**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I personally wouldn't put Grasse on anything that wasn't tougher leathers that I didn't want to shine. I have had such horrible experiences with similar products on shoes in the past. I don't care what Saphir says, you won't be able to get the same glossy finish on a pair of fine calfskin if you soak it with all of those oils.

2. Gerry

Gerry Senior member

Do you think Dubbin would have the same effect on leather. It is reccommended for boots as a waterproofing seal but I would not use it if after its use I could not get a shine on my boots with wax polish no matter what type of leather was used in making them. They are C&J Coniston.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012

3. patrickBOOTH

Exactly. Too much oils aren't good.

4. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

well, i agree. though, i use it on the whole shoe to protect them and it's not a problem to attain a shine.

5. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Thanks Kirby, my Renomat is en route! Appreciate the prompt attention. I plan to strip these and start fresh:

[​IMG]

I achieved a great (IMO) mirror, bulled toe but applied the brown kiwi just a tad too high on the vamp so I'm getting hairline cracking in the wax. Upon noticing it, I used renovateur to try and remove the kiwi but as I found out, renovateur doesn't remove kiwi nearly as well as saphir wax. They still look good (again, IMO) but now that I have more experience, I'd like to try again.

It's funny, I emailed these pictures to the AE store manager and he forwarded them to the entire company. Not long ago, I wandered into a different AE store and the store manager recognized the shoes :). My shoes are famous!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012

6. kirbya

kirbya Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Well, first, you only use a very light coat, and, second, you would only use it on the vamp and sides -- place that you would not be seeking to generate a high-gloss shine. After it fully absorbs into the shoe (three days), then there is no problem creating a shine. But it has to fully absorb. If you try to put a polish on your shoes right after, yes, of course, they will absolutely not take a shine. I have just finished using it on almost all pairs of my shoes with great results.

This is getting into the technique of shoecare where, I suppose, there arises disagreement. Something to consider and try. But, I have used it on all my shoes almost -- Grenson Handmades, Alfred Sargents, Allen Edmonds. And the results were impressive. Especially on some of my older pairs where I could tell that the leather was dehydrated and becoming a little distressed.

[​IMG]

Also - it is recommended only as a semi-annual process. Certainly not something used more than once or twice a year.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012

7. kirbya

kirbya Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Gentlemen -

To the point of the above post, I have just put the completing touches on a "Presidential Shine" shoecare tutorial. It is designed for semi-annual use only, as it calls for use of the Reno'Mat and Dubbin. Would be interested in your feedback. I plan on launching it tomorrow.

http://www.hangerproject.com/closet/presidential-shine/

Please be kind. I am sure that there will be points of disagreement. But a lot of work went into it's creation.

8. Bear

Bear Well-Known Member

Patrick - could you post an updated pic of these shoes now that they are breaking in and creasing?

9. patrickBOOTH

Thanks for the info Kirby. Your results doo look very good and I might give it a shot. I would imagine that you need to strip the shoes first, or the finish might make the Grasse harder to penetrate into the leather and it will just sit on top.

10. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Thank you Kirby. I think that you've put together a great instructional tutorial.

I have used a somewhat similar routine for many years - although my basic conditioner was plain old mink oil. Which is super oily. Many people here have said that they would never get a good shine after doing so. But it's never been a problem for me.

In my opinion, the trick is to let the conditioner soak into the leather for at least 24 hours before polishing.

But, as you know, there are as many 'care routines' out there as there are shoe hobbiest. Each seems develop their own 'special blend'. Everyone is going to have a slightly different opinion!

11. patrickBOOTH

But only mine is correct. :teach:

12. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

But of course.

We've come to accept that you are perfect in every way.

Although it's been a bitter pill for some of us to swallow. :butbut:

13. patrickBOOTH

What's one of those lines about time? How it fixes all things? :)

14. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

pshaw!!!!!!!

time only gives bitterness and anger time to marinate into truly sick hatred and obsession!

MWA HA HA HA!

15. patrickBOOTH

Wut? I thought you were napping... :confused: