• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Finally got it opened with a bit of brute force!

The cognac is more orange than I expected...

It looks way more orange in the can than it does on the shoe. Trust me. I've a can of the cognac, and it doesn't go on like the sorbet colour it looks like.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a pair of my shoes that I shined with cognac polish from Saphir. IMG_20200120_1846078.jpg

Last edited:

LuxLibertas

Reaction score
Hi all. Was wondering how I should care for shoes after mirror-shining the toe. In particular, should I strip the mirror shine off occasionally and start fresh? And when I apply cream polish to the shoe, should I avoid the mirror-shined bits?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Was wondering how I should care for shoes after mirror-shining the toe. In particular, should I strip the mirror shine off occasionally and start fresh? And when I apply cream polish to the shoe, should I avoid the mirror-shined bits?

Eventually the mirror shine will fade so much you'll have to take it off; however, until that time, you can maintain it.

PUtting cream polish on the mirror shine is a good way to fill in breaks in the colour, but you'll have to put more wax on it afterwards.

IF you're using pommadier cream from saphir make sure to use a sparing amount, as the heavy creams can get trapped in the wax layers and end up discolouring the transparency of the wax.

Jazzthief

Reaction score
Hello again!

I just recieved a new pair of shoes and wanted to give them a first polish. I usually have polished with only cream as I like the soft shine that it provides the best. However, I now wanted to start using wax as it is quite rainy around here in the autumn and snowy in the winter - the reason for using wax is simply for protection. Even though wax is supposed to give a higher shine, that was not what interested me.

So let us go over the way I did things:
1) I applied cream and brushed to that nice soft shine that I like;
2) I applied wax, waited for circa 5 minutes and then brushed with a horsehair brush - I applied only a single layer of wax;
3) The "shine" was very cloudy and dull - no real shine to speak of though I had had the impression that at this stage things should be done;
4) I polished with a fine cotton cloth - I did put some proper elbow grease into it, but to no avail;
5) I got fed up and applied another layer of cream on top of the wax and brushed with a horsehair brush - the result was a pretty decent soft shine, but not as good as before applying wax;
6) In addition, the shine seems to be more fragile now due to wax as it gets streaks from wax more easily - overall it does not come close to regular cream shine when it should be even shinier due to wax.

So what went wrong here? Why did I not get a shine with the wax? How does an additional coat of cream affect the wax and its function?

I used Collonil 1909 cream and wax.

Best regards,

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello again!

I just recieved a new pair of shoes and wanted to give them a first polish. I usually have polished with only cream as I like the soft shine that it provides the best. However, I now wanted to start using wax as it is quite rainy around here in the autumn and snowy in the winter - the reason for using wax is simply for protection. Even though wax is supposed to give a higher shine, that was not what interested me.

So let us go over the way I did things:
1) I applied cream and brushed to that nice soft shine that I like;
2) I applied wax, waited for circa 5 minutes and then brushed with a horsehair brush - I applied only a single layer of wax;
3) The "shine" was very cloudy and dull - no real shine to speak of though I had had the impression that at this stage things should be done;
4) I polished with a fine cotton cloth - I did put some proper elbow grease into it, but to no avail;
5) I got fed up and applied another layer of cream on top of the wax and brushed with a horsehair brush - the result was a pretty decent soft shine, but not as good as before applying wax;
6) In addition, the shine seems to be more fragile now due to wax as it gets streaks from wax more easily - overall it does not come close to regular cream shine when it should be even shinier due to wax.

So what went wrong here? Why did I not get a shine with the wax? How does an additional coat of cream affect the wax and its function?

I used Collonil 1909 cream and wax.

Best regards,

You might have used too much wax and not have buffed enough, but you also want to use a tiny bit of water, too.

I would put on two-three more layers of wax for the best results. Also, try a lady's nylon stocking and rub it vigorously, but soft, over the surface.

Jazzthief

Reaction score
You might have used too much wax and not have buffed enough, but you also want to use a tiny bit of water, too.

I would put on two-three more layers of wax for the best results. Also, try a lady's nylon stocking and rub it vigorously, but soft, over the surface.

Alright, I will give your suggestions a try next week when the shoes should be due for another shine.

A couple of questions however: 1) should I use the water when polishing with a cloth; 2) is the nylon stocking meant as a final finishing buff after all previous polishing (with water etc.)?

Thank you!

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, I will give your suggestions a try next week when the shoes should be due for another shine.

A couple of questions however: 1) should I use the water when polishing with a cloth; 2) is the nylon stocking meant as a final finishing buff after all previous polishing (with water etc.)?

Thank you!

Apply a sparing spritz of water on the cloth or on the shoe and then buff with the cloth after you waited for the wax to dry. You can also spit to achieve the same effect, thus a "spit shine" .

I buff with the nylon only to finish after buffing all the layers with the cloth, but others do it every layer. I'd recommend my way, but clearly I'm prejudiced in favour of my style.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I have read multiple different views on this: Neetsfoot oil - good or bad for leather? If good, for what purposes? If bad, unviersally or in particular instances?

ZePrez

Reaction score
5 minutes is not enough for Neutral Colonill 1909. I have come to leave it for hours, mostly. It develops an interesting shine on Calfskin and on Shell Cordovan.
One of the best product on the market.

I also believe that what we see on YouTube has many of us, your very truly included, thinking it is easy ... It's not. These people are experienced and skilled. They have experience (IOW they have destroyed a few shoes ;) ) We should look at their videos as inspirations and know that there will be fails... some of these epic ... Take a, not so great pair of shoes, and learn from it .. The better , most loved ones, leave them alone or take to the pros until you know what you're doing. Stick to the KISS posts of people like Munky , et al. Once you know then you ...

JE_FR88

Reaction score
Maybe this is a bit of an odd question (or off topic), but what do you guys use to polish shoes that look 'antiqued'. I don't want to mess up the color of the beautiful shoes, but I want to protect them well. What cream and/or wax polish is the best to use then?

Also, when it comes to conditioners, I've heard good things about the Renovateur, Bick 4 and Leather Milk (Chamberlain's). Which leather conditioner do you guys use/prefer?

I'm sure you guys have discussed this in the past, but all the information out there seems so overwhelming sometimes.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe this is a bit of an odd question (or off topic), but what do you guys use to polish shoes that look 'antiqued'. I don't want to mess up the color of the beautiful shoes, but I want to protect them well. What cream and/or wax polish is the best to use then?

Also, when it comes to conditioners, I've heard good things about the Renovateur, Bick 4 and Leather Milk (Chamberlain's). Which leather conditioner do you guys use/prefer?

I'm sure you guys have discussed this in the past, but all the information out there seems so overwhelming sometimes.

Neutral polish is your go-to if you want to avoid messing with the colour of the shoe. Some people even suggest applying with your finger if you're dealing with crust leather.

I use REnovateur and Cream Universelle from Saphir myself, but Bick 4 is beloved, and leather milk has a good reputation, too. I'd used any of these.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5 minutes is not enough for Neutral Colonill 1909. I have come to leave it for hours, mostly. It develops an interesting shine on Calfskin and on Shell Cordovan.
One of the best product on the market.

I also believe that what we see on YouTube has many of us, your very truly included, thinking it is easy ... It's not. These people are experienced and skilled. They have experience (IOW they have destroyed a few shoes ;) ) We should look at their videos as inspirations and know that there will be fails... some of these epic ... Take a, not so great pair of shoes, and learn from it .. The better , most loved ones, leave them alone or take to the pros until you know what you're doing. Stick to the KISS posts of people like Munky , et al. Once you know then you ...

Yeah, I would always recommend starting with a pair of shoes that aren't as great as others to learn the ropes. But honestly, basic shoe care is not going to mess up your shoes. Polishing shoes is generally not going to cause a catastrophe to happen.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If these are hand burnished or look as though have been made to look antique, you can use a gentle cream and/or wax on them. The thing to avoid is Renovator, which will spoil the surface of the burnishing or take it off altogether. Saphir creams and polishes are always a safe bet, as are Collonil. If there is any doubt about whether or not a cream may take off some of the colour, you can always try a small bit on a part of the shoe that doesn't show very much. With these sorts of finishes, it is always safer to use neutral creams and waxes. Verge on the conservative, however you decide to treat them.

The reason I write 'cream and/or wax' is because it depends on what sort of finish you want. I tend to only use only cream because I don't like my shoes too shiny. If want a good shine, use wax on top of treatment with cream. With all good wishes, Munky.

JE_FR88

Reaction score
If these are hand burnished or look as though have been made to look antique, you can use a gentle cream and/or wax on them. The thing to avoid is Renovator, which will spoil the surface of the burnishing or take it off altogether. Saphir creams and polishes are always a safe bet, as are Collonil. If there is any doubt about whether or not a cream may take off some of the colour, you can always try a small bit on a part of the shoe that doesn't show very much. With these sorts of finishes, it is always safer to use neutral creams and waxes. Verge on the conservative, however you decide to treat them.

The reason I write 'cream and/or wax' is because it depends on what sort of finish you want. I tend to only use only cream because I don't like my shoes too shiny. If want a good shine, use wax on top of treatment with cream. With all good wishes, Munky.

Thank you so much for your replay. Thank you all by the way. May I ask why you would not use the Saphir Renovateur on those shoes? Also, would you recommend using the wax polish not necessarily for extra shine but for protection? Or would it be a safer bet to just use a neutral cream polish and then a protective spray like the invulner by Saphir?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads