1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. cypi2

cypi2 Senior member

2. freshstyle

freshstyle Well-Known Member

Is this common with other people's experiences? I do straight bar lacing, so it only appears under the leather where the laces come under the eyelets. But if I was doing criss cross lacing the ugly dark marks would appear front and center in the middle of the tongue.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  3. freshstyle

freshstyle Well-Known Member

Any ideas to not have these eyelet burrs cut into my tongue?

Is my tongue getting cut up from the burrs an inevitably of life that you all have accepted?

[​IMG]

4. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Yes.

1 person likes this.
  5. Munky

Munky Senior member

Probably the best thing you can do with shoes is to wear them. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. benhour

benhour Senior member

this looks mostly like dye/wax coming of the laces !! you can replace the laces with acrylic!it wouldn't be something that would bother me!!its on a hidden place

7. starro

starro Senior member

Might the red stains be from the brass eyelets?

8. benhour

benhour Senior member

If i am not mistaken brass eyelets produce greenish stains due to the oxidization of brass !

9. Nick V.

Nick V. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Sole guards cannot applied.
    They can be re-soled with this sole:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=ima...&ei=FRe3WPDuGMXkUor-qMAF#imgrc=AE1JvW2tSdVsiM:

It's also available in black and easy for your local repair shop to get if they don't stock them.

1 person likes this.
  10. Munky

Munky Senior member

I have to say that those look like pretty substantial soles! Do you really need any further protection? They look set to last you a long time! Yours, Munky.

11. Pieceofsand

Pieceofsand Senior member

12. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

I have some doubt that they can even be resoled with the type of sole Nick V links to.

I see no mid-sole. So the "stitiching' on the plastic "welt" is ornamental only (the welt may even be a bonwelt) and there's even a chance that that the original sole is hollow.

As for topy or some other brand of sole guard, if a cobbler wanted to grind off the lugs and other "traction" devices, and if the sole was still solid, some sort of high tech (poly-vinyl?) cement could be used to cement the sole guard on. But if it is...as I suspect...closer to an injection molded compound than the crepe that was linked above, regular neoprene cement won't work. And sole guards are always cemented.

It's a fools errand, in any event.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  13. Nick V.

Nick V. Senior member Dubiously Honored

I agree with DW regarding the sole guard. I doubt a credible shop would attempt it.

The sole can be replaced by adding a mid-sole (McKay stitched). Then cement the new sole to the mid-sole. In this case the closest to the existing sole is the one I mentioned earlier. There are various others that would work.
    Any reputable shop should be able to do it without a problem, unless the welt and sole are one piece made to look like 2 separate components. I doubt that's the case here though.
    Even if it were, there is another way of doing it. The dummy welt would have to be changed, mid-sole added then, the out-sole.

14. dnh52

dnh52 Member

Hey guys, I was on here a few days ago because I had an issue with uneven coloring on my boots (left was darker than right). So I decided to just try and even them out by darkening with coconut oil but the left boot is still quite a bit darker. Should I keep applying to the right boot? What do you guys recommend?

[​IMG]

15. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I'm sure more knowledgeable folks will weigh in, but adding more product will just add to your problems and make them harder to solve - I wouldn't keep layering stuff on.

Sit tight and get some better opinions, but you might just want to lave the darker shoe in the sun for a day or two.

1 person likes this.
  16. yunBW

yunBW Well-Known Member

Hi,

Just started into polishing shoes, but whenever I try to go for a mirror shine it just doesn't work. It's not like I need it for my environment, but you know pictures of mirror shine shoes always makes me drool. Any advice? I'm currently using Saphir pate de lux in neutral.

I'm thinking to get some color wax, but not sure what brand should I go for? Any suggestions other than saphir

Thank you

17. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Is it possible you are using too much wax? I put very little, just enough that I know it's on and gets clouded over.

18. yunBW

yunBW Well-Known Member

Possibly, so I stop adding wax when I see a bit of clouded wax on the leather right? Also, how many layers do you put?

19. troika

troika Senior member

@benhour just schooled me on this very topic just a few posts ago. Here is what he said

some quick tips:

1) generally you are going to need about 5-6 applications!!(if you use 7-8 no one is going to kill you hhahaha)
    2) apply the first layers with circular motions (no water added at all) using an old tshirt(you can use a specific cloth but wont do any difference at all)
    3) exhale on the toe and do some more swirls (not change the part of the cloth you are using) 2-3 times and now blow on the toe while you do the circles (it helps solidify the wax faster) no new wax added
    4) now you repeat the 3 step and you add some water (one drop is enough for the entire toe !now you apply the less pressure you can!! from time to time do the exhale part it helps corrects some minor issues
    5)now the best part (and the most uncommon i do) ! you take a really tiny bit of paste polish(like 2-3 pinheads) and you apply it through the entire toe !! now take a really light fabric with tight weave (i use the left overs of a silk fabric i bought as a suit lining , a polish cloth or a sunglasses cloth ll do the trick for you) and you make vertical and horizontal passes a little fast but with not much pressure!!

20. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

This is how much wax I put in for each layer before swirling off

[​IMG]