1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Quasi-frog-flapper

1 person likes this.
  2. Munky

Munky Senior member

It's name is Sarah.

4 people like this.
  3. eddiegreen

eddiegreen Senior member

Thank you very much gentlemen.

4. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

I always use the stay stitch...never thought the half-moon flap was all that attractive, and often covers up a less than complete closure of the facings.

That said, I've never seen both at the same time...maybe I just wasn't looking. In any case, unless I'm mistaken, the flap does not cover the frog. It's one or the other.

FWIW...

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  5. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior member

This makes me uncomfortable. Could you at least wipe them down so I can feel a little better?

If you're doing field testing, how about conditioning one and not the other?

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Nah, they get more attention in my office than my nice shoes! They have developed holes in the soles and they will see the garbage soon.

7. parkman24

parkman24 Senior member

Hello gents,

This is a crosspost from the EG Appreciation thread. However, I have a small concern that I hope you all can answer.

While I brush my shoes before and after every wear (including suede), I have noticed that one of the shoes has "hairs(?)" coming out of it. Perhaps an indication that I may have brushed a little to hard at one point? Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

[​IMG]

8. atia2

atia2 Senior member

You need to ascertain whether this is just normal "nap" or whether the suede has been damaged by overbrushing. If it is just the nap standing up, then brushing (or even wiping by hand) in the opposite direction will smooth it back down. I must admit it looks rather too severe to be nap. If you have damaged the leather, then you could try singeing the "hairs" off carefully with a flame. I have done this successfully for frayed stitching but never for damaged leather like this. Therefore, I cant guarantee the outcome will be to your satisfaction. The method is to align the shoe so that you can see the hairs clearly (preferably against a light background); hold the flame away from the area you want to singe; and then gradually move to flame towards the hairs until it is close enough to singe them off but no closer.

9. dbhdnhdbh

dbhdnhdbh Senior member

Nick,

Thanks. I did the warming because someone told me to. Said it leads to better adhesion. Certainly it would be nice to avoid it. But I do find the protectors soften up and cut more cleanly.

The jack has such an ancient 19th century cool look I might get it for that reason alone.

The barge I use is the blue tube type. I think that is all purpose, not rubber?

10. Munky

Munky Senior member

My advice would be as follows. Boil for 20 minutes in chicken stock. Bake in a hot oven. Use a Saphir product (any one will do). Enjoy wearing your shoes. Faithfully yours, Munky.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  11. wolfpacktime243

wolfpacktime243 Member

Hey guys, anyone here with Tricker's shoes in their Acorn Antique calf leather? I bought a pair of Bourton Brogues a couple of weeks ago and promptly spilled coffee on them. There is now a discoloration right on top of my left foot (looks like a dark circle surrounded by a lighter colored ring) and you can see that in the photo I attached here. I have been periodically wiping the spot down with a damp cloth but haven't had much luck yet. I'm starting to wonder if I should try some Saphir Renovateur but don't want to do anything that may cause any more issues! Any ideas?

[​IMG]

12. chogall

chogall Senior member

Reno should do the trick so should creams. Or any shoe leather conditioner would do.

13. adagio

adagio Senior member

Yes but that image was taken after I had polished both shoes. I'll give it a try again again though as you suggested.

14. tharkun

tharkun Senior member

Too bad. Thye about look in line with most non running shoes I see at the office. Just yours are "nice" cap toe bals vs. weird square toe monsters I see :)

15. Munky

Munky Senior member

I sometimes think that the less I do to my shoes, the better they look.

2 people like this.
  16. cypi2

cypi2 Senior member

Saphir creme universelle is also a pretty good cleaning/nourishing cream, and, it should do the job you are looking for. But be careful if you use it: it can sometimes take a bit of the maker's burnishing off if applied repeatedly over a short time span.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  17. chogall

chogall Senior member

AFAIK it's the diluted Renovateur.

18. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

deleted since I apparently can't read... *sigh*

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  19. MansardRoof

MansardRoof Well-Known Member

Thanks! Working from home + conference calls equals really polished shoes [​IMG]

20. cypi2

cypi2 Senior member