• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AdamBara

Reaction score
I have some black spots on my shoes. After rain I cleaned them with vinegar and water. Didnt remove the stains, then after a time I used renomat but im afraid its now permanent since it still hasnt left the shoes.. Does someone have a trick im missing?

c0d07c61-7aac-4d7c-8337-d538d9dc34dc.jpg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I'd worry about the purple you mention, though. If I wanted purple I'd buy burgundy not oxblood. I use Hermes Red on oxblood specifically to maintain the more red color of oxblood and not purple.

I do have to say that your after pictures look really good.

I thought it fitting to wear Jefferson 2.0's to vote for the president today: an American made shoe for an American presidential election.

IMG_20201103_0634382.jpg IMG_20201103_0610280.jpg IMG_20201103_0610312.jpg

Seeing them in morning light, the blue polish has darkened their colour substantially to the blue spectrum, making these more purple than before.

Contrast with beforehand:

IMG_20200625_1326177.jpg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some black spots on my shoes. After rain I cleaned them with vinegar and water. Didnt remove the stains, then after a time I used renomat but im afraid its now permanent since it still hasnt left the shoes.. Does someone have a trick im missing?

View attachment 1489688

Try some pigmented cream polish. I'd moisturize first because renomat strips so much.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes I used cream polish and it's a little bit less but still there,

Water itself shouldn't leave lasting stains like this...leather is not usually discolored by simple water. Did you drop hand sanitizer on it?

AdamBara

Reaction score
Water itself shouldn't leave lasting stains like this...leather is not usually discolored by simple water. Did you drop hand sanitizer on it?

No nothing of such things. I remember just rain on my way home. Maybe some salt on the road mixed with water...

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No nothing of such things. I remember just rain on my way home. Maybe some salt on the road mixed with water...

If you suspect a salt stain, you can try a salt stain treatment. But it doesn't look much like one to me. Usually salt stains have some white on them.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I bought a pair of Hanover LB Sheppherd long-wing brogues vintage about 6 months ago. They're shell cordovan. They didn't look quite so bad in the pictures, but I've noticed some worrying spots, such as one part that shows some cracking, as if the pressure of the toe had cracked the cordovan leather. Is it safe to use Saphir renovatrice to fill in the crack? It is relatively superficial, but it is definitely not just a scratch.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A picture concerning the above cracking in the cordovan:

IMG_20201105_2246125.jpg

Goofy

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I bought a pair of Hanover LB Sheppherd long-wing brogues vintage about 6 months ago. They're shell cordovan. They didn't look quite so bad in the pictures, but I've noticed some worrying spots, such as one part that shows some cracking, as if the pressure of the toe had cracked the cordovan leather. Is it safe to use Saphir renovatrice to fill in the crack? It is relatively superficial, but it is definitely not just a scratch.
Proper Cordovan care requires a lot of brushing, which will inevitably remove the renovatrice cream. Also cordovan is a membrane. It doesn’t have the structure of regular leather. The cream may not adhere to it. I don’t believe the cream will damage to the leather. So you may as well try it out.

In all honesty it looks irreparably damaged. Those cracks seriously run the risk of becoming tears over time.

Good luck. I hope it works out.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Proper Cordovan care requires a lot of brushing, which will inevitably remove the renovatrice cream. Also cordovan is a membrane. It doesn’t have the structure of regular leather. The cream may not adhere to it. I don’t believe the cream will damage to the leather. So you may as well try it out.

In all honesty it looks irreparably damaged. Those cracks seriously run the risk of becoming tears over time.

Good luck. I hope it works out.

Thank you Goofy.

I just applied three coats of renovatrice after moisturizing the shoes thoroughly. I am hoping that the resin has completely filled in the crack.

My goal is to see if I can wear them down the street and the cracks reappear or not. If they don't reappear, it seems like I've made a seal that has adhered to the cordovan well enough: if they do, then well, I can at least wear these without worrying too much about them. They have years of wear left in them, and aesthetically the cracking can be covered up rather easily.

cristianivc

Reaction score
Hi everybody !
I just got a baby lotion stain on my Suede RM Williams Boots.
I did put baking soda for 2 hours but didn’t make a big improvement ?. Should I try again for a longer period?

I did also try a Jason markk shampoo that I had on hand and it improved a bit, but the stain still there.
C65AD73D-3018-4722-89FA-B678BB0B8C8D.jpeg
should I give it another clean with the Jason markk or should I get a better cleanser???

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody !
I just got a baby lotion stain on my Suede RM Williams Boots.
I did put baking soda for 2 hours but didn’t make a big improvement ?. Should I try again for a longer period?
I did also try a Jason markk shampoo that I had on hand and it improved a bit, but the stain still there.
should I give it another clean with the Jason markk or should I get a better cleanser???
It happened once to me and I managed to get it out by brushing it away with a brass bristle suede brush. If it doesn't work, I'd say try using the Saphir Gommadin and/or the Omni-Nettoyant.

ZePrez

Reaction score
Hi

I bought recently a pair of Florsheim 93602. Shoes are wonderful. I love the construction, 5-nail, V-Cleat with perhaps the 90 or so nails in the heel. Extremely comfortable too. Sole is in great condition. Upper with minimal creases. Someone at Florsheim should find a way to revive those lines of shoes that were marvel of shoemaking. There is a market IMO.
But these 93602 shoe curl up, .. Aladdin fashion :p. I use shoe trees. None of my shoes aside from this one does that.
What are the best methods, procedures to flatten it and keep it that way?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads