• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

marlinspike

Reaction score
I wouldn't overthink it. My dad had a pair of Bally loafers he bought in the 70s before he was married and put away in his closet in the 80s. I wore them when they fit me.

Ziqianzhu

Reaction score
I wouldn't overthink it. My dad had a pair of Bally loafers he bought in the 70s before he was married and put away in his closet in the 80s. I wore them when they fit me.
Wow, I guess I would be fine as long as my taste does not change!

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, I guess I would be fine as long as my taste does not change!

Shoes are pretty resistant if you take decent care of them and just keep them from being exposed to the elements.

Leather is sturdy and tough.

Also: You never wear nice shoes ever when you aren't working? 'cause I wear dress shoes to the grocery store myself.

Black Bear

Reaction score
The need for ore can nditiobibg is devateable. SheSnob just made an article against it. Others say is good because you never know how long it has been siting

Thanks, I'll check out the Shoe Snob article.

Ziqianzhu

Reaction score
Shoes are pretty resistant if you take decent care of them and just keep them from being exposed to the elements.

Leather is sturdy and tough.

Also: You never wear nice shoes ever when you aren't working? 'cause I wear dress shoes to the grocery store myself.
I live at Vancouver. People tend to dress very casual here. I feel a little aloof if I wear suit or sport jacket with dress shoes after work.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live at Vancouver. People tend to dress very casual here. I feel a little aloof if I wear suit or sport jacket with dress shoes after work.

Really? Damn. Strange how casual BC is.

marlinspike

Reaction score

Don't let other people hold you down. If you don't want to ,that's up to you, but literal hobos used to wear a jacket and a collared shirt, so these people are worse than hobos.

Ziqianzhu

Reaction score
Really? Damn. Strange how casual BC is.
Take a look at the threads on styleforum related Toronto and Vancouver and you can see the gap. (May not a good comparison as both cities are unique)

Last edited:

Ziqianzhu

Reaction score
Don't let other people hold you down. If you don't want to ,that's up to you, but literal hobos used to wear a jacket and a collared shirt, so these people are worse than hobos.
I hope I can be one not held by others someday. But I still have a ways to go.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take a look at the threads on styleforum related Toronto and Vancouver and you can see the gap. (May not a good comparison as both cities are unique)

I mean, lots of places I go to aren't that formal, but I still rock dress shoes and a jacket regularly as it is my style, and people respond well to it.

marlinspike

Reaction score
Hoe do you check and take care of sock linnet?

Just feel them to see if they are dry. Basically the only thing that can damage leather in storage is drying out, because it shrinks it. I wouldn't think it's as much a problem with shoes, since it's all leather and will all shrink together, but for instance if you ever see a leather dashboard that is all split up, that's because the leather shrank from drying out, but the dashboard underneath did not.

CWV

Reaction score
Just feel them to see if they are dry. Basically the only thing that can damage leather in storage is drying out, because it shrinks it. I wouldn't think it's as much a problem with shoes, since it's all leather and will all shrink together, but for instance if you ever see a leather dashboard that is all split up, that's because the leather shrank from drying out, but the dashboard underneath did not.
Si one should condition the lining too?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads