1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Carl1955

Carl1955 Senior member

2. ClosetEvolution

ClosetEvolution Senior member

I was referencing post #19140, where the poster mentions goat and yak hair brushes being difficult to master.

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I tried a goat hair brush a while back. I bought it due to its softness. I was hoping it would work well as kind of a "polishing" brush, however contrary to my initial thoughts it would smear the surface of the leather's finish. Maybe more use getting the waxes to build on the hairs would have done it justice but as you alluded I didn't have the patience when I had my trusty 15 year old Kiwi.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  4. patrickBOOTH

I think it is about time we talk about conditioners again. I have a bottle of Bick4 and on first use I could tell why it was so popular. It seemed to sink into the leather quickly and leave a dry finish that could be buffed. As it is an emulsified product I inquired with Bickmore on the pH, which they said was about 4.5. Very nice. I tested it with litmus paper and it read closer to 8 or 9, which concerned me. I felt it odd considering the base notes that I smell from the stuff being vinegar-y. I contacted them with my results and they didn't know why it would read so high. Maybe it is an old batch that I got my hands on or something? Who knows. I am not sure if the litmus paper is just not accurate, or what, but I tested white vinegar, which is solidly around 2 and the paper agreed. I've been hesitant to use Bick4 since to be honest. I am also somewhat skeptical of its ability to sink into leather. It does dry clean, but it doesn't seem to disrupt the finish, which I find odd. A conditioner should disrupt the finish if it is penetrating, I would think. I almost have the impression based on the behavior of the product if it isn't largely water and thickening agents that simply evaporate. Of course, Bickmore won't give us any information at all on their product so it is only my opinion based on my experience.

5. Sactogeoff

Sactogeoff Well-Known Member

@Oasis - Think if you do the full strip down (soon) meaning Renomat treatment + saddle soap wash + dry + condition (I'd probably condition more than once) and then start the basic polishing process with a couple coats of cream polish and build from there, it might restore the surface to an acceptable level. But I wouldn't let them sit too long in their current state before addressing it. The idea is to get the salt out of the leather and re-nourish it. Good luck!

6. patrickBOOTH

Don't use saddle soap, it will only make it worse. You can try to use renomat as suggested first , but the leather's fibers have to be shifted back to an acidic state. The seawater is alkaline, which makes the fibers reject the colorstuff, tanning agents and so on. You need to get some distilled water and vinegar and get them good a wet with the stuff. Use 1/3 white vinegar, 2/3 distilled water. Try soaking a paper towel in the stuff and sticking the paper right to the shoe. Wrap it in cellophane to control evaporation and let them sit like that for a bit. Remove the paper towels and let dry a bit. At this point you might be able to work some of the ripples with a bone, or the back of a spoon to mat it down again. When it is fully dry it will need some conditioning and the finish rebuilt slowly.

1 person likes this.
  7. Shubham Sharma

Shubham Sharma New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's amazing how Saphir MDO brings out the lusture on leather shoes. Have tried the same with Lincoln & Angelus but Saphir MDO gives the best shiny results, everytime!!

2 people like this.
  8. Oasis

Oasis Senior member

Thanks very much for the suggestions gents.

In full disclosure this is not a 'happened yesterday event'. It's been just over 3 weeks. I'll give the suggestions a try as I've really nothing to lose! If I can get anything near a return to a uniform finish I'll be happy. If not, I'll put it down to experience and move on - not the end of the world.

I'll update his thread and let you guys know how it goes.

1 person likes this.
  9. Chawk806

Chawk806 Senior member

these are beautiful and my size too. Lol ;)

10. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

[​IMG]

11. Chawk806

Chawk806 Senior member

Are they in eBay? Any others [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. muddy250

muddy250 Senior member

Never saw a pic of the shoes you picked up recently Chawk? Have you posted one?

13. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I'd still take $215 shipped for the shell Alden x Brooks Bros. PTB's. I've got a pair of the brown/tan calf Florsheim Imperial v-cleats that I'm going to fix up and sell. I'll probably want $125 shipped for those if they come out nice.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  14. Chawk806

Chawk806 Senior member

Nope not yet. They fit great but not a lot of opportunity to wear such fine shoes yet. Out on vacation for the past couple of weeks. Hopefully the first of the year. Thanks for asking.

1 person likes this.
  15. Chawk806

Chawk806 Senior member

I'll have to go take a look. Thanks

16. DeSense

DeSense Senior member

@patrickBOOTH

Interesting points on Bick4. If I can get my hands on some litmus paper strips I shall test my two bottles (and report back in due course). Agree that the shown behaviour points firmly in the direction of some water-based emulsion with thickener and some evaporating agent (that prevents darkening).

1 person likes this.
  17. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

Be careful! It easily becomes an addiction.

Thank you! I forgot all about my post here. The LWBs are by Hanover. I purchased them through eBay in the summer of 2013. They arrived dried and I was worried if they were worth wearing/keeping. The return shipping cost was nearly the same as I paid for the shoes. I decided to keep them and experiment to bring them back to life. It took months, but I finally got the confidence to wear them and I'm glad that I did.

1 person likes this.
  18. patrickBOOTH

Please give it a check! I'm curious!

19. DeSense

DeSense Senior member

Definitely. Will see if I can get some litmus at the pharmacy tomorrow.

(Now where is that mass spectrometer when you need it...)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  20. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

What would you gents suggest using to get these welts back looking great again? They are pretty beat up and even kind of hairy looking in a few spots, you can see where the welt isn't beat up toward the bottom of the pic.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016