• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@KaleidoscopicK

1585877981048.png

freshstyle

Reaction score
How often would you need to remove the mirror shine on the cap to condition the leather on the cap?

Let's say the mirror shine never cracks on you and looks great. If it's been a year or more, do you need to condition the leather under the toecap?

willyto

Reaction score
Sounds a bit wrong-headed if you ask me. Glycerine is a humectant and attracts moisture. Absolutely nothing wrong with that if the leather isn't already in an overly humid environment where mold can take over. The idea that silicones are bad for leather is a bit overplayed, especially when it comes to leather with a topcoat on it, which is the large majority of them. A lot of it has to do with marketing, imo. If silicone is bad for leather, so is wax. They are both occlusive. Oil is occlusive as well and also has the drawdown of going rancid. Silicone in similar viscosities to oils won't. I think the negative press silicone gets isn't so much because it is silicone, but rather because overuse it will continue to build on the leather. This isn't any different than wax. I think to take care of leather you should largely leave it alone, keep it clean by brushing and condition with an emulsified conditioner without wax. Wax attracts a lot of dust and debris. You want something that penetrates into the hide as much as possible and leaves a dry, non-tacky surface. There are many good ones out there that do this if used as directed, Bick 4, Lexol, etc.
Talking about Glycerin...

I've always used a few products like Cadillac Shoe Conditioner/Bick 4(They're basically the same), Lexol (Cleaner and conditioner), Connolly Hide Care, Elephant Leather Preserver and also Saphir Creme Universelle.

Regardless of those great products when I used to restore very old vintage shoes(+ 80-90 years old) I used a technique used by a few Japanese vintage shoe collectors that can be seen here in VCLEAT tutorial and I've had shoes go from unwearable, dry and brittle to flexible, mousturized and wearable after complimenting it with the regular conditioners mentioned above. Those shoes still keep the same properties, I can't confirm what will be the long term effect but after a few years some pairs are in perfect condition and only require the first set of conditioners to be kept up in proper condition and regular shoe creams.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe that Patrick Booth above, makes a very pertinent comment:

"I think to take care of leather you should largely leave it alone, keep it clean by brushing and condition with an emulsified conditioner without wax".

With best wishes, Munky

bantone

Reaction score
What color Saphir Cream Polish should I use for these?

NmMWbGQ.png

W096EBp.png

I'm thinking Mahogony or Cognac. I thought light brown was going to be the color but that's way too light.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What color Saphir Cream Polish should I use for these?

NmMWbGQ.png

W096EBp.png

I'm thinking Mahogony or Cognac. I thought light brown was going to be the color but that's way too light.

Cognac is the colour I use for this colour shoe. Mahogany would darken it a few shades.

MacGuffen

Reaction score
So I'm running out of Saphir Renovateur, and I have these giant tubs of waxy leather conditioner laying around, so it seems wasteful not to use these instead. The red one is RM Williams leather conditioner with lanolin and beeswax, primarily meant for my RMW Comfort Craftsmen. The Fiebing's is more generic and contains vaseline, "etheric oils" and beeswax. Can I use these on my calf Carmina and C&J dress shoes for conditioning? I've read vaseline is not recommended. Thanks!
IMG_5438.jpg

Kevin24

Reaction score
In terms of Saphir products, can anyone recommend an all color heel dressing (if they actually make one?)

Thank you!

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In terms of Saphir products, can anyone recommend an all color heel dressing (if they actually make one?)

Thank you!
Usually the factory finish on heels and sole edges is a 'painted on' kind of resin, which is prone to get scared and expose the underlying raw leather colour.
If you want to take care of your heels and sole edges, the best way is to completely strip the factory finish and apply a new one.
It quite a labour intensive task but with patience and care it can be done.
I did it on several pairs of mine.
It's really necessary, though, to thoroughly understand how the leather behaves and reacts to the job done on it.
I found really invaluable the wealth of knowledge you may find in some old books written by masters of The Trade about finishing of bespoke shoes, e.g. mr. Thornton.
We have access to his work by courtesy of @DWFII , who took the chore of putting the whole book on the site he manages, "The Honourable Cordwainers' Company": a visit to whom I think is a must for anyone interested in his shoes.

vim147

Reaction score
Ive bought a pair of used Loake Buckingham in light tan colour as a project.
I want to colour/dye these to be a cognac colour. Can anyone recommend which dye i should buy for cognac thats available in UK ?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ive bought a pair of used Loake Buckingham in light tan colour as a project.
I want to colour/dye these to be a cognac colour. Can anyone recommend which dye i should buy for cognac thats available in UK ?

I believe Angelus should be available in the UK, but I am unsure. If you can find it, it's very good leather dye.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you!

I personally avoid heel dressing, but Saphir has Creme Renavatrice that works for it.

Instead of using the heel dressing, I apply cream polish to cover up any scuffs, and then apply mirror gloss, the result of which is more real estate for a blinding high shine! This is, of course, when the heel edge is leather. You can't really make rubber look nearly as nice, as rubber won't take polish, though I've heard there are products just for rubber.

Camerashy

Reaction score
I’ve seen where Preston Soto of The Elegant Oxford recommended Mod Podge to be painted on the edges.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen where Preston Soto of The Elegant Oxford recommended Mod Podge to be painted on the edges.

It's a really cool idea. Sadly, I only have matte modge podge at home, but I was thinking of picking some up at Hobby Lobby the next time I'm near one.

It'd certainly save my mirror gloss for the uppers.

I haven't personally tried it, but my heels look splendid. See the attached picture. I just took this randomly on a bus a month ago, so it is not the best picture to show it.

Attachments

• 1587414512930.JPEG
    1587414512930.JPEG
    214.6 KB · Views: 78

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads