• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What cream or other product do people use on oiled leather shoes?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Fiebing's edge dressing can be used on dainite so they don't have such a rubbery appearance?

You have to get the fieblings edge polish that works on rubber. It won't get quite as nice as leather, but very close. I use it on all my vibram, dainite, etc soles. Even on crappier stuff it works wonders. Also works on leather and rolls on like lip balm.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After reading about different shoe brands on this forum, I decided to spend up to €400 for my next pair instead of up to €300. I'm looking at Carlos Santos, TLB Mallorca and Carmina. But what I've noticed is that with the higher price of these brands, the prices of their shoe trees are also higher. Should I always buy shoe trees from the same brand as they shoes? Or could I just buy cheaper, generic cedarwood shoe trees?

I use hounds bay cedar shoe trees. They have a nice wide heel, plant cedars, and as an American I like that theyre miusa. As you're European, any good cedar brand works fine. The difference in cedar trees is marginal. Look for nice bulk deals.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What cream or other product do people use on oiled leather shoes?

I heard some people use cordovan cream on oiled leather for an amazing quick shine, but I've never used this technique.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, i just do shoecare for 3 weeks so work with aceton is a bit too much and risky for me at this level. I'll buy renomat and try it with it. Wish me look because I totally love the other shoe and would like to make them both walkable:)

Good idea. It sucks, but you're basically going to have to start from scratch on that shoe. :/

Fill1998

Reaction score
Good idea. It sucks, but you're basically going to have to start from scratch on that shoe. :/
I know... But as it's not permanent, I don't mind. However to be honest, I felt really upset when i was working on that shoe for a hour. Do you think it's smart to apply Renomat only in certain parts i want to restore - which is front of shoe or should I use if in all parts of shoe, like heel back part, sides as well?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know... But as it's not permanent, I don't mind. However to be honest, I felt really upset when i was working on that shoe for a hour. Do you think it's smart to apply Renomat only in certain parts i want to restore - which is front of shoe or should I use if in all parts of shoe, like heel back part, sides as well?

Just the toe area. I'd recommend the entire toe. Don't keep the nice spot as it would be hard to match right.

Black Bear

Reaction score
Cheap cederwood shoe trees will do just fine. Just make sure you get the right size. Some shoe trees have screws with which their width can de adjusted as well.
It is nice to have a lasted shoe tree, but the reality of it is yeah any cedar shoe tree that is sized to put light tension lengthwise does the job.
I use hounds bay cedar shoe trees. They have a nice wide heel, plant cedars, and as an American I like that theyre miusa. As you're European, any good cedar brand works fine. The difference in cedar trees is marginal. Look for nice bulk deals.

Thank you for your replies!

ZePrez

Reaction score
Hi

it could be that the acetone I’ve tried are weak. In my experience Saphir Renomat is more potent than acetone. Caveat emptor.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a few weeks ago a pair of Cheaney's Jarrow Tundra Waxy Suede boots, that in their product images have a very nice tanned color, but the real ones that I received are somehow lighter in color, something like a "coffee milkshake", with a lot of milk on it and I would love them "with some more coffee", as a way of expressing what I would like.

I wonder if there is a way of getting the "tanned look" without spoiling my boots: I have done different experiments with leather shoes applying creams or waxes, but I don't feel that's the way of subtly darkening the Cheaney's waxed suede, that is quite different to the one of other brands.

This is one of the product images of my boots: I love that color, it was a reason for buying them:

cheaney-jarrow-r-derby-boot-in-tundra-waxy-suede-p1030-7103_image.jpg

This is the real color that I received, a quite different tone, that changes with the lighting.

9f337f57b4f4383bb8e1a5260e58b29a.jpg

50572022494144142cd234deb6eea6c7.jpg

Last edited:

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, against the advice of counsel, I tried normal brown Fiebing's edge dressing on my 4-year-old Meermin suede chukkas and I think it looks pretty good? They don't look like leather or anything but definitely better than the dull gray they used to be.
20210124_145309.jpg

ZePrez

Reaction score
So, against the advice of counsel, I tried normal brown Fiebing's edge dressing on my 4-year-old Meermin suede chukkas and I think it looks pretty good? They don't look like leather or anything but definitely better than the dull gray they used to be.
View attachment 1542383
Did the same on an old suede pair and it worked wonderfully too.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a pair of Allen Edmonds Kenilworth PTB in vegano brown. Is there anything I should keep in mind when polishing vegano? From what I understand, it's a crust leather, and therefore I should avoid renovateur. Any other suggestions, e.g. sticking to neutral creams and waxes?

Any insights on this?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads