• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stepped out of my comfort zone today and reduced the bright redness of my red Tricker Bourton's. They were so red, I could only go out in them if I was having a hypomanic episode.

First I gave them a good brushing. Then I used two thin coats of Saphir Hermes Red, a much more muted red cream. Finally, I used one coat of Collonil Burgundy cream. Between coatings, I gave the shoes a good brushing and (obviously) a final good brushing.

Overall, the effect was good. I found that the Burgundy was a bit streaky but I quickly resolved this with the help of a micro cloth duster. I used this to remove darker streaks and it worked well. I removed any remaining burgundy cream from the brogue holes with Q-Tips. A final, final brushing made them look very good. They are still red but not nearly as bright red as they were. At a later date I might mute them a little more by using the burgundy cream again. I want to do this incrementally as I don't want to reduce the colour to a burgundy. I think I will aim for a shade of 'conker'. That's as daring as my shoe care goes for the moment. Tomorrow, I am back to plain but regular brushing. With all good wishes, Munky. [cross posted with the Tricker thread]

Last edited:

nzahir

Reaction score
I use shoe cream all over the shoe but I don't use it often. I generally stick to Bick 4 unless the shoe has gone a good amount of time without pigmented cream and could use a refresh of color.

My typical upkeep is Bick 4 and two thin layers of wax.
Is Bick 4 better than Saphir Renovateur as a conditioner or at least a better value?

Never heard of it until I started digging here

nzahir

Reaction score
The postings, above, indicate the problems of wax of wax sometimes 'cracking'. It is difficult to know what you mean by 'hard' and 'soft' areas... You seem to have at least four options. One: use just cream all over your shoes. Two, use cream and wax all over your shoes. Three, use cream all over your shoes and go for a 'mirror shine' on the toe caps. Four, use cream and wax all over your shoes and mirror shine the toe caps. You don't need to use conditioner unless the shoes need it.

I only use shoe cream and not wax or conditioner.
By Hard areas I mean the toe cap, back panel of the shoe. Areas that flex less easily

Shoe cream seems to even have caused a white line cracking issue on my AE fifth ave. Maybe used too much or didn't brush it off well, not sure

AE employee told me to use cream only when color is fading and use very lightly on areas that flex. Can use more often on harder areas if I wanted, but to stick with conditioner

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Is Bick 4 better than Saphir Renovateur as a conditioner or at least a better value?

Never heard of it until I started digging here
They have two different uses. Bick 4 is a good all around conditioner. Renovateur should be used sparingly when your shoe needs a good cleaning. Renovateur can darken the shoe color and also should be cautiously used on shoes with patina's as it can take it off.

Bick 4 is like $5 on Amazon for a large bottle. Renovateur is like $24 or something. I use it maybe 2-3 times a year on a shoe.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you guys use shoe cream on areas that flex? Seems like it is best to just use conditioner and then use shoe cream on hard areas or use on softer areas very lightly when color is becoming very dull

And is there a preference towards wax vs shoe cream between you guys?

I use one layer of cream on my entire shoe.

You don't often need multiple layers of cream. One layer is enough to nourish and shine.

The cream doesn't flake like wax.

I do: one layer of cream.
One layer of wax.
Multiple layers of wax on toe and heel for a mirror shine.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stepped out of my comfort zone today and reduced the bright redness of my red Tricker Bourton's. They were so red, I could only go out in them if I was having a hypomanic episode.

First I gave them a good brushing. Then I used two thin coats of Saphir Hermes Red, a much more muted red cream. Finally, I used one coat of Collonil Burgundy cream. Between coatings, I gave the shoes a good brushing and (obviously) a final good brushing.

Overall, the effect was good. I found that the Burgundy was a bit streaky but I quickly resolved this with the help of a micro cloth duster. I used this to remove darker streaks and it worked well. I removed any remaining burgundy cream from the brogue holes with Q-Tips. A final, final brushing made them look very good. They are still red but not nearly as bright red as they were. At a later date I might mute them a little more by using the burgundy cream again. I want to do this incrementally as I don't want to reduce the colour to a burgundy. I think I will aim for a shade of 'conker'. That's as daring as my shoe care goes for the moment. Tomorrow, I am back to plain but regular brushing. With all good wishes, Munky. [cross posted with the Tricker thread]

Great work. Could you post some pics? I'd love to see the transformation.

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I also rub down between various products. I learned that from watching Japanese shoe polishing videos
For example:
Bick 4 or renovateur
buff with brush
lightly rub with chamois
polish
buff with brush
lightly rub with chamois
wax
buff with brush
you could at this point use the nylon trick but I have yet to try it.

nevaeh

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads