1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. starro

starro Senior member

The Loake 1880s would probably be your entry point to quality leather footwear, locally based in UK. If money is tight, wait for sales, or buy second-hand from people who bought but shoes don't fit. What about "Japanese crafsmanship" that catches your eye?

2. Munky

Munky Senior member

Loake 1880s are a good place to start. I have quite a few pairs of them, alongside Tricker's, Sander's and so on. All are available in the UK and all offer good service.

However, for what it's worth, I think that only we, as individuals, can decide what we do and don't like. If you like it and can afford it, buy it and don't listen to too many dissenting voices. There is room for everyone, both here and in the real world too! [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. Mojo1990

Mojo1990 Senior member

I was reading the Japanese Shoes: Bespoke & RTW super thread.

4. Nick V.

Nick V. Senior member Dubiously Honored

?

5. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

From a distance, my shell cordovan looks fine.

Up close, I can see these small spots. They are slightly lighter in color, and a little bit raised from the surrounding surface.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Do I just ignore this?
    Is there something that I should do?

6. starro

starro Senior member

I see this on calfskin too, fwiw. Freudenberg boxcalf to be exact.

I don't do anything special besides regular polish and condition.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  7. M2511

M2511 Senior member

I've worked these out with back of a spoon and some saphir renovateur and similar results with a deer bone. Takes a little bit of work but they go away. Brushing afterwards of course. Others have said itll go away with time and brushing.

3 people like this.
  8. stephenaf2003

stephenaf2003 Senior member

I've worked these out of my shells with nothing other than a deer bone.

It took me a few tries to get the hang of it, but now, I just go to town on all my shell boots with my deer bone it works really well on them.

9. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

So gents what do you guys recommend for storing shoes & boot I have been using original shoe box. But picked up shoe container & boot container from container store. It's plastic & see through easy way to organize. If I take my shoes & boot put shoe trees on them, put them inside shoe bag & then store them in plastic containers. Will this create any kind of problem long term wise. From my understand no, but buddy says shoes & boot need to breath etc. So figured to ask you gents & get your input also, they will be kept stacked in closet.

10. Biggquis

Biggquis Senior member

Any way to lessen wrinkling that has occurred near the toebox? You know what... nevermind. It's fine. I think. Right? fa;lksdjf;lakdjs;flajds;lkfaj;ed

11. DaveCPA

DaveCPA Well-Known Member

I agree with him. Store in the open.

12. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

Any recommendations for storing long term wise if shoe or boot not being used?

13. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I don't think those boxes are airtight, but I'm not a fan. I doubt they'll hurt.

I store my shoes on a shelf in bags. Brush 'em before and after you wear them, put trees in them and don't worry about it. Bags are a good thing IMHO, but plenty of people just leave them out.

14. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

I use those containers too for some of my shoes. Been about 4 years, don't think there has been any ill effect yet.

15. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

My son uses them for all of his Air Jordans...

;)

16. stephenaf2003

Being an empty nester, I repurposed one of my kids rooms for a shoe room. Space issue solved....lol

I know, I've got a problem...the smell of the shoe leather and saphir when I walk in the room is intoxicatingly sublime.

17. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

Make sense to me lol :D

18. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

Just trying to find a way to keep all the boot clean & stored with out collecting dust lol & thank you gents for all your help & input it's been greatly appreciated!!

19. Munky

Munky Senior member

I just keep them on a rack. I don't put them in bags unless I am travelling. I don't put them in boxes, either. I look after them in terms of polishing and the occasional use of conditioner. I brush them a lot, too.

Like Steph, above, I use our now spare room as a shoe room, which my wife complains about with some regularity. I do have my piano and printer in there, too, so I think it is a reasonable arrangement! Gets very untidy, though.

A question related to the above. Is temperature critical when storing shoes? I do not have the heating on in the room in which I store my shoes. Obviously, the room can get pretty cold in the winter. In the summer, it gets a bit warmer, although, as I have written before, we don't really do summer, here in Wales.

Despite my question and all of the ones, above, I am inclined to think that shoes are for wearing and for not for treating like sensitive children. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
    2 people like this.
  20. stephenaf2003

Alright Munky, I feel normal now [​IMG]

I should have added I store mine in bags & in the boxes. Again, probably not normal but ensures they are dust free as possible.