• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This might be a long shot. I found an old pair of John Lobb's and the suede has rubbed off around the toe and tongue. I'm thinking of using a dark brown dye all over to make it less obvious? Any ideas what could be done would be appreciated.

Thanks

View attachment 1419368

There you go.

Hasselmannen

Reaction score
Hi

Any suggestion how to solve this? The outermost layer has peeled off on a small spot on my CJ Pembroke in grain leather. Should I glue back the loose part or remove it? What products to use?

Thankful for any help.
B6BAF473-5195-48B1-AEBA-0BA863E19299.jpeg

0DCC8205-CDF4-4FD5-A731-5CB2F9F3B35E.jpeg

AlonsoMerino

Reaction score
Hello,

Has anyone used cole haan shoe cream? its the only one available in my country right now besides Kiwi and Aldo products. How would it compare to other products? is it worth the extra money compared to Kiwi?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi

Any suggestion how to solve this? The outermost layer has peeled off on a small spot on my CJ Pembroke in grain leather. Should I glue back the loose part or remove it? What products to use?

Thankful for any help.
View attachment 1422138

View attachment 1422137

Use Saphir renovating cream. You will want to make the colour as well as you can and do not trim the leather - just apply it so that it basically "sticks" it back in place. Then I would let it dry for quite a while, before applying shoe cream and wax to blend the renovating cream in.

The renovating cream is perfect for gouges like this. It's not that easy to work with, though. Not terribly difficult, but it can be hard to blend it in correctly.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Has anyone used cole haan shoe cream? its the only one available in my country right now besides Kiwi and Aldo products. How would it compare to other products? is it worth the extra money compared to Kiwi?

I've never used Cole Haan shoe cream, but I imagine it might be better than Kiwi. I imagine it is on par with Aldo as it is a shoe-store brand cream.

Which country do you live in, if you don't mind me asking?

CWV

Reaction score
Hello,

I’m in Chile and I buy sapphire thou eBay. Also hush puppies cream seems to be natural.

flx

Reaction score
Hi, I've just bought some new beautiful dark blue derbys and wanted to apply some initial coat of polish on them to provide a base layer of protection (unless you'l tell me now that its completely useless and I should just polish them after some wear & tear)

Usually I have a brush for black polish and a brush for brown polish (which right now are still brand new since I just bought a new set).

Since I don't own any blue polish I was planning on using colorless shoepolish on the shoes. Is this a good idea or should I specifically get blue shoe polish? They're pretty dark (almost black) anyway so I'm not even sure if the available blue polishs (e.g. Saphir Navy) wouldn't even be too light.

I'm also quite unsure which brush I should use ?

Since they're very dark do I use the brush for the black polish ? Do I use the brush for the brown polish for all colorless applications as well? Or should I just buy a completely new brush just for colorless polish. Will it affect anything if I use the new brown brush for colorless polish now and brown polish afterwards ? As far as I understood it's only important not to reuse the black brush on other colors to avoid streaks.

Thanks a lot for your answer in advance!

I don't want to spam the forum but I'd love to hear your opinions on which brush / polish I should use for some new blue shoes I've bought today.

For organizational reasons I've created a separate thread but I'm also fine with receiving your suggestions directly in here.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't want to spam the forum but I'd love to hear your opinions on which brush / polish I should use for some new blue shoes I've bought today.

For organizational reasons I've created a separate thread but I'm also fine with receiving your suggestions directly in here.

Saphir make some navy cream which is very good. It looks very dark in the jar but it is ideal once it is on the shoes. I would suggest that you might buy two new horsehair brushes: one to brush your shoes when you go out and come back and the other to polish after you have applied the cream. If you want a higher shine, you could apply neutral wax after you have brushed the cream coating. Enjoy your new shoes! With best wishes, Munky.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Generally, you needn't worry about applying a cream too light on shoes. The colour will not change if the cream is lighter than the shoe. Nor will the wax. Colour change primarily occurs when the cream or wax is darker than the shoe.

Morever, if this navy is already near black, than the application of navy cream will only heighten the depth of the colour and give it a beautiful glow.

As Munky said, I recommend saphir.

As for the brushes, a horse hair brush that you use for black should be fine for any really dark navy shoe. For finishing, I'd recommend a goat's hair brush or a soft cloth.

If you are talking about application brushes, i.e. daubers, than even here a dark blue will not likely be too poorly contaminated by black. Nevertheless, you may want.

I would always suggest you use a separate dauber for neutral, though, as any colour will bleed into the neutral wax.

The advantage of buying blue polish is that it works wonders on all black shoes. In fact, black is less useful in some senses than blue.

flx

Reaction score
Generally, you needn't worry about applying a cream too light on shoes. The colour will not change if the cream is lighter than the shoe. Nor will the wax. Colour change primarily occurs when the cream or wax is darker than the shoe.

Morever, if this navy is already near black, than the application of navy cream will only heighten the depth of the colour and give it a beautiful glow.

As Munky said, I recommend saphir.

As for the brushes, a horse hair brush that you use for black should be fine for any really dark navy shoe. For finishing, I'd recommend a goat's hair brush or a soft cloth.

If you are talking about application brushes, i.e. daubers, than even here a dark blue will not likely be too poorly contaminated by black. Nevertheless, you may want.

I would always suggest you use a separate dauber for neutral, though, as any colour will bleed into the neutral wax.

The advantage of buying blue polish is that it works wonders on all black shoes. In fact, black is less useful in some senses than blue.
Since I was a bit under pressure I've used neutral polish now and everything seems to be fine but I'll definitely keep that in mind when I'm buying new Saphir products next time.
Thanks for all the great feedback.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since I was a bit under pressure I've used neutral polish now and everything seems to be fine but I'll definitely keep that in mind when I'm buying new Saphir products next time.
Thanks for all the great feedback.

You can never go wrong with neutral. It's useful for any shoe and imparts lovely shine.

flx

Reaction score
Hi again, I have a new problem ? Unfortunately a few days ago some new loafers I had bought damaged my heels but today I thought it had healed up and that it shouldn't matter when I'm wearing derbys with socks anyway...

..well guess what, my heel rubbed completely open during the day and now I have a bloodstain on the inside lining (at the heel). Is there anyway I can get rid of this ? I tried to some lukewarm water and have now put some paper in there to soak up any remaining moisture but I'm afraid this won't get rid of it completely.

Anyway I don't think it should be a big deal since I'm almost the only one ever seeing the inside lining but as those shoes were brand new it bother me more than it probably should. Does anybody maybe have some suggestion on how to "fix" it ?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few pages back there was a post on this very same topic. Someone left a giant blood stain on the back of their shoes. This was about a month ago or so. I don't remember the page.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, it was either a red wine, or beef blood stain, that wouldn't go away, so decided that I "needed" a brown pair of full strap loafers....Saphir stuff works great.
IMG_3551.jpeg
IMG_3563.jpeg

Reactions: flx

flx

Reaction score
Well for me it's just on the inside and I'd like to keep the outside color if possible. It's actually just on the heel, so I'd like to keep any aggressive cleaning to a minimum if possible. Would it be a good idea to apply Dècapant to the (suede?) lining on the heel or should this only be done if you want to change the complete outside color?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads