• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone use saphir neutral polish ?
Ive ordered it to bump up an order to get free delivery but i dont know what id use it on.

It's good on anything you'd want to polish.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use it on the sole edges of some shoes and the soles. For some reason it gives the best shine out of my shoe creams.

Neutral seems to have a bit more pop in the polish than pigmented does.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone use saphir neutral polish ?
Ive ordered it to bump up an order to get free delivery but i dont know what id use it on.
Saphir Neutral polish is probably the best and most versatile cream out there. You can use it on almost all leathers, excluding - of course - things like suede.

nzahir

Reaction score
I wrote a bit about this a couple weeks back, but wanted a bit more clarity

Can the Saphir Beaute De Cuir Cream cause some of that white line cracking if applied on flexible areas because of the beeswax?

I applied some Reno on an area and some BDC cream and there was some cracking. I assume it was the BDC cream but Reno has a little wax as well

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wrote a bit about this a couple weeks back, but wanted a bit more clarity

Can the Saphir Beaute De Cuir Cream cause some of that white line cracking if applied on flexible areas because of the beeswax?

I applied some Reno on an area and some BDC cream and there was some cracking. I assume it was the BDC cream but Reno has a little wax as well

Shoe cream should not cause visible cracking as it is not hard wax. If you get it, just buff it off.

nzahir

Reaction score
Shoe cream should not cause visible cracking as it is not hard wax. If you get it, just buff it off.
It is like a white line crease though that stays and the crease becomes white.

I may just blow dry it and use some bick4

May just get rid of the BDC and use MDO only if I need a pigment (assuming it doesn't have any cracking issues since no beeswax)

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is like a white line crease though that stays and the crease becomes white.

I may just blow dry it and use some bick4

May just get rid of the BDC and use MDO only if I need a pigment (assuming it doesn't have any cracking issues since no beeswax)

I've never once had any problem with cracking using Bdc. Are you using a lot of this? Or not buffing it off? That's the only reason I could think this would be causing it.

There's no need to blow dry anything. Just buff it away. Add a tiny bit of spit or water if need be.

Also, the mdo pommadier polish also has beeswax in it. The main difference is almond oil v. Shea butter.

florent

Reaction score
I have one pair that does something like that (maybe the cream doesn't penetrate too well in that particular leather?). I just rub off the residue with my finger after walking a bit.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one pair that does something like that (maybe the cream doesn't penetrate too well in that particular leather?). I just rub off the residue with my finger after walking a bit.

If the cream doesn't penetrate that well, you're right that is a sign of a suspect leather. That being said, I find pommadier liable to be too greasy on even full grain calf sometimes, so I usually stick to Bdc as its so much easier to buff off and still nourish and pigment the leather

nzahir

Reaction score
If the cream doesn't penetrate that well, you're right that is a sign of a suspect leather. That being said, I find pommadier liable to be too greasy on even full grain calf sometimes, so I usually stick to Bdc as its so much easier to buff off and still nourish and pigment the leather
One pair may be suspect leather
One pair is a new AE 5th ave, so I wouldn't expect that to happen on those

I just remembered I may have used actual neutral polish and not reno on the AE's though.

Could it be neutral colors that do this? Would be weird if so

I am not using too much honestly, less than what I see in videos and I am buffing with a horsehair brush

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One pair may be suspect leather
One pair is a new AE 5th ave, so I wouldn't expect that to happen on those

I just remembered I may have used actual neutral polish and not reno on the AE's though.

Could it be neutral colors that do this? Would be weird if so

I am not using too much honestly, less than what I see in videos and I am buffing with a horsehair brush

Take a pic of the shoes if you would? Allen Edmonds makes good quality shoes, so the leather should be fine.

nzahir

Reaction score
Take a pic of the shoes if you would? Allen Edmonds makes good quality shoes, so the leather should be fine.

The AE pair wasn't a factory 2nd either, but leather looked a bit dry, so I put on some neutral Saphir Shoe Cream and there are some whiteish lines in the crease

I dampened a bit with a lightly wet rag last time so not as bad as it was before, but any fixes or has this happened to others?

I may just blow dry it and add some bick4 conditioner.

Saphir Customer Support said Neutral creams have caused this problem before when I emailed them

I even have the AE dark chili polish, a bit worried to use it on the vamp

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The AE pair wasn't a factory 2nd either, but leather looked a bit dry, so I put on some neutral Saphir Shoe Cream and there are some whiteish lines in the crease

I dampened a bit with a lightly wet rag last time so not as bad as it was before, but any fixes or has this happened to others?

I may just blow dry it and add some bick4 conditioner.

Saphir Customer Support said Neutral creams have caused this problem before when I emailed them

I even have the AE dark chili polish, a bit worried to use it on the vamp

Maybe it's the picture, maybe it's my eyes, but I see absolutely no problem here.

Also, the vamp can be lightly waxed with no negative effect.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I brush a creased area (as usually is the vamp) I put my hand inside the shoes and with my knuckles I try and distend the leather from inside.
I would not try much different stuff on my shoes; 99% of the cases they just need brush, brush and, in doubt, brush more.
The copyright of his smart advice is not mine anyway. There's a member, whose name I'll not mention, who has been repeating that for years - unheard. His avatar is S. Freud ...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads