1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Woodspiral

Woodspiral New Member

My feet tend to get hot and sweaty with little provocation. Any sort of plast, rubber, or artificial fibers seem exacerbate the problem.

Before you try anything else, try wearing a pair of merino wool socks. Merino wool is an incredible natural material that absorbs sweat and stays dry. I can wear a pair of merino socks for a whole week and they remain beautifully soft and odour free. Merino wicks sweat away from your body allowing you to stay dry and comfortable. I have merino wool base layers for camping that never smell and keep me super warm. Karrimor do a lovely pair of merino wool walking socks which are nice and chunky and will help your feet stay dry and confortable. You might find that your boot shape is bearable if your feet are at least comfy. Finally if you have an aversion to wool or find it irratates your skin, like me, don't worry because merino wool is about a 1,000 times finer than normal wool so wayyyy less stratchy. :D

2. Sushi

Sushi Member

Thanks, benhour. My room temperature is around 27C. I'll give your method a try, but it's not radically different from what I've been doing. The difference is that every guide I've seen says to use the tiniest amount of polish and you're recommending a "generous" amount :)

Update: tried benhour's approach:

77F = 25C
    [​IMG]

Generous amount of wax
    [​IMG]

Polished for at least 40-50 minutes while watching TV with some addition of water/polish every now and then. I think the shoe got a little shinier, but still no mirror finish. I wouldn't mind polishing longer if I knew I'm doing the right thing, but from the what I've read, it seems like this amount of polishing is more than enough for a mirror shine.

Results: polished shoe on the left
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any tips?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  3. chogall

chogall Senior member

http://www.amazon.com/Saphir-Renova...8&nodeID=7141123011&keywords=saphir+shoe+care

There are tons of vendors online, from Hanger Project, Wingtip, all the way to UK vendors and eBay and Amazon. Search for best pricing.

This product has tons of color pigments, hardens, can be used to fill minor cracks/cuts.

Shoe goo will also harden to a pliable surface. Just need to put a but of dye over the repaired area. Cream works (not as well). If you have trouble spreading shoe goo, use ice; it doesnt stick to ice but sticks to your fingers and drags to metals.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  4. jb1987

jb1987 Active Member

Hey Guys! I know some of you will be a little annoyed at my post, but I have read through some of this thread but there is just so much information and I just want a quick response for my specific needs. I am a finance student and have a few pairs of "ok" shoes to the standards of this forum haha. Obviously I do not have a lot to spend on shoes at the moment. I am also starting a paid internship this summer so I would like to fix up what I do own. Just today I actually purchased a pair of Paul Evans Martin wholecut in marrone.

The shoes I have are black johnston murphy wing tips, black johnston murphy melton cap toe which I actually purchased on Ebay for about $60.
    A brown pair of Aldos and the grey/blueish pair are Steve madden. I would like to know what a quality brush/shoe kit would be that is not too expensive and specifically which brushes I need and if you guys use polishing clothes or just old shirts. I also need polish and other shoe care items. I know Saphir is popular but not sure on the best place to purchase or colors to get (besides black).

I am planning on buying the renovator but what about for the suede? Also how do I get stains out of the leather or on the denim material on the blue shoes?

From the pictures the problems I have are the Melton cap toes have some scuffs I would like to get out if possible and hopefully prevent in the future. It upsets me that they scuff so easily.
    The brown aldos I actually used to wear a lot when I went out and spilled certain beverages on them and now they are stained. If there is a way to fix these up please let me know. The top part is suede. 3rd picture is true to color.
    For the grey shoes I think they are some sort of denim material and suede.

Basically I would just like a little guidance and list of what to buy and where. I live in Arizona if there is anywhere to buy Saphir products here. For the Paul Evans Marrone color would you buy a specific color of wax or just neutral? Also, should I buy both cream and wax? Cream in specific color and wax in neutral? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. chogall

chogall Senior member

Your local shoe/luggage repair cobblers should have everything you need. They should all carry the stiff and soft brushes, more shoe cream than you could imagine, tons of waxes, lexol conditioner, and all things shoecare related. Use old T-shirt and skip the expensive 'polishing' clothes. Or your local Safeway/Rons/supermarket or Rite-Aid/Walgreens/drugstore . Saphir is not needed.

For conditioning, Lexol conditioner works wonders. Or Bick4.

To clean fabric shoes, just use laundry detergent diluted with water to wash, rinse them clean, and stuff with newspapers.

If you are dead set on spending hundreds to go all Saphir/Collonil/Boot Black/etc, they can be readily found on Amazon, eBay, Hanger Project, Wingtip, etc. Search engine is your friend.

That black shoes scratch will be easily fixed using black wax polish.

1 person likes this.
  6. jb1987

jb1987 Active Member

Thank you! I am not deadset on Saphir just thought it was the best. Which brand of wax/cream do you suggest?
    On cleaning fabric shoes do you just rub the detergent/water mix on them and then rinse?
    For the brown shoes what do you suggest for the drink stains on the leather? Do I just use the conditioner and some brown/neutral polish? What can I use to clean the suede and protect it from getting damage in the future?
    Lastly, I saw this brush set on amazon and it had good reviews and a good price but not sure I need the daubers since it seems like everyone puts polish on with a rag? http://www.amazon.com/FootFitter-Cl...liid=I358EWTWED2ABE&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

Thanks again!

7. Cuebert

Cuebert Well-Known Member

Many thanks for the help!

So this is what the shoe looks like:

[​IMG]

The thing is: I don't want them to get too shiny. Maybe I should just use less water than usual while applying the wax?

What colour of the pictures above would you suggest? - I think I should just go with the medium brown in the middle. Do you agree?

8. WhereNext

WhereNext Senior member

You're probably not going to get much color change using the wax, as they tend to not have tons of pigment in them. You'd get more color change using a dark colored cream (have more pigment generally than wax) and then use a darker colored wax as well over that.

9. benhour

benhour Senior member

Generally you have to know that the amount of polish(applications) you lee need to achieve mirror shine depends :

1) the surface of the leather(the smoother the leather the less amount o polish you are going to need)
    2) brogues need more application in general because a significant amount of polish ends in the brogueing holes!
    3)Dried wax tends to build mirrorshine faster because the absence of solvents(dont destroy your wax for that hahaha)
    the amount of polish you are using is ok for the first 1-2 applications after that you have to use a lot less or the solvents ll strip off the previous layers !! try to blow on them when doing the circular motions to cool the wax faster!
    Most of the time you need about 15-20 for both shoes ( with much practice and experience you can drop time even under 10 )and you ll end with something like :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

judging from the photo the finish is sprayed on top with toe to heel direction i can see 3 options!

1) use renomat to remove most of the burnishing
    2) use cream polish ((not wax)one application of dark brown ll be ok)
    3)dye pair dark brown

i would go with 1 or 2!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  10. Sushi

Sushi Member

Thanks, I'll keep polishing with less wax. Beautiful photos! :)

11. MansardRoof

MansardRoof Well-Known Member

This is dejavu from my post about three weeks ago. I ended up returning the pair of shoes I shined because the medallions were not punched correctly and it was driving me crazy. I started the whole process again with a brand new pair of shoes. I thought I had the process down. Well I didn't.

If you watch shoe snobs video, the first step is to apply wax without any water and let the shoes sit for a day. I don't think you need to wait 24 hrs but you definitely need to do this step first to protect the medallions holes from the water. Once you have your base layer of wax down, then you can start applying the wax a little more generously with the water. Not a glob but you can rub your fingers in the tin 2-3 times until it's coated. The shine comes from a combination of the wax and the friction created by water. When you've practiced enough, the amount of pressure you apply with come to you naturally. It did for me anyways.

12. Munky

Munky Senior member

I should know the answer to this, but don't. Should you use shoe trees in shoes made of waxy, distressed, leather that has a slight pull-up effect?

13. rbhan12

rbhan12 Senior member

Well, why wouldn't you?

2 people like this.
  14. chogall

chogall Senior member

Why would you give shape to those distressed finished shoes like this? If they are designed to look like shit, keep them like shit.

[​IMG]

15. Munky

Munky Senior member

Thank you for your useful comments on this issue, Chogall. I appreciate your taking time to give some, considered, thought to this. I am not at all sure that my shoes look anything like the boots in your illustration. As always, you are a gentleman and a scholar. Yours, as always, Munky. [​IMG]

16. chogall

chogall Senior member

The problem is SC puts too much polish on the toe cap. You can either strip off polish at the toe or add color to the rest of the shoes. Shoe cream polish works way better if you want to achieve similar color v

17. chogall

chogall Senior member

Not sure what kind of distressed waxy shoes are you talking about so I used a picture of $$$$ Guidi street wear boots.

If you spent that much money for those boots, it would be a waste and a sin to try to straighten out with trees or over care for them.

18. Carl1955

Carl1955 Senior member

Check out this link, it may be of some assistance?

http://www.styleforum.net/a/what-to...ur-shoes-like-a-real-pro-and-how-do-you-do-it

Regards

Carl.

19. Soupy

Soupy Active Member

Knowledgeable gentlemen of the Shoe Care thread, I have a question about the behavior of light colored leather creasing and darkening. Below is a photo taken in sunlight of a pair of Allen Edmonds Flatirons in Walnut calf. I am not the original owner so I do not know their care history, just that they came heavily creased. I don't mind creasing and know it is a natural part of wearing shoes, however the dark color in these creases makes them significantly more prominent than with my other Walnut Strands from Allen Edmonds. Can you see how there is a lot of black or otherwise not-Walnut coloration across much of the toes and vamp? Particularly in the creases between the medallion and the laces.

I have tried a variety of products but generally with light applications because I wasn't sure what might help and what might hurt. Between each product application I waited 24 hours to ensure the shoes were "dry" from the previous attempt when necessary. I've tried Saphir Reno'Mat, Lexol Conditioner, Allen Edmonds Conditioner / Cleaner, and Meltonian Brown cream. My gut thinks it's either leather that is actually stripped of dye, but then I would have expected the Meltonian to have a bigger effect, or it is left over (dark) polish from the previous owner but I would have thought the Reno'mat or other products would have taken care of this. Again, I only used the Reno'Mat and the Meltonian in light amounts so if directed I could certainly use them more liberally. For what it's worth, the leather still feels healthy and nowhere near cracking or significant damage. Any direction would be greatly appreciated!

[​IMG]

20. NeyZan

NeyZan Member

Just keep Trying you are in the right path... Some shoes take longer polishing time... Try longer time with the circular motion, your target is to heat up the wax through friction, so try to re-wax, spit, breathe without stoping or lifting the cloth for long. I managed it in 20 minutes in some shoes and 1h and a half in others, you might as well use neutral wax alternating with black... You can get it, it's just a matter of time ;) [​IMG] [​IMG] I[​IMG]

2 people like this.