1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Munky

Munky Senior member

Thanks, PParker, that is an interesting thought...I hadn't considered that. Perhaps a customer had asked for matt shoe caps. They might very well have rejected them on the issue of slightly roughly sanded edges. I think, though, that Tricker's' quality department would have spotted roughness around the edges - particularly at the heel stack, before they let the customer see them.

I have to say, though, that I have two other pairs of exactly the same shoes. The fitting of all of them is the same. Yours, Munky

2. muddy250

muddy250 Senior member

You just need to build it up is all, no need to go for a spit shine but you will need to seal the pores of the leather as if you were going for a spit shine. Once you've built the wax up you'll have the option. From there it's easy to either knock it back to a normal polish or go the whole hog and bull it to death. Takes a couple of mins work either way then. I'm a sucker for glossy toecaps now I have the knack. :)

3. cardno4

cardno4 Member

With reference to the eBay store closing, I'm thinking that with the outlet in Gloucester Quays and the factory shop there's probably not enough spread of decent priced stock.

On the toe caps, if the rest of the shoe is taking shine, slowly, then the toe cap will usually follow. I'm sure you already know it takes time and patience some times. I had a pair of tan brogues that the toe caps on them refused to shine up on them for days. I just kept at them, adding wax polish and buffing off and then they eventually came. All depends on leather//product though.

4. Southwick

Southwick Well-Known Member

Hello, gents...does anyone have pictures or other information which would show worn out Dainite soles ready for replacement? In other words, how do l know when the soles are shot? Mine are showing a slight bit of wear, but I was interested in seeing how they look when it's time to replace them. Thanks, as usual!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I'd guess it is when the nubs get thin and/or you don't have good stability in the shoe.

6. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

Gentlemen, spilled some apple juice on the shoes today. I was hoping you can give some tips on what would be the best course of action.

Thank you in advance

[​IMG]

7. timber09

timber09 Well-Known Member

I wanted to post a quick thank you to all that have posted advice in this thread - I have read maybe 1% of it but am finally comfortable enough to start trying to take care of my own shoes. They guys on the street are going to be pissed and out a fair amount of money though so watch out for them.

Wonderfully informative - thank you all from this noob!

8. Munky

Munky Senior member

Thank you, guys, for your useful advice on my matt toe caps! Season's Greetings, Munky.

1 person likes this.
  9. PParker ESQ

PParker ESQ Well-Known Member

Try a solution of 1 part white distilled vinegar to 2 parts water, dampen a clean paper towel with this and lay it over the stains. Leave it over night or until it has completely dried and that should draw the stain out.

10. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

Thank you. Are you recommending diluting 100% distilled vinegar to 33%? I was unable to find 100% the last time I needed it to remove some salt stains. Ended up using the 5%, which worked ok but the stains were rather minor.

11. PParker ESQ

PParker ESQ Well-Known Member

If you're talking about 5% acidity, then yes that's fine. I use this on beer/alcohol stains which I tend to pick up quite regularly... not that I'm an alcoholic or anything [​IMG]

12. Munky

Munky Senior member

You probably aren't an alcoholic, P. , but please try to cut down a bit. [​IMG]

13. MansardRoof

MansardRoof Well-Known Member

Do I need to remove the wax with Renomat every time I want to reapply cream polish to cover up scuffs? Is there a milder cleaner out there that still removes the wax?

[​IMG]

14. Munky

Munky Senior member

Hello Man. You don't, normally, need to use Renomat, at all. You certainly don't need it every time you polish your shoes. Someone else recently suggested: 'polish about once a month, use Renovateur about ever six months'. That sounded good to me and is pretty much what I do.

Brushing, as you will have picked up from here, is the really important thing. Brush before you go out and brush when you come back. Overall, don't do too much to your shoes and keep brushing them. Yours truly, Munky. PS Your boots look beautiful!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  15. MansardRoof

MansardRoof Well-Known Member

Renovateur on top of the wax? Will it penetrate through the wax and into the leather?

Yes, I have a collection of about 12 brushes right now. [​IMG]

16. Munky

Munky Senior member

Well, Renovateur is a mild conditioner and is widely used, so I guess it gets through the wax. I think that many people would use it, either on its own, or with cream (and, if you like) wax. Used on it's own, it raises a pleasant shine. I have to say, though, that looking at your boots, you are clearly getting everything right! They are really beautiful.

Don't worry too much about your brush collection! I have a pair for every colour. Season's Greetings, Munky.

17. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

That is exactly the recommendation. If the stain persists, give it a second try.

18. Munky

Munky Senior member

At the risk of being obsessed and self-centred, I just want to clarify exactly what the problem is with my Tricker toe caps. The finish of them is matt; they don't have any shine at all. The rest of the shoes shine.

What I am not talking about is a mirror shine, or anything else that gives the toe caps a very bright shine. I really, really, don't want that! I just want to toe caps to match the rest of the shoes in terms of shine. I just want them to look normal. So we are not talking, here, about drops of water and 5 coatings of polish or brushing for five hours, just the desire for my shoes to pleasant. As it stands, I brush them when I go out and when I come in. I have used a thin coating of Renovateur. Still the caps stay completely matt. With every good wish, Munky.

PS. I promise that this is my last posting about this.

19. muddy250

muddy250 Senior member

Give Trickers a ring and see what they recommend.
    I'd give Trickers a ring and see what they recommend. Not obsessed, I'd be exactly the same ;-)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  20. Munky

Munky Senior member

Thanks, Muddy. I will see what happens. M.