• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I messed up a new pair of EG's with Saphir Reno. There were some dark polish in between the grain out of the box, and I rubbed a bit too hard with Saphir as it got worse. I was able to clean the other areas but left this ugly spot. Is there a way to fix this at home? Not sure what caused this, and the dark area is the bare leather before the dye on top?

View attachment 1434592 View attachment 1434593

There was a problem like this several pages back. I think on the exact same pair of shoes. Was it you posting it?

Cream polish didn't work for the other person, so I think you might just need to take them back if you're mad. Don't tell them you messed with it and say you got 'em like this.

ducatiti

Reaction score
There was a problem like this several pages back. I think on the exact same pair of shoes. Was it you posting it?

Cream polish didn't work for the other person, so I think you might just need to take them back if you're mad. Don't tell them you messed with it and say you got 'em like this.

Not sure if it was me, but I remember posting this in the EG thread but didn't get a definite answer. Got this new for around $300 at BB, definitely not returning it. If it can't be remedied, it's OK. Just wanted to see here if I can get some ideas. I can definitely live with it for the what I paid for it :)

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it was me, but I remember posting this in the EG thread but didn't get a definite answer. Got this new for around $300 at BB, definitely not returning it. If it can't be remedied, it's OK. Just wanted to see here if I can get some ideas. I can definitely live with it for the what I paid for it :)

Use cream polish. Worst case: use dye.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ducatiti

Please do not consider dyeing your shoes. The have a beautiful finish and I would think the pebble grain vamp wouldn't take dye consistently. As stains go, that is not a dramatic one and I would live with it and allowing time and polishing to take care of it. I do share your annoyance at this. I have recently been there. Best wishes, Munky

willyto

Reaction score
Not sure why you guys like to use Renomat on new shoes. It can only go worse. That's for removing build up of wax and polish and heavy stains but it will remove the original finish depending on the leather and if rub too hard.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure why you guys like to use Renomat on new shoes. It can only go worse. That's for removing build up of wax and polish and heavy stains but it will remove the original finish depending on the leather and if rub too hard.

Agreed. Reno is only for deep wax cleaning. Do not use on new shoes. It will ruin it.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I suspect (but do not know) that Ducatiti was referring to Renovateur rather than Renomat. I wouldn't think it necessary to use either. With best wishes, Munky

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suspect (but do not know) that Ducatiti was referring to Renovateur rather than Renomat. I wouldn't think it necessary to use either. With best wishes, Munky

Renovateur is more a conditioner than a stripper. I wouldn't be as worried.

By the way, thanks for the advice on the vegetable tanned leather. The boots I picked up are quite nice and looking better with each wear.

I don't think I'll do dainite again, though. Dainite doesn't get the nice real estate for a shiny heel and edge.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A rudimentary question. If the facings on various pairs of shoes meet when the laces are tied, is this a sign that the shoes are too wide?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A rudimentary question. If the facings on various pairs of shoes meet when the laces are tied, is this a sign that the shoes are too wide?

Isn't this a desirable trait? Many gentlemen like that their oxfords show none of the tongue when the laces are tied.

So no, not too wide.

I have never seen this on a derby, though.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't this a desirable trait? Many gentlemen like that their oxfords show none of the tongue when the laces are tied.

So no, not too wide.

I think it is desirable in oxfords to have a small gap.

Not so sure about a derby, I personally prefer a bit of a gap.

nevaeh

Reaction score

The fundamental question is: how do they fit? From my understanding, a small gap, of around 5 mm, is desirable initially as that indicates proper tightness around the instep. A completely closed instep, conversely, may indicate some looseness in that area. But if your shoes fit fine, though, then a gap or no gap shouldn’t matter.

monkey66

Reaction score
20200805_075929.jpg

A bit of polishing from last night. I love how the patena develops over the years, push the burnishing by using black and dark brown cream and wax.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So no, not too wide.

I'm not too worried about what gentlemen like. I am pretty certain that the facings of shoes should not be touching. Apart from anything else, it leaves no further room for adjustment of the laces if the leather stretches a bit. I seem to remember comments about this, on here, about 5 years ago but can't find them.

monkey66

Reaction score
I'm not too worried about what gentlemen like. I am pretty certain that the facings of shoes should not be touching. Apart from anything else, it leaves no further room for adjustment of the laces if the leather stretches a bit. I seem to remember comments about this, on here, about 5 years ago but can't find them.

This. The facings touching is like the last hole on a belt, nowhere to go. What if you are wearing different socks etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads