• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lumaca

Reaction score
Yes it is my first patina shoe, feeling a little bit unlucky but I am determined to make it work

I can think of 2 alternatives:

1. Use lighter browns, which over many usages will gradually darken and meld the colours together
2. What I would personally do is just go with dark brown, any irregularities will be even more patina!

PS: Whichever you choose, don't forget to do the same to the other shoe

Opethian

Reaction score
I can think of 2 alternatives:

1. Use lighter browns, which over many usages will gradually darken and meld the colours together
2. What I would personally do is just go with dark brown, any irregularities will be even more patina!

PS: Whichever you choose, don't forget to do the same to the other shoe
LOL! I wouldn't dare try the mismatching shoes look.

shaul123

Reaction score
hey, first time here.

I would like to properly clean my shoes after years of use and wear& tear.
the shoe type is 'Caterpillar Boston p717821 Honey Reset', and the colour is honey- light. I've attached two current pictures for reference (obviously the colour is different because of lights, but the natural one is the most accurate).
I've cleaned it prior with water, dish soap and a toothbrush, and manged to scrub off some of the dirt but most of the shoe has deeper stains that that.
So I'm thinking of just buying a shoe polish with the same colour and 'paint' over the shoe, but it needs to be at the exact same colour or very similar. I'm buying from Amazon.

a) Can anyone recommend a shoe polish similar in colour?
b) is it a smart idea after trying to clean it without success? Don't have much experience with shoe polishes and if they last.

Would appreciate any help, thanks.

Attachments

• 722356_caterpillar_p717821_founder__01_kopia.jpg
    722356_caterpillar_p717821_founder__01_kopia.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20200228_165528.jpg
    IMG_20200228_165528.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20200228_165503.jpg
    IMG_20200228_165503.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 81

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hey, first time here.

I would like to properly clean my shoes after years of use and wear& tear.
the shoe type is 'Caterpillar Boston p717821 Honey Reset', and the colour is honey- light. I've attached two current pictures for reference (obviously the colour is different because of lights, but the natural one is the most accurate).
I've cleaned it prior with water, dish soap and a toothbrush, and manged to scrub off some of the dirt but most of the shoe has deeper stains that that.
So I'm thinking of just buying a shoe polish with the same colour and 'paint' over the shoe, but it needs to be at the exact same colour or very similar. I'm buying from Amazon.

a) Can anyone recommend a shoe polish similar in colour?
b) is it a smart idea after trying to clean it without success? Don't have much experience with shoe polishes and if they last.

Would appreciate any help, thanks.

Here you go.

Try this video first.

vim147

Reaction score
I bought these Loake Burford's in Tan colour off eBay but the toe cap and rest of the shoes seem to have a sheen to them which i dont really like. Possibly the previous owner was shining them with mid brown polish/wax or its just a build up of the patina.

I want to turn them into more of the original colour which is a orangey/tan shade.
What process do you recommend ? Perhaps Acetone/nail polish remover - Iron over wet cloth to get rid of creases and tighten leather as they seem stretched - leather conditioner - light brown polish - wax ?

The picture show is with shoe trees in.

20200228_164017.jpg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought these Loake Burford's in Tan colour off eBay but the toe cap and rest of the shoes seem to have a sheen to them which i dont really like. Possibly the previous owner was shining them with mid brown polish/wax or its just a build up of the patina.

I want to turn them into more of the original colour which is a orangey/tan shade.
What process do you recommend ? Perhaps Acetone/nail polish remover - Iron over wet cloth to get rid of creases and tighten leather as they seem stretched - leather conditioner - light brown polish - wax ?

View attachment 1345805

I'd used Saphir renomat or Angelus deglazer over acetone. I mean, you could use acetone, but I'd prefer renomat as it is less likely to screw everything over and destroy the leather and such.

If you use the iron over a rag (I also find that steam from a kettle is really good for this, too) be sure to avoid deforming the toe box.

Definitely condition after you strip. Then I'd put on cream polish in the colour that you want, then wax 'em the way you want to.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1345805

I would possibly try a good scrub with saddle soap first it may be enough to strip the old products. Failing that renomat used with care might help.

in terms of reducing the creasing I have had success in the past using the soaking in water method then putting shoe trees and letting them dry with the trees in. I then took the trees out after about a day to allow the inside of shoe to dry out. Took about 3 days to dry from memory.

I would recommend a gentle approach first before resorting to the stronger products and heat. The boots don’t look in too bad shape to me. I appreciate the shoe trees are minimising creases in your photo.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would possibly try a good scrub with saddle soap first it may be enough to strip the old products. Failing that renomat used with care might help.

in terms of reducing the creasing I have had success in the past using the soaking in water method then putting shoe trees and letting them dry with the trees in. I then took the trees out after about a day to allow the inside of shoe to dry out. Took about 3 days to dry from memory.

I would recommend a gentle approach first before resorting to the stronger products and heat. The boots don’t look in too bad shape to me. I appreciate the shoe trees are minimising creases in your photo.

I agree with trying saddle soap first, but I generally don't see a lot of heavy polish come off with saddle soap. It is great at cleaning the leather, but it doesn't eat through layers of wax and cream quite as nicely.

Opethian

Reaction score
I agree with trying saddle soap first, but I generally don't see a lot of heavy polish come off with saddle soap. It is great at cleaning the leather, but it doesn't eat through layers of wax and cream quite as nicely.
+1
It doesn't look like it needs an aggressive approach from the let go.

shaul123

Reaction score

Here you go.

Try this video first.

Thanks for the reply.

I prefer shoe polish and not cleaning, since I've done it before to no effect.
Someone recommended to just buy a neutral shoe polish (Kiwi, Kelly's..) and polish over the shoe since neutral wont 'overpower' the original shoe colour.

Do you guys agree?

Thanks.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I prefer shoe polish and not cleaning, since I've done it before to no effect.
Someone recommended to just buy a neutral shoe polish (Kiwi, Kelly's..) and polish over the shoe since neutral wont 'overpower' the original shoe colour.

Do you guys agree?

Thanks.

Your shoes are way too dirty, stained, and dried out/cracked for shoe polish alone to help you.

Plus, more importantly: shoe polish isn't meant for nubuck. It isn't full grain leather, or even corrected grain leather, or top grain.

You're not going to be able to get these shoes back to the same colour. Nubuck isn't the type of thing you can dye with cream polishes.

yengli

Reaction score
Today i wore some new boxcalf shoes in the rain, the results were some wet elevated spots in the leather.
i thought I had applied enough wax polish on them but I guess not enough. I tried to take some pictures to show the extent of the spots. Should I just let the dry or should I take care of them another way? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 7BDCE2B6-68EA-4E9E-A12D-63DCFEA6FCA4.jpeg
    7BDCE2B6-68EA-4E9E-A12D-63DCFEA6FCA4.jpeg
    354.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 00684CAC-BC18-4BC5-9650-A7027B9F6012.jpeg
    00684CAC-BC18-4BC5-9650-A7027B9F6012.jpeg
    234.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 08A68692-5D2D-476D-A327-7F81792C4449.jpeg
    08A68692-5D2D-476D-A327-7F81792C4449.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 97

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today i wore some new boxcalf shoes in the rain, the results were some wet elevated spots in the leather.
i thought I had applied enough wax polish on them but I guess not enough. I tried to take some pictures to show the extent of the spots. Should I just let the dry or should I take care of them another way? Thanks in advance!

Let them completely dry out (with shoe trees in), then if the stains persist, then repolish with cream and then wax.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads