• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BXpress

Reaction score
Renovateur will brush up to a pleasant sheen.

I disagree there. I used to apply stuff over Renovateur in order to lessen the oily effect, because the leather always looked kinda greasy. I have actually switched to Famaco Gelee Delicate. Their version of Renovateur but Argan oil based instead of Mink oil. Initially it does the same as Renovateur in that it easily strips older layers of polish, but the real difference is that there is no oily look to it once it's buffed. The shoes look perfectly polished. Really a good product.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I disagree there. I used to apply stuff over Renovateur in order to lessen the oily effect, because the leather always looked kinda greasy. I have actually switched to Famaco Gelee Delicate. Their version of Renovateur but Argan oil based instead of Mink oil. Initially it does the same as Renovateur in that it easily strips older layers of polish, but the real difference is that there is no oily look to it once it's buffed. The shoes look perfectly polished. Really a good product.
I think there may be some confusion here. The Renovateur that I was referring to was the one made under the Saphir label. It is water based and does not contain mink oil. There is a Avel version which has a different formulation that does include mink oil. Saphir Renovateur is a very light conditioner and is not greasy at all. I don't have any experience of the Avel or Famaco ones. Kind regards, Munky.

BXpress

Reaction score
I think there may be some confusion here. The Renovateur that I was referring to was the one made under the Saphir label. It is water based and does not contain mink oil. There is a Avel version which has a different formulation that does include mink oil. Saphir Renovateur is a very light conditioner and is not greasy at all. I don't have any experience of the Avel or Famaco ones. Kind regards, Munky.

Same i was talking about. Saphir renovateur standard version. It doesn't contain mink oil? Pretty sure i've read somwhere that it does only in smaller amounts than the propper mink oil version. Whatever it is, i find that it makes the shoes look oily.

amiga505

Reaction score
does not make it clear for me I'm afraid. I remember at first I tried to have only the Renovateur applied, but the same 'dirty spots' appeared after exposure to rain. it did feel like Renovateur covers the shoe in a sort of film, possible perhaps to compare with grease, but it did not look that greasy for me personally, I actually liked the effect. but it seemed that while perfect for dry weather, this film was penetrated or reacting to water with those 'dirty spots', this is why I got the idea that it has to be covered with some water-repellent like wax. I started doing that, and i worked just fine. this time around I decided to go with the cream as from reading about shoe care I got the impression that too much waxing is to be avoided. same 'dirty spots' effect returned after the rain.

Last edited:

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My apologies. Saphir Renovateur does contain mink oil. Yours, Munky

crow1503

Reaction score
Hello guys. I really need all of your help.
Right now I want to buy vintage cat's paw sole (half sole + twin grip heels) do you guys can help me where to buy this soles online? ( since I'm living in Asia)
I'm really sorry if I post in the wrong forum but I hope you guys don't mind it and help me! Thanks!!
Screenshot_20191219-223941_Chrome.jpg

willyto

Reaction score
What do you guys use for sole edge dressing?

The ones i see on Hanger Project are color specific.

I only have a pair with black edge and the rest are either brown or natural.

Was thinking of only getting a black and a neutral but have a hard time finding the neutral.
I use regular cream polish and then wax.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
has anyone considered or tried using rotary brushes on a drill instead of hand brushing? I absolutely despise brushing. I know there are rotary horsehair brushes available but not sure how soft or firm they are

knezz

Reaction score
has anyone considered or tried using rotary brushes on a drill instead of hand brushing? I absolutely despise brushing. I know there are rotary horsehair brushes available but not sure how soft or firm they are
I would think that would be erratic and dangerous (could damage shoes).

This might work. Never used one.
Polisher

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use regular cream polish and then wax.

I usually do the same but I feel like my C&J Snowdon's possibly need more than this now after some use in wet conditions.

From what I have read I should probably sand the edges smooth using a fine grit paper and then apply saphir dye/edge dressing (or similar product). Haven't got around to trying this yet.

I find the cream and polish barely lasts now that the edge is all rough. I can cover it up but it only lasts one wear at a time currently.

076227CD-E615-4DF5-BF60-E898FBBC332A.jpeg.jpg

new_one

Reaction score
Hello.
Recently I bought used shoes with messed up colour - a lot of dark spots and extremely oily surface. I cleaned them with Renomat and applied conditioner, but now I'm not sure should I try to clean them better or they are ok and adding cream+wax should be enough.

(link to original in the album)

Last edited:

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello.
Recently I bought used shoes with messed up colour - a lot of dark spots and extremely oily surface. I cleaned them with Renomat and applied conditioner, but now I'm not sure should I try to clean them better or they are ok and adding cream+wax should be enough.

(link to original in the album)

They look absolutely fine to me. In fact they look great.

I wouldn’t do much more to them. Maybe a couple of thin coats of wax polish.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads