• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goofy

Reaction score
View attachment 1541345
Gentlemen, I am totally clueless, uspet and don't know what to do at this point. I tried my first ever patina and while left shoe (on pic right) turned out great, the other one just can't soak the pigment. I only used two products - Saphir Renovateur and Saphir Pommadieur (dark brown plus mahagony). Somehow on right shoe, the tip didn't get that datk brown soaked even after like 12 coats/layers, while left shoe did. Meanwhile area behind that tip of right shoe somehow got darker than left shoe. Other than that, heel, sides and top is good on my eyes. Question is, what should I do at this point? I would like to somehow fix the right shoe, so tip would get dark brown as left shoe and area behind that would be lighter just like on left shoe. I just spent hour and half on that right and I am really upset. Thanks for valuable tips.
Try stripping some of the pigment on the darker shoe with a product like Saphir renomat.

Johnniegold

Reaction score
Try stripping some of the pigment on the darker shoe with a product like Saphir renomat.

+1 on the Renomat.

BEFORE:

6692EBA7-1656-4017-B4B1-685F26B79032.jpeg

DURING:
7A924AC9-8E5B-48B5-8816-DCDC4ECB833F.jpeg

AFTER:
D60EAD10-72A6-43EA-84D8-8295A0DE6287.jpeg

FINISHED.

237F5458-F597-446C-83AB-2D9D7F14D276.jpeg

Fill1998

Reaction score
I'll buy that Renomat and try next week. However I am dealing with problem on that toe cap (tip). I just tried another renovateur plus 5 layers of saphir pommadieur dark brown just for that tip of shoe and colour didn't change. Should i switch for lets say pate de luxe dark brown?

CWV

Reaction score
I'll buy that Renomat and try next week. However I am dealing with problem on that toe cap (tip). I just tried another renovateur plus 5 layers of saphir pommadieur dark brown just for that tip of shoe and colour didn't change. Should i switch for lets say pate de luxe dark brown?
I’d hypotetizide that the captoe has some kind of correcting coating. I’d try to strip it with renovar and try again.

Fill1998

Reaction score
I’d hypotetizide that the captoe has some kind of correcting coating. I’d try to strip it with renovar and try again.

You mean that I will use Renomat on toe cap and darker area behind it first, then wait lets say 15 mins (zero brushing) and then apply renovateur on whole area followed by brushing and adding polish pommadieur? Is it good strategy?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You mean that I will use Renomat on toe cap and darker area behind it first, then wait lets say 15 mins (zero brushing) and then apply renovateur on whole area followed by brushing and adding polish pommadieur? Is it good strategy?

No.

Use renomat to strip the shoe down to the leather and start again.

That'll take some serious elbow grease and use of a cloth.

Sorry dude, something is really screwy with that toe cap.

Be sure to put on moisturizer, too, after the Reno.

Johnniegold

Reaction score
No.

Do you think he should use acetone?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you think he should use acetone?

Either/or. Acetone is generally more destructive.

I agree with the assessment something must be wrong with the leather to have a complete non acceptance of the coloured pigment like that.

CWV

Reaction score
No.

This.
I meant you should strip the leather bare and then try again. It will take some effort. Maybe acetone. I’ve never use it though so I’m cautious about it.
there must be somekind of coating that prevents the pigment from being absorbed. You must take it off first.

Fill1998

Reaction score
Thanks guys, i just do shoecare for 3 weeks so work with aceton is a bit too much and risky for me at this level. I'll buy renomat and try it with it. Wish me look because I totally love the other shoe and would like to make them both walkable:)

nevaeh

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Fiebing's edge dressing can be used on dainite so they don't have such a rubbery appearance?

No. I've tried it on several types of rubber soles like Dainite and Wensum, and the rubber always looks rubbery--and there is always a fairly apparent distinction between the leather welt and the rubber sole.

Black Bear

Reaction score
After reading about different shoe brands on this forum, I decided to spend up to €400 for my next pair instead of up to €300. I'm looking at Carlos Santos, TLB Mallorca and Carmina. But what I've noticed is that with the higher price of these brands, the prices of their shoe trees are also higher. Should I always buy shoe trees from the same brand as they shoes? Or could I just buy cheaper, generic cedarwood shoe trees?

Goofy

Reaction score
After reading about different shoe brands on this forum, I decided to spend up to €400 for my next pair instead of up to €300. I'm looking at Carlos Santos, TLB Mallorca and Carmina. But what I've noticed is that with the higher price of these brands, the prices of their shoe trees are also higher. Should I always buy shoe trees from the same brand as they shoes? Or could I just buy cheaper, generic cedarwood shoe trees?
Cheap cederwood shoe trees will do just fine. Just make sure you get the right size. Some shoe trees have screws with which their width can de adjusted as well.

marlinspike

Reaction score
It is nice to have a lasted shoe tree, but the reality of it is yeah any cedar shoe tree that is sized to put light tension lengthwise does the job.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads