1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. starro

starro Senior member

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017 at 9:25 AM
  2. starro

starro Senior member

3. starro

starro Senior member

@benf:

The solvent in conditioners is no where strong enough to desolve the dye. Saphir Renovateur has I believe mink oil, which is known to darken leather.

4. purpleporing

purpleporing Member

Hey all. I read through these threads from time to time, but now that it's almost 1000 pages, sorry if this has been asked before...

(1) For shoe edges -- edge dressing or wax of the appropriate color?
    (2) Thoughts on getting a toe tap affixed to a pair of shoes after it has already been worn as part of a rotation for a year or two? Or should I just wait, at this point, until they're so worn out that I need to get them resoled, and get toe taps on then? The soles are nowhere near that worn, but the toe area is getting some pretty heavy damage for some reason. Ah well.
    (3) I've searched this site forever and found a couple of older threads, but anyone able to recommend a good cobbler around the Orange County area? Or even LA??

5. benhour

benhour Senior member

It is depending on the kind of the dye if conditioners solvents are strong enough to dissolve the dye!!

1) edge dressing covers faster and most of the time doesnt need a buff to raise a shine but its quite common to stain something permanently with it hahah! Generally both will do the trick for you!

2) you can use some screwed on metal toe taps to prolong the life of your soles (not flashed)!! they wont do any harm if they are placed the proper way!

6. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

:fonz:

Some dyes... and esp. on some leathers...never strike well, and because of this there may be excess dyestuff that oils in a conditioner can "float."

Even water can cause a leather to "bleed."

benhour likes this.
  7. Fredsuitup

Fredsuitup New Member

I just got myself a pair of Loake Aldwych in dark brown!
    Any recommendations before use? A neutral shoe creme? Get a thin rubber sole added?
    Is it possible to get it resoled to danite when the time comes?
    I understand that I kinda did a mistake getting leather soled shoes... But whatever :D