1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. starro

starro Senior member

There is solvent in the cream, so it will remove some of the wax layer. Obviously, as you point out, it won't be nearly as effective as a cleaner or wax stripper, but your cream should be able to absorb into the leather no problem, assuming the leather is open pored.

2. DrizztD

DrizztD Well-Known Member

I have a question about suede care.

What can i do about the spots where the lace has chafed the suede from constant lacing and unlacing?

Is it damaging the leather? Will it eventually cut a hole through the leather? lol

3. Munky

Munky Senior member

Hello Narc. It sounds as though you might be putting stuff on your shoes a bit too often. If you brush well, before you put them on and when you take them off, you will keep the shoes looking good. I would only use polish when they obviously need it. That, for me, is longer than 'every 2 weeks to a month'. I have never needed to use Renomat. I only use Renovateur about once a year and I don't use wax. I find that polish brings up a pleasant shine, without the need for wax. Just some thoughts! With best wishes Munky.

4. starro

starro Senior member

Suede is not paper lol, so even the weak split suedes won't be ripped by laces.

Overall nothing to worry about, just general wear and tear (or to put a euphemism on it, "patina"). If you want to get rid of lace impressions, brush with brass wires, then use a suede cleaner on the area. Brush again until it's dry. I doubt it'll get rid of the marks completely, but they should be obscured somewhat.

1 person likes this.
  5. whipstitch

whipstitch Well-Known Member

This is why I wear all my suede shoes without laces like Run DMC [​IMG]

6. starro

starro Senior member

Yeah, IMO suede and other textured leathers only look good on simple shoes without a whole lot of seams. Loafers, PTBs, single monks with no toe capping or medallion... Not on oxfords (although I could be persuaded on wholecuts). A suede brogue, to me, is self-defeating.

7. DrizztD

DrizztD Well-Known Member

That's very reassuring! Been worried about those marks. The aesthetics don't worry me, just longevity.

I'll probably just give it a renovetuer spray every now and again.

Thank you!!

8. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

9. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

That is a kit with one container of cleaner, and one of the conditioner. If you just want the conditioner:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...f_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YAB19HJ8X9F9S2KW7MWA

10. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

11. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

I think it's OK, but it's really meant for leather upholstery.

12. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

@Betelgeuse Bick4

So, I'm still trying to fix the stain on the suede cap posted earlier. I hope it can be fixed and if so, I'm chronicling my travails here so it might be of some use either way to people in the future (not much on suede in this thread).

I will say that I think talc is fine to remove stains from the nap.

Kirby has suggested the following product to me

Saphir Hussard Oil Stain Remover

Has anyone used this on leather or suede?

@NOBD has kindly reminded me of his use of sapphire renovateur to recolor some suede shoes but I'm no longer sure it will work if the stain is in the leather versus the nap. The goal would be to darken the suede to lessen the contrast between splotch and unadulterated suede.

Final option: asking Carmina just to replace the cap perhaps as in a refurbishment.

13. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

I did not understood this mate. [​IMG][​IMG]

14. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

It may be the best thing out there for cleaning shoes or any kind of top grain leather, really. Better than saddle soap by a long shot.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    2 people like this.
  15. starro

starro Senior member

For suede cleaning and conditioning, I've been trying out product from a company out in Norman, OK.

http://www.blackboxproducts.com/col...ede-nubuck-leather-cleaner?variant=1121855065

Their conditioner is actually patented. US #6156833. For more, see http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6156833.html.

Far as my limited chemical literacy is concerned, its mostly water + soybean oil, and trace chemicals. Others more knowledgeable than me are welcome to comment on this product, how beneficial/harmful it is to leather. (they claim to be environmentally friendly, and harmless to leather)

16. TweedyProf

Sorry, I understood you to be looking for a leather conditioner. Lots of people, including @DWFII recommend Bick4. I use it as well and it seems fine.

17. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Oh! Got it. Let me search for it in Amazon. Thanks!

18. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Guys...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Betelgeuse [​IMG]

Guys, would you consider this a major flaw that will make you return this pair and exchange it for other? Or could you live with it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Right shoe with that crease on the heel

[​IMG]

Left shoe, no defect

[​IMG]

19. starro

starro Senior member

If you're able to cost-free, then why not?

20. TweedyProf

I'd ask for a discount. If it doesn't affect the structure of the shoe, it's not that visible so I wouldn't sweat it.