take care of them ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads