1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. PParker ESQ

PParker ESQ Well-Known Member

From what I understand of this kind of bubbling, the leather has to be completely saturated. Then as the leather dries, salt from either the chrome tanning process, sweat, pavement grit etc crystalizes under the surface leather pushing the layers apart leaving the uneven surface.

So I guess the quality of leather in the shoes comes into question as much as what they have been exposed to.

Although I am by no means an expert or scientist.

1 person likes this.
  2. CaptainCat

CaptainCat New Member

Thanks for the response. I guess I'll get Dainites sewn on and keep them as my rain beaters.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  3. jb1987

jb1987 Active Member

Does anyone know where (if anywhere) I could buy saphir products in Arizona?

4. Pierson v Post

Pierson v Post Senior member

Amazon.com

5. jb1987

jb1987 Active Member

Lol thanks but I meant in person... And saphir on Amazon is not prime and the wax polish is still 2.99 shipping so not any different buying from there or any other online place that sells it

6. Munky

Munky Senior member

Are painted shoes similar to corrected grain ones? Yours truly, Munky.

7. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Depends on what you mean with painted shoes; if they look like these I would say yes:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. Munky

Munky Senior member

These do look very attractive. I think our kitchen was painted in this colour, with this paint. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

Impossible to wear those, impossible to cook in your kitchen.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. EnglishShoes

EnglishShoes Senior member

Do you mean a painted patina?

That is where various leather dyes are painted onto the shoes using a brush or sponge.

11. Munky

Munky Senior member

Yup, I know what 'painted patina' is. I was thinking more broadly than that. Some shoes are painted to give an artificial patina effect and others are painted in an even colour tone. What is the leather like, underneath? Is it the sort that would be used to make corrected grain or can some painted shoes be made of high quality leather?

12. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

any thoughts on either of these for business casual wear?

loake 1880 at about $200 each

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

I'm not sure about the "business" part, but the bottom boot is very practical for casual wear, the top shoe not so much.

14. jb1987

jb1987 Active Member

If you mean business casual in general I think they are fine and I like them. However, if you mean for a job I would definitely see what others are wearing and it depends on the industry. Business casual in finance is vastly different then business casual in IT, etc.

15. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

I'm trying to stretch my shoes.
    How long do I need to leave my shoe stretcher in the shoe? I've seen conflicting information -- anywhere from 2 hours to 2 days.
    I'm hoping that 6 hours is enough.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  16. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

Enough.

1 person likes this.
  17. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

I don't see why painted shoes cannot be made with high quality leather. Corthay comes to mind as an example.

18. Steven Cash

Steven Cash Senior member

I am buying my first pair of (tobacco) suede shoes this month and want to order the necessary products to keep them in tip top shape in readiness for their arrival.

I have always had success with Saphir Medaille D'or and as A fine Pair of Shoes are such an excellent company I have decided to use the Medaille D'or range.

My question is does one really need all of the available products to look after suede shoes "properly"?

By reading this thread it seems that...

https://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/...renovator-suede-spray-250ml?variant=338219026

...is recommended on the first wear to give the shoes some much needed moisture...

https://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/products/saphir-super-invulner?variant=338219022

...and then a spray of this to keep them repelling dirt, liquid etc.

If these products are used in conjunction with the crepe brush and wire brush are the erasers and shampoo required for the general maintenance or as a back up for worst case scenario?

The shoes will be used very infrequently (summer or dry weather use only 2-3 times a month) so unless I'm very unlucky will never get badly soiled and would (I hope) only require general maintenance.

The other products I have debated are...

https://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/products/saphir-mdo-suede-multicleaner?variant=338218926

https://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/products/saphir-super-gommadin?variant=338218884

...which I assume is for the actual removal of stains whereas if the top two products are used appropriately they will prevent such stains?

All thoughts very much welcomed.

19. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Horse brush, coconut oil shampoo (any) water and a sponge. No need to buy so many stuff (maybe the spray protector?)

1 person likes this.
  20. Steven Cash

Steven Cash Senior member

Interesting. I know with these premium products (car polishes, nutrition supplements etc) a fool and his money are often parted by clever marketing so this would seem to be the case here?

I had understood that a crepe brush was best for suede however you seem to have achieved good results with horsehair.

Thanks.

1 person likes this.