• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would you mirror shine the whole upper? It will crack and look crappy as soon as you walk in them.
This is why I was asking if you had pics of the "Travers method." I think you are doing way too much to your shoes, including things that I have a difficult time believing are beneficial. How many pairs of shoes do you have in your rotation? How do you deal with scuffs and wear if you are only doing this a couple of times a year as you stated here? If you are honestly walking 20 or 30 miles a day, then that's an unbelievable amount of wear on your dress shoes. Something doesn't add up here.
I know. That happened... Refer to my talk to Pat for references. That **** happened.

I know there are things I did which is difficult to believe, therefore, if you cannot, I would not recommend. It's not like I am the only one doing it - examples of greasing shoes include Benhour, and another SF gents who also did that the other day, although the crazier attempt was with canned mink oil.

Dealing with scuffs was an interesting one. Did you know that Glen's polish can last really long? As in, once I get home, I clean the shoes and all, and with just a drop of water on my brush, I can literally buff the scuffs out, set the shoes to rest, and that was all done. Nothing else was ever done to them. I only give them another coat of polish when they seems to dry or soak up water - and it's Glen's polish.

I know I walked too much in my shoes, but caring and pampering them maybe one thing, but I did not buy them to make them babies in my house. They should be make for walking. A lifespan of 5 years like Pat's? I'll see if it ends there. If it gets beat up in any longer amount of time? Wonderful! If it ends up ruined too early? Too bad. Not made for walking.

As I said, I cannot promise you, but there will be times when I will open a thread, with full pics and writings on how I managed to do it, and you can witness it all for yourself. As of right now, you may keep much of the doubt as you wanted. I already posted pictures of them. Prefer to that.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know I walked too much in my shoes, but caring and pampering them maybe one thing, but I did not buy them to make them babies in my house. They should be make for walking.

Well, I'm with you on this point anyway. I do a lot of shoe maintenance, but they are made to be worn.

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the amount of deemed unnecessary maintenance I did on them, I am a lot more confident to walk more on them. Babying the shoes are just awkward and takes the fun out of walking.

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What's your problem? Why do you people have to call me copeland for?

I did what I did for a reason, and I managed it very well, and if you cannot respect that like many others, walk away. Don't start. Don't make me feel sick of it.

It's not like I have none but one single pair of shoes. I have 4 pairs. And I still grease them because I find the effectiveness in doing so, and as Pat mentioned, I was able to find the fine line of it.

Again, just because I did something you cannot do, don't turn me into copeland just to sit on your sorry asses to laugh on. It is getting seriously worse.

There's been many cases of tragedies happened on this thread from people following some presidential shoe shine.

With your post count in this thread it's just a matter of time before people asking for resolutions for overly greased dress shoes.

Or maybe one day you will share some of your shoes to better demonstrate your success.

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's been many cases of tragedies happened on this thread from people following some presidential shoe shine.

With your post count in this thread it's just a matter of time before people asking for resolutions for overly greased dress shoes.

Or maybe one day you will share some of your shoes to better demonstrate your success.
Refers to the post with my wholecuts. I don't do presidential shoe shines. I don't even do bulling, or brush shine with waxes anymore, FWIW. I am not yet with sufficient time for a thread about how I do things to my shoes, and I can only expect one in the future.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Traverscao, have you ever make numbers in order to see wether or not is more profitable for your pocket to buy another pair of shoes instead of so many shoe cleaning stuff to test?. I imagine you can spend a lot of money/time on those if I am not mistaken?. Please do not misunderstand me.

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I forgot, he did post his wholecut here:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/228153/...ad-tutorials-photos-etc/12810_30#post_7610928

Travers, how many pairs do you have in your rotation? Mostly AEs, or what brands? (If you've posted this before, I don't remember.) Sorry, if that's being nosy, I'm just trying to understand how and why you are doing all this to your shoes.
Two pairs of calfskin (used to be four, but two died), and two pairs of shells. Shells seems to last a lot longer. And it is always OK to ask.

Hi Traverscao, have you ever make numbers in order to see wether or not is more profitable for your pocket to buy another pair of shoes instead of so many shoe cleaning stuff to test?. I imagine you can spend a lot of money/time on those if I am not mistaken?. Please do not misunderstand me.
I tend to lean towards caring for them. I am saving up for bespoke(s) projects, so, I try not to buy anymore of these shoes. However, I take good care of them so that they may become heritage pieces, or a memo piece. It's OK to ask, once again.

I might as well do a huge bespoke project, once I am nicely settled.

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me why the tongue on my left Trickers boot might keep migrating to the outside of my ankle? It's a bit vexing, as the right one stays dead on. I wonder if it's a flaw in the sewing of the tongue or just some strangeness in my gait...

westie187

Reaction score
Who is David Copeland? :puzzled:

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me why the tongue on my left Trickers boot might keep migrating to the outside of my ankle? It's a bit vexing, as the right one stays dead on. I wonder if it's a flaw in the sewing of the tongue or just some strangeness in my gait...
My guess is stitching flaw.

Who is David Copeland?
puzzled.gif
OMG really, West? I mean, honestly, really?

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took my new, red, Tricker's out for a walk, today And no-one laughed.
mwink[1].gif

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seriously Munky, I wear burgundy socks that looks more red than Bordeaux. Why would anyone laugh at me?

Carson

Reaction score
Alden Indy boots are famous for that … it drives me crazy. I think some people have a cobbler sew it to the upper so it stays put.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads