1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

Problem is I have way too many shoes & boot just like any other gents on SF & boot season is all most ending so figured to store them up. I just can't leave them
    Out side since I won't be using them & it will collect dust.

2. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Quote: The term for those bags is generally "dust bags", which should tell you something. Certainly your shoes don't melt if exposed to dust, but if you have a big rotation (I'm at 19 pairs), it seems a very small amount of effort to avoid dust.

1 person likes this.
  3. stephenaf2003

stephenaf2003 Senior member

blasphemy [​IMG]

4. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

Lol original shoe box or plastic one lol

5. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Mine is a mix, so I'm doing something blasphemous either way. The downside for the Container Store boxes for me is they don't stack well with the regular show boxes and take up more room compared to my U.S. 9D boxes.

6. stephenaf2003

stephenaf2003 Senior member

all of mine are in the original boxes...some are a little worse for wear, as my Neo puppy got a hold of a few occasionally as I'm polishing/cleaning them before I notice and shoo him away.

7. Munky

Munky Senior member

If you think that shoes take up a lot of space, think about how much more space fedora hats, in their boxes, take. I am on my 16th pair of shoes and 9th hat. I could squeeze in another pair of shoes but not another hat (well, maybe I could squeeze one in, if I tried.).

The idea of storing your shoes outside doesn't sound too great, if you mean just putting them outside of the back door. I admit to having thought about putting some, in sealed boxes, in the garage, but I'm not sure the boxes would do much for the shoes. I would also worry that I would forget about them. Nothing worse than a forgotten pair of shoes. [​IMG]

With many fraternal greetings, Munky.

2 people like this.
  8. EnglishShoes

EnglishShoes Senior member

I got caught out in the rain in my favourite boots (Trickers, calf leather) and each rain spot has left VERY similar looking raised/dull spots on the leather surface.

Is there anything I can do to remove them on calf?

I can't believe that rugged winter boots can "suffer" so much with a few drops of rain!

9. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yeah, it is when the leather gets wet and swells under the wax polish. I was going to suggest working it with a bone, or spoon. Also, a thin hit of renomat does the trick, but then you have to condition and rebuild the finish. Kind of a pain in the ass. This has always been my gripe about shell which swells and leaves spots with the smallest dusting of moisture.

1 person likes this.
  10. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

I don't bother storing shoes in bags or shoes, either, unless I know I'm not going to use them for a very long time to come. I brush my shoes before and after wearing them. I feel this is enough care along with regular cleaning/conditioning. I agree that shoes are meant to be used for what they are made for - to be worn. Admittedly, I baby my shell cordovans, but my bovines get used.

As for temperature, that's definitely a factor. Leather is skin, after all. Too much heat or dry air isn't good for skin. Canadian winters are very dry and the heat is always on. The temperature is constant and not too high (lower hydro bills), so I'm not worried about that. My concern is how dry the air is.

Rain sucks!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  11. kbuzz

kbuzz Senior member

I small cracked has developed on my Edward greens. I know this process cannot be reversed. But is there anyway to "seal" the crack to stop it from spreading and to prevent moisture which could exacerbate the situation. Sort of like a liquid band aid ?

12. kbuzz

kbuzz Senior member

Second But unrelated question of the Day

Anyone happen to know the difference between the three Saphir/Avel soaps. I know saddle soap is not recommended here but winter does not allow me to use renomat indoors, so looking for a milder alternative....

Saddle Soap: https://www.amazon.com/Saphir-Made-...8&qid=1489352862&sr=8-1&keywords=Saphir++Soap

Saphir Leather Rejuvenator Cleaning Soap [https://selektsupply.com/collection...enator-cleaning-soap-made-in-france-100ml-tin

Savon Cuir Lisse AVEL - Leather soap https://selektsupply.com/products/s...-made-in-france-100ml-tin?variant=16501456193

Thanks....

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  13. EnglishShoes

EnglishShoes Senior member

Has anyone used Saphir Creme De Luxe 1789

It is supposed to be a water proofing agent for smooth leathers.

I'm looking for somthing to regularly use on the vamps of my calf shoes/boots as I find that Saphir cream polish just flakes off the vamp after an hour or so.

14. Adria

Adria New Member

Does anyone happen to use Salamander Professional Wetter Schutz cream for smooth leather?
    Is it ok that this cream is washing out with water? [​IMG]

I have Ecco shoes with Gore-TEX. So I was told to use "special", TEX-compatible creams. I suppose, they are water-based, what prevents sealing of the shoes pores.
    So I've found this Salamander Professional Wetter Schutz cream, which is Gore-TEX compatible, and also protects shoes from water and dust (should has some wax, but I couldn't find its ingredients).

I polished my shoes with this thing and tried to test this cream's waterproofing abilities, but the water spread around the toe of the shoe and didn't rolled down.
    The most fascinating part was coming - after I touched the water on the shoe toe, my finger became black with dissolved cream.
    I moved finger around and it was getting more and more black.

So, I'm curious, what it was. Is it ok for this cream to be this way and it should be accompanied by a senior wax or cream to protect it from water?
    Or it's just its "professional quality"?

Pardon me for potentially noob question, but I faced it for the first time and failed to google an answer or get it directly from Salamander [​IMG]

15. freshstyle

freshstyle Well-Known Member

I'm looking for advice. I want to lighten my brown strands just a shade to a medium brown like bourbon. First pic is my brown strand. Second pic is bourbon color.

Should I use acetone, lighter fluid, rubbing alcohol? Mix in water?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  16. Diego65

Diego65 Well-Known Member

Hi!
    Those are beautiful shoes, and the colour looks perfect.

1 person likes this.
  17. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

I don't think that you'll have much luck making them much lighter. You can remove some built-up polish to lighten shoes, but yours don't seem to have much of that. I've recolored several pairs myself. I even tried to make one pair lighter, using a leather bleach (after stripping them with acetone). They did not lighten significantly, even with all time and effort that I gave them.

18. rwtc

rwtc Senior member

19. kbuzz

kbuzz Senior member

I'm pretty sure having read a number of threads on this topic that consensus is you can go darker but not the other way

20. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior member

thought i was solid enough on shoe care, but these scotch grain chukkas (c&j brecons) are proving a little tricky. i essentially treat them as a wet weather shoe, and it shows. all i've ever done is some reno and cream polish on them. I let them rest between wears and use trees. some issues:

some lighter colored residue showing in creases and crevices between the grain (first pic). can't tell if the leather is just really dry or if i used too much reno last time.
    water stains along the toe of both shoes (first and second pic)
    circular stain on right vamp, not sure what it's from. maybe from food oil/grease (second pic)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

would love any advice. i'm not super concerned with getting rid of all the stains. the residue between the cracks is more concerning. just want to make sure they're well conditioned.