**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't really count how many times I wear them, but I probably put reno on them and buff more than I put on wax.

2. kirbya

kirbya Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I was able to speak to Saphir about this question. The Creme Cordovan has a lower amount of turpentine than the Pommadier Cream and the addition of Neats Foot Oil to help the nutrients penetrate the closed pours of cordovan leather. They said that you could use a wax on top of the Creme Cordovan to bring up the shine. However, given that Saphir makes a polish specifically for cordovan, I'd stick to it primarily. Another note on the Creme Cordovan -- because of the wide variety of cordovan finishes, don't hesitate using just the Creme Cordovan neutral or combining one or more colors of Creme Cordovan to match the finish of your shoes. The benefits of using this cordovan-specific polish far outweigh not using it at all or using something that is not designed specifically for this unique leather.
    I was also able to ask about the turpentine ratio of neutral creams/waxes vs. pigmented creams/waxes. A little granular, if you ask me, but I was told that it is the same. I was told that the 1925 Saphir MDO Polishes starts with a large batch of a neutral base and then introduces pigment into smaller batches to produce the colors. However, this answer did not come from someone at the laboratory, so take it only for face value. As always, it was suggested that one always first test the polish on a small, hidden piece of leather before applying it to the entire shoe. And if the finish of one's shoe is so delicate that a minute difference in turpentine might affect it, I wouldn't take Reno'Mat anywhere near the finish. It would completely strip it. Speaking of Reno'Mat, I am hoping to receive it Monday or Tuesday. It shipped yesterday. I'll add it to the website today / tomorrow. Orders will ship once it arrives.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012

3. patrickBOOTH

Afew years ago I spoke to Ron Rider about the cordovan cream vs. renovateur. He said that he thinks the reno produces a better shine. Now, I am curious about the turpintine levels in reno vs. cordovan cream...

4. grendel

grendel Senior member

Thanks Kirby! That's great information.

Speaking of creams for cordovan, after seeing that Nick Horween recommended Venetian Cream, I ordered some... I couldn't see paying $15 total ($5 + $10 shipping) for 2 oz, so I got a quart for like $24. Hopefully this stuff lasts for a while with a good shaking.

5. kirbya

kirbya Senior member Affiliate Vendor

From my understanding, the Reno does not contain turpentine.

Yes - Ron is a big fan of the Renovateur (he still is) for Cordovan. Ron never imported the Creme Cordovan until we asked for it, also, so the Renovateur was, of course, the best thing to use of what he had available.

In no way do I recommend not using it. It's totally appropriate to use Renovateur on your cordovan. However, that said, Saphir did develop the Creme Cordovan specifically for cordovan. Why not use it?

One should be able to achieve a good shine with the Creme Cordovan -- it still contains waxes. It might require a little extra buffing or a Lambswool Shine Mitt.

I just purchased a pair of cordovan boots from Ron. They're too large, so I'm waiting to exchange them for a smaller size. Once I have a pair that fits, I'll begin experimenting and post some pictures.

6. patrickBOOTH

Thanks for the info. Good luck with the boots! I love my pairs from Ron.

7. patrickBOOTH

I tried this stuff recently and I don't like it. I tried it on some calf leather and it seems to leave the same kind of residue meltonian nuetral creams leave. it sort of leaves this white gunk in the creases. reminds me of how silicone based products just sit on the top and don't get absorbed as much.

8. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Thanks for the great info Kirby. And thanks for being the first US source of renomat!

9. Bear

Bear Well-Known Member

That's what i do.

[​IMG]

Jeffery, Please do tell what make, model, and color are these shoes? Beautiful!

10. patrickBOOTH

The look like Edward Green Chelseas in chesnut?

11. glenjay

glenjay Senior member

I use Allen Edmonds neutral paste, which seems very low in solvents, on my cordovan shell (about every 15 to 20 wears) and it has worked very well. I am looking forward to Kirby carrying the Saphir Cordovan Cream and plan to place an order for a few things from him next week.

[​IMG]

12. Ivon

Ivon Senior member

I just picked up a pair of Lobbs in Dark Brown Museum, my supply of Saphir shoe cream is limited to black and neutral atm. I would like to get a colored shoe cream for them, any suggestions from the Saphir MoD range that would be the best match for that color. I do not live near a JL store and I don't see shoe cream on their e-store. Plan on picking up some Renomat from Kirby when he gets it in, might as well grab more Renovateur and a brown shoe cream at the same time to justify shipping costs.

On a side note, what's everyone's opinion on EG Edwardian Antique? Close to pulling the trigger on a MTO EG and saw a pair of EG Falkirks in that color on Leather Soul, 2009 and long sold out. Thanks

13. Kuro

Kuro Senior member

Hi, Will you be carrying the saphir beaute de cuir creme surfine?

14. ljrcustom

ljrcustom Senior member

15. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

[​IMG]

Ive got a horsebrush, obenuafs heavy duty, but no polish. What can I do to these? Should I brush, but a thick layer of obenuafs on let it sit over night, and then go out and he some kiwi black polish at a drug store?? I've never polished a boot.