• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CXL_grain_break.jpg

veck1.jpeg

Some reading:
Thank you very much for those references, Mercurio, they are very useful and probably all shoe wearers should read them!

Lobster

Reaction score
Hey, I purchased pair of nice old shoes and they got some small dark spots on all over them (picture below). I was wondering can anyone identify what those spots are? I’m a bit worried could they be mold because spots are black/really dark brown and the shoes smell a bit funky.

I washed them with saddle soap and after that wiped them with white vinegar + water mixture but spots are still there. Any idea what to do with the shoes?

Last edited:

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, I purchased pair of nice old shoes and they got some small dark spots on all over them (picture below). I was wondering can anyone identify what those spots are? I’m a bit worried could they be mold because spots are black/really dark brown and the shoes smell a bit funky.

I washed them with saddle soap and after that wiped them with white vinegar + water mixture but spots are still there. Any idea what to do with the shoes?
View attachment 1578255

I have a feeling it is mould unfortunately. Lovely shoes by the way.

Not sure what the remedy would be, I have a feeling they might need to be stripped and re dyed probably a darker shade to hide those.

I hope there’s a simpler solution.

Lobster

Reaction score
I have a feeling it is mould unfortunately. Lovely shoes by the way.

Not sure what the remedy would be, I have a feeling they might need to be stripped and re dyed probably a darker shade to hide those.

I hope there’s a simpler solution.
Ah that is really unfortunate. Thank you for your help! I have to figure out what to do, throwing them to trash would be really sad.

florent

Reaction score
I think mould too but it doesn't mean it's still "alive" and problematic by itself. I would stripe the inside and outside with bleach just to be sure, wear them as is and inspect regularly for mould growth. If you want to get rid of the spots you would need to redye in a much darker color as said by @Reiver

Lobster

Reaction score
I think mould too but it doesn't mean it's still "alive" and problematic by itself. I would stripe the inside and outside with bleach just to be sure, wear them as is and inspect regularly for mould growth. If you want to get rid of the spots you would need to redye in a much darker color as said by @Reiver
Thank you for the tips! Quick visit to google did not make me much wiser about using bleach on shoes. I assume I just have to wipe them with it and it doesen’t harm the shoes other way than strips the colour off?

florent

Reaction score
Thank you for the tips! Quick visit to google did not make me much wiser about using bleach on shoes. I assume I just have to wipe them with it and it doesen’t harm the shoes other way than strips the colour off?
Yes just a light wipe to kill potential mold remnants, then a conditioning.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ll do that, thank you! Have to find leather dye next.
Just a thought...If you are nervous about dyeing your shoes, once you have stripped them off, you might find an experienced cobbler who would do a really professional job on them. I did that recently and had The Shoe Healer, here in the UK, change the colour of one of my pairs of Tricker's. They did an incredible job, charged £50 and I got back pretty much a new pair of shoes. I know that I could never have done what they did.

You have a really good pair of shoes there!

marlinspike

Reaction score
Colourlock and Leather Doctor both make products for moldy car seats. Probably works on shoes too?

marlinspike

Reaction score
Neutral polish can really lift off a lot of polish. I tend to suggest not using it on using cream polish as a patina for this reason.

However, if you -really- let it dry, and do not rub it in as a rubbing agent - as neutral wax is a great way of getting RID of cream polish - then it should be okay.

I think you might have let it stay too wet or rubbed it too hard.

How long did you wait?

If possible, I suggest not using neutral over patina with cream polish, as you are better off using the same colour wax on the patina.

So I tried waiting a long time, but it still takes up a lot of color. It seems to be more in the application phase than in the buffing phase that it strips off all the cream polish. Is the neutral mirror gloss just not very useful? I use an old dress shirt and light pressure. Should I just use bare fingers or something?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I tried waiting a long time, but it still takes up a lot of color. It seems to be more in the application phase than in the buffing phase that it strips off all the cream polish. Is the neutral mirror gloss just not very useful? I use an old dress shirt and light pressure. Should I just use bare fingers or something?

Neutral mirror gloss shouldn't take much off because it's so dry. I use neutral mirror gloss all the time on my shoes I use pate de luxe on first.

I have never had a problem with the neutral mirror gloss to that level.

Or are you talking about the regular wax polish?

marlinspike

Reaction score
Neutral mirror gloss shouldn't take much off because it's so dry. I use neutral mirror gloss all the time on my shoes I use pate de luxe on first.

I have never had a problem with the neutral mirror gloss to that level.

Or are you talking about the regular wax polish?

No I'm using neutral saphir mirror gloss over Medaille D'Or cream. ********** side of things, I see almost all the color of the cream come off the shoe, and on the shoe side of things its like the cream gets mixed into the mirror gloss so it won't shine properly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads