1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Acetone will remove the mirror shine of the shoe, correct? I cleaned they other day a pair of shoes with Renomat but couldn't take all the wax.

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

3. patrickBOOTH

Saddle soap might have done something aesthetically that you liked and equated to removing the wax, but I don't really believe it did a better job at removing the wax if at all removing the wax. It could have just obscured the haze to where you didn't notice it.

4. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Acetone will also remove the dye ...not just the wax...from leather. Esp. if the leather has been top finished.

5. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

But only if I abuse of it, right? I'm planning to use just a touch to get rid of some of the wax and that's it. Or do you think it may rip off all the finish?

6. DWFII

If you are not looking to strip finish, it is hard not to abuse it...it is very volatile but very "corrosive," as well.

A good analogy might be fine sanding a piece of wood with 100 grit sandpaper when what you really want is something above 300.

7. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Gotcha. So it's a no-no. Thanks! [​IMG]

8. DWFII

There are times when acetone can be useful when refinishing leather or shoes, but, IMO, it's overkill just to remove excess wax build up.

The thing is, by the time a person who is unfamiliar with acetone's properties realizes it is overkill, it is too late--the damage is done. And that can happen in the blink of an eye, essentially.

If you saturate a cloth with acetone, it will strip most finishes. If you only dampen it, it will almost invariably evaporate before you can apply it to the surface of the leather.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  9. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Saddlesoap will definitely remove wax

10. DWFII

But what it leaves in its wake is grease or glycerin--both dirt magnets. And dirt is what causes cracking.

Better to use a ph neutral baby shampoo or Lexol-ph leather cleaner.

11. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Yes. There are manyvthings that can be used. Acetone, Naptha, Isopropanol, Ethanol, Turpentine etc. @DWFII is 100% correct, they can be tricky to work with and its easy to go overboard.

There are gentler alternatives I've even used Lexol to remove wax from shell, slow but Patience is its own reward. I've also used Turpentine on shell. A lot depends on the situation.

12. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

I have not experience dirt being more or less attracted after using saddlesoap. I do make sure to thoroughly remove the residue, and I condition afterwards.

I'm sure the options you provided are excellent. I was just stating saddlesoap will remove wax. My comment was not meant as an endorsement nor a warning. Weather anyone decides to use it or not, is up to them,

13. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

DWFII, would you say that Lexol and Bick 4 are "the same"? There are some packages in Amazon that include Lexol Conditioner and Cleaner, would you recommend using both?

Is this the Lexol-ph you are refering? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B6EL5GM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2IDAR1S7E3D6A

14. DWFII

Well if you make sure it is the Lexol Conditioner and not the Lexol -nf (neatsfoot) a "package" should be OK--it's the right cleaner at the top of the page.

I used to use Lexol exclusively...nothing really wrong with it but I had some few pieces of leather that it would strip the finish from...had to test every piece. Lexol conditioner is a little more water-y than the Bick4, IMO and contains more water.

For some years now, I have liked and preferred the Bick4 and think it is just a little "softer" although used in excess it can leave a dry white film. Whether that's wax or something else I dunno.

edited for punctuation and clarity

1 person likes this.
  15. patrickBOOTH

Surfactants will, but is it as good as a solvent? I have a hard time believing somebody couldn't remove wax with an acetone based stripper, and could with saddle soap. Maybe the acetone loosened it up?

1 person likes this.
  16. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Personally, I don't like Acetone for stripping. YMMV. I've used saddle soap sans any solvent pretreatment effectively, though I suppose it depends on the particulars of the OP's case.

Note: I have not used saddle soap on shell. I've never had a need to.

17. DWFII

There's only two types of saddle soap, that I know of and I've been in this game a long time. One is tallow based, the other is glycerin based. Even though a person rinses really, really well, it is unlikely that the residues can be completely removed with either type of saddle soap.

And then you've got the ph factor....

If in doubt as to whether it is appropriate for shoes...well, the name says it all, doesn't it?

18. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

As I said: My comment was not meant as an endorsement nor a warning. Weather anyone decides to use it or not, is up to them.

All I can add is I do not use it regularly nor as a first choice, but I've had no issues when I have.

19. DWFII

No worries.

That said, my comments were indeed meant as a "warning" or more precisely a caution, if nothing else. There are no shoe police...all I can do is share my experiences over near 5 decades of making shoes and boots and working with leather. Whether people want to take my advice is totally "up to them."

20. MansardRoof

MansardRoof Well-Known Member

I am reminded of the time I used saddle soap on a Brooks leather bike saddle and it split right in half so you're absolutely right to warn people and people need to use caution with saddle soap, (as they should with any chemical). In my situation, the hazing was really bothering me and the boots were only 160.00, so I was ready to try anything and it happened to work.