1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. macher

macher Well-Known Member

Hi. Have a pair of AE Higgins Mill CXL leather. Noticed a stain or spot and don't know it got there. Any suggestions on how to remove it. Thanks![​IMG]

2. EnglishShoes

EnglishShoes Senior member

I recently purchased some Cheaney Tweed C boots in Almond grain leather.

The boots are great, however I am noticing a couple of areas on the tongue which have already rubbed through the grain surface where the eyelet of the boot meets it. The eyelets don't feel particularly sharp but the tongue is particularly soft leather.

Has anyone had this issue before on boots? Any way to resolve this before the scuff becomes a hole?

3. alvinblue

alvinblue New Member

Hello can anybody tell me if there's anything I can do about the blemishes on the toe? Would applying a darker shoe cream help?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  4. shoewizz

shoewizz Well-Known Member

I dont have any helpful suggestions for this, but am experiencing the exact same problem with a pair of sneakers and am also interested to know if people have a solution.

Id be willing to experiment if anyone has decent ideas. My first thought was put superglue over the eyelets to remove the friction of the leather on the metal. But there seems to be a number of ways that could go wrong

5. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

anyone know where i can get some shoe polish cloths that i can put over my hand?

6. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

Use wax polish for better results

1 person likes this.
  7. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

8. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

9. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

So not a glove, correct? I just buy white cotton flannel from the fabric store by the yard. Jo-Ann's is the chain closest to me. Its often on sale 50% off. I think it was $6 a yard (so $3 on sale). Plus if its the end of bolt they'll sell you the remainder for 50% off that. Then I just cut it to the size I want. Sometimes a big sheet, sometimes just a little 5"x5" square. Even full price its cheaper than store bought cloths (and I don't have enough old t-shirt).

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  10. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

1 person likes this.
  11. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

12. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

yea not glove, i;ve been using this little polishing cloth that i got at a hotel i stayed at and its been doing a good job.

13. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Nope, I did not got an answer. But I bought it anyway, I don't think it's as hard a Renomat and I'm very happy with the result. I think the cream and wax settle better when using Bick 4, so I'm happy with it. I haven't tried Lexol but some other have told me that they are basically the same, so I don't know if I should try it.

14. DeSense

DeSense Senior member

Haven't tried Lexol yet (despite having a FB) but can confirm that Bick 4 definitely does not darken the treated leather. And I used it on some pretty light shades. Lexol might.

15. dfwcowboy

dfwcowboy Senior member

It looks as if a darker polish was used on the toes and it has just rubbed off. You can use a darker polish, but I suspect the problem will quickly return. What I would do is strip off the old wax with saddle soap and start over. If saddle soap doesn't restore the finish to a uniform color, you can use Renomat, which is more aggressive at removing old wax, but definitely use it only as a last resort. If you do use Renomat, go over the shoes a couple of times with Bick 4 or some other good leather conditioner afterwards.

16. Munky

Munky Senior member

From the findings of my small observational study, it would seem that 98.7% of men in the UK don't clean or polish their shoes. Even otherwise smartly dressed men seem to forget what are on their feet. For those who have the money, I would think it a good idea for them to buy some Church's bookbinder leather shoes. Presumably, then, all they would have to do is wipe them over with a damp cloth.

While I am moaning, I note that a particularly gross style for young men involves medium brown shoes that are hugely long and which turn up at the toes. These aren't polished, either.

Yours, with considerable concern, Munky.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    3 people like this.
  17. EnglishShoes

EnglishShoes Senior member

I know exactly what you mean!

Even the guys that go to the trouble of sourcing a nicely fitted 3-piece suit for their day at the races seem to finish off their look with a pair of "trendy" cheap pointy brown brogues. Even the cheap brands offer a classic style that might pass as something half decent.

18. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Dammit people don't use saddle soap on leather!

1 person likes this.
  19. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Yeap, it doesn't darken the leather.

20. alvinblue

alvinblue New Member

I bought these from the AE shoe bank and have never put any polish on them, I think these may have just have had some extra aggressive burnishing? I will look into the saddle soap though, thanks for the help.