• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lumaca

Reaction score
Spectacular! How well does it hold the shine — how well does it persist — and how easy is it to bring back the shine with buffing only?

I'm pretty bad at keeping my feet from furnitures, and these are not gonna hold against them. However, I found this to be very good at "patching bald spots" in mirror shines.

Hmm, would you say that? The Amiral Gloss is great, but having used both the MDO Mirror Gloss and the Amiral Gloss, I'd give the slight edge to the MDO gloss. The shine lasts longer and is more durable and slightly easier to apply.

We're talking like, 10 v. 9.5, though. THe difference is not that big, and Amiral Gloss is fantastic in general.

Perhaps a blind study using MDO and BDC on 2 toes of the same pair is needed!

Opethian

Reaction score
So I just received these shoes! From a respected brand.
Can any of you gentlemen please tell me what this is? And how to fix it? Or is it something normal and I should just let it be.
View attachment 1345073
Any ideas? This is driving me nuts, is this acetone spot? It's straight out of the box this way.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its one of the options, it's an overseas purchase so sending them back will incur shipping and customs expenses so I am keeping it as a last option I guess.

I would send them the photo and ask for their advice on how to proceed and for the record: maybe you get a discount or a different solution.

On the other hand, probably it can be solved with some cream and wax of the same color.

Opethian

Reaction score
I would send them the photo and ask for their advice on how to proceed and for the record: maybe you get a discount or a different solution.

On the other hand, probably it can be solved with some cream and wax of the same color.
It is small as you can see and not on the vamp or Toe box so this makes it less annoying.

I was considering darkening it using vegetable or mink oil as a first step, then, if required use what you mentioned and apply some dark cream polish to touch it up.

What do you reckon this is though? Looks like alcohol or acetone to me

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I just received these shoes! From a respected brand.
Can any of you gentlemen please tell me what this is? And how to fix it? Or is it something normal and I should just let it be.
View attachment 1345073

It's just an imperfection in the finish. You could cover it up just fine with some shoe cream.

If you want to make sure the cream polish takes, leave it on over night and then brush off.

It's so minor an imperfection there is no need to take back the shoes.

Opethian

Reaction score
It's just an imperfection in the finish. You could cover it up just fine with some shoe cream.
Thanks.. Sounds good enough.
I will try some medium brown cream and see what happens

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty bad at keeping my feet from furnitures, and these are not gonna hold against them. However, I found this to be very good at "patching bald spots" in mirror shines.

Perhaps a blind study using MDO and BDC on 2 toes of the same pair is needed!

I've been wanting to do that for a while.

I'd really like to see how much better, if at all, the MDO is over BDC, as I don't think it is a gigantic difference - at most, like, 20%. Saphir's BDC is surprisingly excellent.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks.. Sounds good enough.
I will try some medium brown cream and see what happens

Yep. It should work just fine. Make sure you apply the cream to the whole shoe so everything is the same colour, but put special focus on the splotch.

If you're using Saphir, it'll be zero problem to leave it on over night. I don't know if Meltonian or Kelly's or Tarrago should be put on over night, but really, there doesn't seem to be any immediate notion of harm that would come from that. All shoe creams nourish to varying extents, so there is no downside to not brushing it off, and letting the colour just stain in longer.

Opethian

Reaction score
Yep. It should work just fine. Make sure you apply the cream to the whole shoe so everything is the same colour, but put special focus on the splotch.

If you're using Saphir, it'll be zero problem to leave it on over night. I don't know if Meltonian or Kelly's or Tarrago should be put on over night, but really, there doesn't seem to be any immediate notion of harm that would come from that. All shoe creams nourish to varying extents, so there is no downside to not brushing it off, and letting the colour just stain in longer.
I am using saphir, what worries me is that it’s patina shoes.
Actually I tried to use a Q tip to apply some coconut oil to see if it darkens it up a bit and it did, however, it did leave a dark are in that spot.
I blieve once the oil dries up it should look better, next will be an overall conditioning and polish.
What worries me is that color came off in the Q tip which is really strange

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am using saphir, what worries me is that it’s patina shoes.
Actually I tried to use a Q tip to apply some coconut oil to see if it darkens it up a bit and it did, however, it did leave a dark are in that spot.
I blieve once the oil dries up it should look better, next will be an overall conditioning and polish.
What worries me is that color came off in the Q tip which is really strange

Okay, if it is a patina shoe, then don't use cream over the whole thing - just on the spot. Use a neutral cream for the rest.

It is strange the oil would take off more colour, given the splotch seems to be a part where the finish is flawed. Nevertheless, I would be careful with oils in general, because the lack of a pigment in the oils will mean that you're just staining the leather with the oil itself. At that point, you might as well stain it with some dye to be sure you get the right colour, but that's a pain ********** to do.

But yeah, I would put the cream on the spot, blend it in with the surrounding, then use only a neutral cream if the shoe has been patinaed already.

Opethian

Reaction score
Okay, if it is a patina shoe, then don't use cream over the whole thing - just on the spot. Use a neutral cream for the rest.
Yes it is my first patina shoe, feeling a little bit unlucky but I am determined to make it work

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes it is my first patina shoe, feeling a little bit unlucky but I am determined to make it work

It really shouldn't be too hard. Creams work wonders, and the problem is minor anyway. Minor in the sense that it is just one spot, not the whole shoe, or a giant part of the toe or heel counter.

Opethian

Reaction score
It really shouldn't be too hard. Creams work wonders, and the problem is minor anyway. Minor in the sense that it is just one spot, not the whole shoe, or a giant part of the toe or heel counter.
That definitely lifts my spirits! Thank you

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads