• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I brush a creased area (as usually is the vamp) I put my hand inside the shoes and with my knuckles I try and distend the leather from inside.
I would not try much different stuff on my shoes; 99% of the cases they just need brush, brush and, in doubt, brush more.
The copyright of his smart advice is not mine anyway. There's a member, whose name I'll not mention, who has been repeating that for years - unheard. His avatar is S. Freud ...
I can't think who that is, Luigi. :cool2:

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No one does, Munky!
He suddenly appears, recommends just brushing and then vanishes again!
Shoe care factories fear him, more than the Sheriff of Nottingham feared Robin Hood.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No one does, Munky!
Shoe care factories fear him, more than the Sheriff of Nottingham feared Robin Hood.

I mean, really in this case it isn't even just a matter of brushing and buffing. It's a matter of there being no visible problem. Creasing is always slightly present and lighter.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No one does, Munky!
It is time he was booted out.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@JFWR Agree. My observation was more general, as often guys tend to pour products on their shoes without need and in an apparent hope for a miracle.
Actually brushing is what's just enough in 99,99% of the cases.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve redyed several pairs of shoes in the past.
Now I’d like to redye a pair of pebble grain Allen Edmonds MacNeils.
C15333A9-E117-45BD-A275-CDC389417653.jpeg

I got the acetone out to try to prep these. It doesn’t seem to do much. I suspect that the pebbled-grain leather has a tough (acrylic?) finish.

Any idea? How can I strip these to prepare them for dyeing?

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got the acetone out to try to prep these. It doesn’t seem to do much.
I never dyed a whole shoe, but smoothed, dyed and shined heels and sole edges. Usually acetone gets easily rid even of the 'resinous' paint on heels.
Can you please explain what's happening or not happening - maybe post a pic? (Nice shoes btw)

ky16

Reaction score
Hi Folks. Was trying to get rid of a mark on the side of these EGs and ended up ?burnishing it with renovatuer. I think I rubbed too hard when the Reno was still wet. Dark mark seems stubborn enough to get rid of. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
C2CFA08C-FA1B-4135-8188-ECC106137314.jpeg

GasparddeColigny

Reaction score
I’ve redyed several pairs of shoes in the past.
Now I’d like to redye a pair of pebble grain Allen Edmonds MacNeils.
View attachment 1511027
I got the acetone out to try to prep these. It doesn’t seem to do much. I suspect that the pebbled-grain leather has a tough (acrylic?) finish.

Any idea? How can I strip these to prepare them for dyeing?

What colour are you going to dye these? I usually avoid acetone as much as possible, it's nasty stuff. I generally have good experiences with prepping with a good cleaning and rubbing alcohol. Often there's no need to really strip the old dy, especially when going darker. You can test on the tongue what the dye does.

GasparddeColigny

Reaction score
Hi Folks. Was trying to get rid of a mark on the side of these EGs and ended up ?burnishing it with renovatuer. I think I rubbed too hard when the Reno was still wet. Dark mark seems stubborn enough to get rid of. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. View attachment 1511303
Yeah, it looks like you've burnished that spot. Did you use reno on the whole shoe? Try that and the rest will probably darken a bit as well, reducing the contrast at least. Any idea what caused the mark in the first place?

ky16

Reaction score
Yeah, it looks like you've burnished that spot. Did you use reno on the whole shoe? Try that and the rest will probably darken a bit as well, reducing the contrast at least. Any idea what caused the mark in the first place?
Thanks ! I’ve tried reno on the whole shoe but doesn’t seem to take as well as that spot. I’m going to say it was a blood stain at work but I can’t be too sure either. Thanks though

marlinspike

Reaction score
Thanks ! I’ve tried reno on the whole shoe but doesn’t seem to take as well as that spot. I’m going to say it was a blood stain at work but I can’t be too sure either. Thanks though

FYI, the way you get blood out of things is cold water.
You might be able to get it out with reno'mat or the oil stain remover. I think you will find by the time you get the oil sucked out of there that area is now prone to absorbing water. What has worked for me is to then apply recolorant and it behaves normally from then on.

vim147

Reaction score
Is anyone able to tell me the cost of soles in UK. Not fitting but just to supply. I've tried Amazon, eBay and googling but just cant find a supplier with prices.

Has to be full sole/heel for regular leather, JR's and Dainite.

Just want to know how much these cost out of curiosity.

Last edited:

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What colour are you going to dye these? I usually avoid acetone as much as possible, it's nasty stuff. I generally have good experiences with prepping with a good cleaning and rubbing alcohol. Often there's no need to really strip the old dy, especially when going darker. You can test on the tongue what the dye does.
I tried both alcohol and acetone. Neither appeared to make much difference. The shoe is now just slightly less shiny than before.
These shoes are to similar in color to another pair of shoes, so I thought I’d change them up. I considered dark brown, but I already have a pair of brown wingtips (smooth leather).

I also considered green. I’ve got a pair of boots that I dyed green and they look great.

Then I saw some of the Christmas-themed shoes that combine red and green as a spectator design. I feel like these have a lot of red tones already, and I could easily dye them red even if they aren’t completely stripped. I suspect that the green would be a bigger problem though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads