• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BoydsShoes

Reaction score
You know, I think you're absolutely right.

The Indpendence Line was presented as if it were a higher option than the standard, but it is strange how some elements of it are simply not that great. I purchased the Jefferson 2.0 because of how nicely it felt in store and I was able to get my exact size with my favourite colour, but even the lambskin lining is inferior to the standard leather lining, in so much as it shows obviously more wear from only a year of wearing.

I am not intending to get the soles fixed anytime soon, but I've even noticed separation that none of my other Allen Edmonds have. I am actually thinking of contacting them about this, as I feel the quality might be beneath what I have come to expect from AE, especially at the higher price point these retail at.

One other things about slippery soles: the heel plays a role in this too. I have two pairs of shoes that have highly oiled double waterlock soles. One of them has a "Thomas" rubber heel, while the other has a combination heel that is basically mostly leather interface with the ground. The one with the rubber heel does not slip, while the one with the combination heel is like walking on ice. Interestingly, the latter was a mistake, because the person designing the special make up knew that the rubber sole was necessary with a highly oiled sole. The factory made a mistake. :dozingoff:

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One other things about slippery soles: the heel plays a role in this too. I have two pairs of shoes that have highly oiled double waterlock soles. One of them has a "Thomas" rubber heel, while the other has a combination heel that is basically mostly leather interface with the ground. The one with the rubber heel does not slip, while the one with the combination heel is like walking on ice. Interestingly, the latter was a mistake, because the person designing the special make up knew that the rubber sole was necessary with a highly oiled sole. The factory made a mistake. :dozingoff:

Id agree with you if the slippage was on the heel. Where I am feeling it slide is on the ball, though.

THe independence line has quirks the normal ae don't have. Nor does the Jr soled ones. The Jr soled ones are amazing.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the day off today so decided to do a full cleaning on my Edward Green monks.

The shoes didn't look bad at all before, in fact I think they look amazing from distance but not so quite when I am closer.
Just doing it as a project to entertaining myself, and wanted to share the whole process here

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the day off today so decided to do a full cleaning on my Edward Green monks.

The shoes didn't look bad at all before, in fact I think they look amazing from distance but not so quite when I am closer.
Just doing it as a project to entertaining myself, and wanted to share the whole process here

You did a good job cleaning them, but I'm gonna agree: the patina was beautiful. Now they look plain again.

I personally would not have done this.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You did a good job cleaning them, but I'm gonna agree: the patina was beautiful. Now they look plain again.

I personally would not have done this.

Your posts sometimes remind me of that old song: 'You say it best, when you say nothing at all'. M

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your posts sometimes remind me of that old song: 'You say it best, when you say nothing at all'. M

You think the shoes look better brought back to a plain finish? Because I think the nice patina developing from wear and polish highlighted the grain and gave depth to the colour. I much prefer that over the extremely scrubbed look.

CWL317

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a dumb question :oops: ... but how do you open a new tin of C&J Saphir wax polish? I can’t twist it open. The sticker underneath says ‘open here’ but I don’t know to what it’s referring.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a dumb question :oops: ... but how do you open a new tin of C&J Saphir wax polish? I can’t twist it open. The sticker underneath says ‘open here’ but I don’t know to what it’s referring.

If it has the little hook thing, you twist that so the metal goes under the tip and pops it open.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it has the little hook thing, you twist that so the metal goes under the tip and pops it open.
But you have to do it with "extreme" care: mine broke after a few times and now it's difficult to open the tin.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But you have to do it with "extreme" care: mine broke after a few times and now it's difficult to open the tin.

True. You shouldn't jerk it, but I have never personally had a problem with it.

If you can't use the metal hook device, you can use a flat head screw driver or a butter knife to pop it open.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It doesn’t... :confused: Just wondering if there is a trick to opening them, as the sticker underneath says ‘open here’.

If it is just a screw cap, then you just unscrew like you would anything else.

If you are having a hard time, use a rubber band to get more grip. The cases are pretty sealed when they first arrive.

CWL317

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Finally got it opened with a bit of brute force!

The cognac is more orange than I expected...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads