• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

flx

Reaction score
I have also thought about using something like saddle soap but I'm not sure if that'd help with blood (on a quick google some people even suggest hydrogen peroxide but that sounds a bit radical too me and I'd be scared to damage the shoe in general (to remove a minor damage nobody can see anyways).

michaelvl

Reaction score
Maybe you could hit it with Saphir's Omni'Nettoyant. The product is marketed as an agent for the deep cleaning and stain removal from suede, nubuck, and textiles.

I have used it in the past to clean light suede shoes that had become very dirty, together with some elbow grease, it did a great job in getting them clean again.

Reactions: flx

flx

Reaction score
Maybe you could hit it with Saphir's Omni'Nettoyant. The product is marketed as an agent for the deep cleaning and stain removal from suede, nubuck, and textiles.

I have used it in the past to clean light suede shoes that had become very dirty, together with some elbow grease, it did a great job in getting them clean again.
I even have some Omni'Netetoyant right at home so maybe I'll give it a try. Not sure if blood would get out by it but I guess its worth a try.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have also thought about using something like saddle soap but I'm not sure if that'd help with blood (on a quick google some people even suggest hydrogen peroxide but that sounds a bit radical too me and I'd be scared to damage the shoe in general (to remove a minor damage nobody can see anyways).
I tried everything, from simple cornstarch to peroxide, nothing got rid of the stain. So I stripped them and dyed them darker brown. That solved the problem.

• Wow

flx

Reaction score
I tried everything, from simple cornstarch to peroxide, nothing got rid of the stain. So I stripped them and dyed them darker brown. That solved the problem.
Thats dissapointing to hear but thanks for the heads up. I guess then I'll probably have to live with it since I think stripping the inside (just the heel) is probably not worth the effort (or is it ? I have no idea, I've never stripped any leather products).

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thats dissapointing to hear but thanks for the heads up. I guess then I'll probably have to live with it since I think stripping the inside (just the heel) is probably not worth the effort (or is it ? I have no idea, I've never stripped any leather products).
If it were me, I'd live with it on the inside as it will never show, my shoes had stain on uppers that would not go away, dye was the only answer, either that or donate to charity....

Yinzer

Reaction score
Soles on Blundstones disintegrated. From reading online it looks like it's due to polyurethane aging from hydrolosis. Guessing there's no way to prevent this? I thought of putting auto detailing plastic protectant on my other pair's soles but I don't think it's the root of the problem. Not sure a replacement midsole would work either if the entire sole is poly. Slather Shoe Goo on everything?

I know Blundstones aren't high quality or GYW but I've been using them as winter beater boots.
IMG_20200713_105012[1].jpg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Soles on Blundstones disintegrated. From reading online it looks like it's due to polyurethane aging from hydrolosis. Guessing there's no way to prevent this? I thought of putting auto detailing plastic protectant on my other pair's soles but I don't think it's the root of the problem. Not sure a replacement midsole would work either if the entire sole is poly. Slather Shoe Goo on everything?

I know Blundstones aren't high quality or GYW but I've been using them as winter beater boots.
View attachment 1423255

If you want to keep them, just put anything on them to seal 'em up. Shoo goo might work, or something for tires.

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I have a doubt about horse rump leather.
Can I use Saphir Médaille d'Or Pommadier Cream Shoe Polish to add some pigment to horse rump leather ?
Or is it not recommend to use that product ?
I know Saphir has a different cordovan polish for cordovan leathers
But if I wanted to use a pigmented shoe cream on horse rump. Will Saphir Médaille d'Or Pommadier Cream Shoe Polish be safe for the leather ?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I have a doubt about horse rump leather.
Can I use Saphir Médaille d'Or Pommadier Cream Shoe Polish to add some pigment to horse rump leather ?
Or is it not recommend to use that product ?
I know Saphir has a different cordovan polish for cordovan leathers
But if I wanted to use a pigmented shoe cream on horse rump. Will Saphir Médaille d'Or Pommadier Cream Shoe Polish be safe for the leather ?

I assume you mean shell cordovan.

You should use the specific cordovan cream from Saphir, not its regular calfskin Pommadier cream for cordovan shoes.

You can, however, use the wax, though some people say that it has too much turpentine and should be used sparingly. In that case, you mght do well to use the mirror gloss, which has very little in the way of solvents, first upon the toe/heels before applying the regular wax to finish it off. That being said, I think one layer of wax is not going to harm the shoes once the cream has been applied, and that even if you were to do this over many years, the cordovan will not be harmed if you brush it well and obviously don't douse it in turpentine.

So in other words:

Use the cordovan cream
Apply mirror gloss if you're super conservative, or the regular Saphir wax
Finish as you'd like.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Luigi A test! Who wrote this poem? Prize: a luxury plastic shoe horn.

What are shoes for?
Shoes are where we live.
They come, they wake us
Time and time over.
They are to be happy in:
Where can we live but shoes?

Yours with affection, Munky.

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I assume you mean shell cordovan.

You should use the specific cordovan cream from Saphir, not its regular calfskin Pommadier cream for cordovan shoes.

You can, however, use the wax, though some people say that it has too much turpentine and should be used sparingly. In that case, you mght do well to use the mirror gloss, which has very little in the way of solvents, first upon the toe/heels before applying the regular wax to finish it off. That being said, I think one layer of wax is not going to harm the shoes once the cream has been applied, and that even if you were to do this over many years, the cordovan will not be harmed if you brush it well and obviously don't douse it in turpentine.

So in other words:

Use the cordovan cream
Apply mirror gloss if you're super conservative, or the regular Saphir wax
Finish as you'd like.

no. I don’t mean she’ll cordovan

I am actually asking advice for horserump /horsebutt/horsehide leather

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no. I don’t mean she’ll cordovan

I am actually asking advice for horserump /horsebutt/horsehide leather

Apologies.

I wouldn't know, then. I've never owned any leather from a horse that was not shell.

CWV

Reaction score
@Luigi A test! Who wrote this poem? Prize: a luxury plastic shoe horn.

What are shoes for?
Shoes are where we live.
They come, they wake us
Time and time over.
They are to be happy in:
Where can we live but shoes?

Yours with affection, Munky.
From yourself?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads